Howdy! and help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg84

Howdy All!

Long time lurker, first time poster. And I hate for this to be my first post to the forum, my apologies.  But I need some help. 

I've been lurking and reading the forum for about 18 months, even before the wife and I purchased the first RV.  We purchased Thor Tuscany XTE in Feb '15  that we use to tow a 2007 Rubicon JK on 35's with a Rock Krawler 2.5 lift.  I've probably pulled the JK 5K miles so far with no issues...well, almost none. 

Some background:
I use a NSA Ready Brake for my braking system.  If you are not familiar with Ready Brake it is basically a mechanical surge brake that attaches to your brake pedal.  It activates when you step on the MH brakes.  Last Sept coming out of Montrose, Colo (after spending a great week in Ouray!) the cable sucked some carpet fibers into cable sheathing resulting in the cable binding and not releasing.  Which of course caused the JK brakes to drag and not allow the MH to get up to speed.  Luckily, I pulled over rather quickly, saw the smoke from the drivers front wheel and a small flame.  After extinguishing the flame (it was the rubber around the guide pin that caught fire) and allowing the rotors to cool down I headed to an RV park.  At the RV park I was able to replace the front brake calipers, brake pads, and replace the brake fluid.    I checked the rotors and they were not warped so I kept them on.  The rotors and brake pads are aftermarket HD, the name of which escapes me at the moment...Teraflex or Synergy maybe.    I was pretty fortunate it was not worse...only about 300 make the repairs. Whew!           

So that brings me today.  My front brakes are dragging and I have no clue why....I keep pretty a pretty close watch on my wheels and braking system since the mishap last year.  Today after towing the JK ~ 200 miles, the front rotors were in the 180 degree range. Rear rotors about 100.  Temps measured with an infrared thermometer.  Checking the caliper temps they were about 130 degrees on the front...thankfully, below the boiling point for brake fluid. 

A couple of other facts, the front brake pads do not have clips and float free in the calipers...I wonder if they are brushing against the rotors?  After the Sept mishap, I put some cheap Autozone pads on the front to get me home to VA.  Once home I replaced the pads with the same after market pads I had on before. 

I have not had any issues with the brakes after I repaired them last year driving around town...no great distances about 40 miles at anyone time.  But then again this is the first time I have towed the JK since Sept 15. 

Wondering if maybe the rotors are warped?  But I don't think so, measured with a straight edge metal ruler across the rotors with no deviation noted.    Maybe some other hidden damage to the brake system? 

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas I'd be interested in hearing them.

Aaaaaannd I'm happy to be here!    Problem solved....

Looking forward to meeting y'all on the trails. 

Thanks,
Greg

Edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Back
Top Bottom