hmmm....ram 3500 or f350 srw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbksv

I am looking at 5th wheels of about 13k dry weight..15500 ish gvwr and also a new truck. I like the back seat set up in the fords better but the ram has over a 17k towing capacity..compared to the 15700 ish for the ford. For what I am towing would it be better to have a little more payload/towing capacity or do you think the ford would be enough? I dont want a drw due to this being my daily driver as well. I will be towing mostly flat areas but occasional mountains. Thanks

chevy 3500 much more comfortable than either Ram 3500 or F350 - i have 17000lb towing and 4000lbs cargo

Attachments

• IMG_20160208_134256.jpg
    IMG_20160208_134256.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 51
steveblonde said:
chevy 3500 much more comfortable than either Ram 3500 or F350 - i have 17000lb towing and 4000lbs cargo

That an opinion.... ;D

I think the Ford would be enough...which is where my opinionated vote would go being a Ford guy. ;)

Fords been haveing alot of problems with their diesels.... If your not brand loyal. I would.look into which truck had the best motor and transmission combo for the year your looking into

robertusa123 said:
Fords been haveing alot of problems with their diesels.... If your not brand loyal. I would.look into which truck had the best motor and transmission combo for the year your looking into
:eek:
I don't want to start a brand war...BUT...That statement was true with the old 6.0 (2003-2007).  Older 7.3 (1994-2003) was very good.  Newer 6.4 I think was pretty good (2007-2010).  Current 6.7 (2011-2016) has been very good as well.

This is very simple. Either method works well.

1.  Flip a coin.

2.  Test drive both and get the one your wife likes better.

If you want 17,000 on SRW, you need a Chevy or RAM.  I know Steve likes his Chevy, but I like my RAM. Nothing can beat a Cummins.  Lol.

The problem is im NOT a Chevy guy but here is the deal I love the Ram its awesome - the Ford is a great work truck, BUT the Chevy ride is the best and i have a bad back ( 4 surgeries in 12 yrs) the Chev is the best, payload between the Ram and Chev is close, the Ford sucks - till 2017  then watch out, the Cummins is the best power plant The Allison is the best Trans - the current Ford is the best work truck. BUTTTTTTTTT i personally get the best deal on Chevs , they are all great trucks in their own right it depends what your needs are. PS my next truck may not be a Chev im not sure what yet im still looking 2017 Ford look good, 2017 Ram looks good 2017 Chev  hasn't changed much . I plan on testing the Ram in the next 2 weeks the Fords as soon as i can my hands on a 2017 Super Duty. I will defend my Chevy because i think its the best truck available TODATE  to do the job, however, if Ford or Ram steps up and PROVES it can beat my current Chevy -comfort, payload, reliability, resale Im all ears. AND I'M LOOKING- the only thing im Not is Toyota or Nissan fan
Cheers

So far, I have had really good experience with my 2015 F-350 DRW Lariat LB.  Have had it only about 6 months and 5,000 miles but no problems.  Excellent MPG towing my 5th - usually around 15-16mpg at 65mph.  Towing with a tail wind, I've gotten almost 18mpg  :), but with a stiff head wind only about 11mpg  :( .  Don't do much passing other vehicles, but while towing, I can still get away pretty quick at stop lights.

Personally, I don't like the back seat configuration.  It's roomy and comfortable for passengers, but DW likes to haul stuff in the back seat and not much room due to the under seat storage compartments.  My last Ford truck had the same fold-up seats but no compartments built-in under the seats which was great for loading in containers, etc.

Not sure I would buy another dually long bed truck.  Lots of good points such as stability on the road, but really hard getting through a "Kentucky Fried "  ;)

TravlinOn said:
So far, I have had really good experience with my 2015 F-350 DRW Lariat LB.  Have had it only about 6 months and 5,000 miles but no problems.  Excellent MPG towing my 5th - usually around 15-16mpg at 65mph.  Towing with a tail wind, I've gotten almost 18mpg  :), but with a stiff head wind only about 11mpg  :( .  Don't do much passing other vehicles, but while towing, I can still get away pretty quick at stop lights.

Personally, I don't like the back seat configuration.  It's roomy and comfortable for passengers, but DW likes to haul stuff in the back seat and not much room due to the under seat storage compartments.  My last Ford truck had the same fold-up seats but no compartments built-in under the seats which was great for loading in containers, etc.

any of these guys towing at getting 7-8 mpg

http://www.fuelly.com/

Not sure I would buy another dually long bed truck.  Lots of good points such as stability on the road, but really hard getting through a "Kentucky Fried "  ;)

no way your getting 15-16 mpg pulling that trailer maybe 7-8 my dually was 8mpg towing never more never less my current 3500 single rear wheel gets 8-9 and the dually is always less - sorry i think you may need to recalculate  ;D that message your looking at on your dash say gallons per 100 miles - so your using 15 gallons per 100 which is 6.6 mpg

any of these guys towing are getting 7-8 mpg

http://www.fuelly.com/

I love my F-350 and our new 5th has a GVWR of 14,300.

Steve while I don't know what he is getting for mileage in the US it is miles per gallon on the dash and as I understand it in Canada it is liters for 100 km's.

Towing our soon to be old TT I got 11.0 overall on a 5000 mile trip last year thru the Rockies.  Now my truck is also geared at 3.55 and the dually is probably geared at 4.30.

Elkhounds said:
I love my F-350 and our new 5th has a GVWR of 14,300.

Steve while I don't know what he is getting for mileage in the US it is miles per gallon on the dash and as I understand it in Canada it is liters for 100 km's.

Towing our soon to be old TT I got 11.0 overall on a 5000 mile trip last year thru the Rockies.  Now my truck is also geared at 3.55 and the dually is probably geared at 4.30.
oh okay - i wish our was miles per gallon drives me nuts ::) but on any of the Ford forums they are saying 7-8 mpg with the Dually ( yes i go there  :eek: i also go to the Ram forums too) i have had my fair share of issues with my current 3500 most of which after goingto the other Forums i can attribute to the dealership rather than the brand and i am really impressed with the Ram Dually and am looking forward to the new Ford - i am actually test driving the Ram for a second time next week (drove one yesterday lol but wasn't long enough  ;))

robertusa123 said:

I have owned all 3 diesels and by far, my GMC is the most comfortable. The Ford and Dodge drive more like trucks and my GMC more like an SUV. As far as engine and tranny? You can't beat the Duramax/Allison combo.
And, if your interested in resale value.........GMC diesels hold their value. Just look at Auto Trader or Craigslist.

Stan

steveblonde said:
any of these guys towing are getting 7-8 mpg

That is different than my experience.
I pull a fairly large 5er. 12170 dry, and like most I have a bit of cargo.
The lowest I have done is 9.5.  Most of the time it is 11 when loaded, but some times as much as 12.
I would guess I am at 65mph most of the time.  Some times a bit more.
Unloaded, and at full highway speed I get about 14.
I have detailed records of every fuel purchase.
Edit - I should say that much of my towing is flat.  I did some mountains in the NE but have not gone out west yet.

Attachments

• F350.jpg
    F350.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 16
vinceherman said:
That is different than my experience.
I pull a fairly large 5er. 12170 dry, and like most I have a bit of cargo.
The lowest I have done is 9.5.  Most of the time it is 11 when loaded, but some times as much as 12.
I would guess I am at 65mph most of the time.  Some times a bit more.
Unloaded, and at full highway speed I get about 14.
I have detailed records of every fuel purchase.
Edit - I should say that much of my towing is flat.  I did some mountains in the NE but have not gone out west yet.

unloaded yes there are lots of variables altitude wind mountains etc - here we are 90% mountains and we start out at 3500ft lol and i get 8.35mpg trailer wieghts in at 13500lbs @ 60mpg Calgary to Spokane and Return is the same mileage even though going to Spokane is technically downhill as Spokane is at 1843 ft

QUOTE:  "... no way your getting 15-16 mpg pulling that trailer ...."

I stand by what I said in my original post.  While it is true that I go by what the dash says for MPG and that number most likely is not as accurate as an actual computation of miles driven by gallons used, I think most people go by what the dash says so for comparison purposes my figures are valid.  Please remember that in the original post, I "smilingly" said that my best MPG of 18mpg was with a tailwind.  As for the rest, my mileage might be better than some quoted elsewhere for several reasons:

1.  My F-350 Diesel is the 2015 edition which has some additional fuel efficiency built in that most older models don't have.  I believe that many of the posters on "fuelly dot com" have older and/or different trucks.
2.  My dash- given MPG reading can be easily reset to zero at any point; thus, those people who compute their mileage by hand, or by dash-reading BUT by starting at the pump and then driving through town before getting on the road will see a different result from that of my dash reading which I reset to start a MPG computation when I am actually on the road doing my usual speed.
3.  I do drive mostly in FL, flat lands, low altitude, and frequently without "tow/haul" engaged;  all of which helps to give me better mileage than those who drive in mountains and higher altitudes routinely.  I do also drive in what we happily call "mountains" in GA and NC, but I didn't say that I get my best MPG there.

All this to say:  "Yes, way!"

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-350_super_duty/2015

and thats with most NOT TOWING AND NOT HAVING DUALLYS

sorry i have owned way too many trucks and know way too many with FORDS
here is a break down for you by year unfortunatly it doesnt break down by single rear wheel or duallu or towing or not towing unless you click on the little folder icon i will buy your truck at $10,000 over what you paid show me your bill of sale - because i will get my money back in fuel savings in a year. i agree with VINCEHERMAN who has the same truck as you and a similar rig weight wise  - you may get better mileage than say me because i live in the mountains BUT....
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-350_super_duty

AVG MPG
Vehicles
Fuel-ups
Miles Tracked
View All 2016 Ford F-350 Super Dutys
AVG MPG
Vehicles
Fuel-ups
Miles Tracked
View All 2015 Ford F-350 Super Dutys
AVG MPG
Vehicles
Fuel-ups
Miles Tracked
View All 2014 Ford F-350 Super Dutys
AVG MPG
Vehicles
Fuel-ups
Miles Tracked
View All 2013 Ford F-350 Super Dutys
AVG MPG
Vehicles
Fuel-ups
Miles Tracked
View All 2012 Ford F-350 Super Dutys
AVG MPG
Vehicles
Fuel-ups
Miles Tracked
View All 2011 Ford F-350 Super Dutys
AVG MPG
Vehicles
Fuel-ups
Miles Tracked
View All 2010 Ford F-350 Super Dutys
AVG MPG
Vehicles
Fuel-ups
Miles Tracked
View All 2009 Ford F-350 Super Dutys
AVG MPG
Vehicles
Fuel-ups
Miles Tracked
View All 2008 Ford F-350 Super Dutys

Ford is the only truck left with an extended cab model. To me, the crew cab is way too big especially with a standard bed.

I believe everyone may be right - and I am not running for political office.

MOST people consider fuel consumption to include ALL miles driven, including in town, stop and go, getting up to speed, etc..

In his last post, TravelinOn  SPECIFICALLY states his readings are from the truck computer.  My experience is these are fairly accurate when comparing apples to apples, i.e. from fuel pump to fuel pump.  He also states his readings DO NOT include mileage between the fill up and the interstate, or the time he is getting up to  cruising speed. I assume he looks at the number as he gets off the highway.  HIS MEASUREMENT IS WITH THE RIG UP TO CRUISING SPEED, ROLLING DOWN THE HIGHWAY.   This makes a very specific  measurement, so the numbers he quotes may be correct UNDER THESE CONDITIONS.  They are NOT a true reflection of real world mileage.  I can get 99 MPG going down hill or slowing for a traffic light, but that is not the real world, either.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom