Security while boondocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cuspins

I'm just wondering what other folks do for security while boondocking?

My husband and I just bought an RV with a garage in the back to haul our dual sport motorcycles. We expect there will be many days during which the RV will be left unattended for the full day while we explore backcountry trails on our bikes. I'm currently debating just buying decals that claim the RV has a security system to deter would-be delinquents or if I ought to invest in a real system that may or may not have service at any given location.

I've been looking at the Remote Coast RV Command system. It's the only system I can find with a reasonable price tag ($299 + $8.99/monthly service fee).

What are your thoughts, suggestions, other options to consider?

After ten years of full timing and a lot of boondocking I simply don't worry about it. I find campgrounds and RV parks are some of the safest spots in the country. I can't even remember the last time someone posted a thread here about getting something stolen. I live in an RV park and I keep all my grilling stuff outside on a table and it never gets stolen. I don't even bother to lock my door at night while sleeping.

??? Dogs with sharp teeth!!  8) Really; a super loud alarm that pierces their ears;  virtual dogs barking and growling on a recorder that turns on with the alarm system!  ;D As long as your boondocking and not staying in parking lots or RV parks!

You can get a nice camera with motion sensors for the same or less money.  They will send a video message to your phone within seconds of detecting motion, and you don't have to worry about a monthly service fee.

Hi.........

Information on RV crime statistics is difficult to locate because of the extreme rarity of the event. But that doesn't mean one should approach rv crime with an attitude of unconcern. Much of crime prevention in any environment has a lot to do with common sense and previous posts here make valid points and its always a good idea to not make yourself look like an easy mark as well as to give an impression that any unsocial activity by someone toward you is simply not worth the effort........

Also Human psychology can play a big part in that if you present an appearance of offense peopel will generally stay away from you (you're  out boondockin' right? You want then to leave you alone anyway).

Here's something I put to use along time ago when I was involved in high performance boating that worked really well to keep people away from my boat. A little background: My boat was a 35' Formula go fast - had twin tweaked 500 hp's and ROCKED! at close to a 90 mph boat. Whenever your partying etc as boaters tend to do; there are always peeps of all ages that want to chek out your boat and while your mingling and parting drinkin etc, you tend to get a little nervous about some of them getting a little too close.......

Well one day I was doing some remodeling on my house and was staining the trim work or cabinets or something with a nice walnut stain and a great idea came to me. I went and got a couple pair of my fruit a the looms and wiped some a the walnut stain on the inside back of em........ and when ever I was boat parting somewhere at the docks, marinas , beach, etc I would toss those two pair a walnut stained uunderwear on the back seat of the boat and/ or the engine cover and when I'ld be off mingling I'ld keep an eye on the boat and sure enough if peeps started lookin it over; as soon as their eyes came in contact with those faux poop stained pairs of skivvies THEY WERE GONE!! Haha Worked I thought to myself........

Well I've transferred concepts similar to this to my Rv boondocking experience & repertoire. If some delinquents show up and get the idea that the trailer is inhabited by someone who is CRA CRA and more of scum than them!!! they will leave you alone.

..........ain't sayin I'm just sayin. Thanx...........INTJohn 

jdq1986 said:
You can get a nice camera with motion sensors for the same or less money.  They will send a video message to your phone within seconds of detecting motion, and you don't have to worry about a monthly service fee.

I have such a system in my house which of course has full time 120v power and internet access. But I think the OP was asking about such a system with perhaps only 12v DC power available and no reliable internet access. The cameras can be rigged for 12v power but reliable internet access is not always or even mostly available in most RV parks and of course while boondocking.

I would buy a small safe and hide it someplace. Keep all your valuables and special documents in there. If someone does break in and steals the TV, Microwave and anything else, call your insurance agent after you call the police. Just make sure your insurance is paid up. That's what insurance is for. It wouldn't hurt to video record all your belongings for future reference

We boondock in remote areas with little traffic.

Bad guys are not going to randomly cruise remote forest roads looking for victims.  The only thieves you are likely to encounter are driving around on other business and see a target of opportunity.  And that has never happened to me.  I have left stuff out while we were out and about and nothing has been taken.  I have seen footprints around the outside of my rig, but nothing missing.

Just take prudent precautions and you will be fine.  Do not leave anything out you can stow away.  Lock down what you cannot stow.  A simple bicycle cable lock is enough to deter the casual thief looking for an easy mark.  While gone, I keep my generators locked to the bumper on the side away from the road, and throw a camo tarp over them.  A couple yards of camo cloth from Walmart works fine.  The tarp hides the shape and color of the gennies, so they do not stand out to anyone driving down the road.

A lot depends on where you're boondocking.  If you're all by yourself, miles from nowhere there's little chance of anything happening while you're gone.  Crooks go for the low hanging fruit, and there's much better pickings closer to town.

But there are times where you should be prudent.  For example, the upper cliff boondocking lot in Laughlin is infamous for having portable generators wander off.  It's on the edge of town, so it's easy for someone to cruise in, grab whatever's not locked down and get out.  Unless someone actually catches the thief in the act there's a good chance they'll make a clean getaway.

On the opposite side of the equation, I lived on an island in Washington State with only a single bridge going to it.  You had to drive about a mile and a half across another island to get to the bridge, and the sheriff's office on the other side was closer than that.

A call to the sheriff would result in a deputy waiting for the bad guys at the bridge.

Because of this, we rarely locked our doors and left things outside without giving them a second thought.  Property crimes were virtually unknown, there were much easier targets with multiple escape routes on the mainland.

Back
Top Bottom