Air compressor leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
As much as I have promoted the cheap Harbor Freight air compressors over the years (especially on the forum, for RV use), mine is no longer holding air above 20psi.  It's a 3-gallon pancake type with max pressure around 100-105psi.  It worked fine last Fall when I was winterizing the trailer, and afterwards I left the tank drain plug open (as always) to prevent moisture buildup in the tank. 

Now when I have it plugged in and pressurizing the tank, at 20psi I can feel air pumping out the sides, from the gap where the compressor motor is attached to the tank.  When I open the tank drain plug, a bit of orange liquid sprays out that I assume is rusty water that built up somehow/somewhere.  Could some water from my RV plumbing system have backed up into the compressor innards during winterizing, later freezing and damaging a seal somewhere?  Or maybe this is just to be expected in cheap compressors after more than a few years.

It seems unlikely that water would leak in from the RV system.  I have a similar leak problem with a Porter-Cable, although it will pump up over 100 psi; it just leaks so it keeps running rather than shutting off.  Sometimes it works right, sometimes not.

I don't really know how the pumps are attached to the tanks on these small units.  I wonder if I could patch in some expanding foam to close up whatever leak there is, although any over-penetration of the foam might render the whole thing useless.  Right now, there's not much I can do with 20psi.

I'd imagine the water is just condensation from humidity in the air as it gets compressed.

You *might* be able to take the compressor off the tank and tape or dope the threads.  *Might*

My general rule is I buy something the first time from HF to see if I actually get any use out of a thing and buy an upgraded model if I use it enough and it breaks*.  So maybe time for an upgrade?  8)

*(This doesn't work out so hot...I can't seem to break a couple of things from HF I'd like to upgrade...)

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/61000-61999/61615.pdf

Looking at the manual, it seems easy to take apart a reseal.

kdbgoat said:
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/61000-61999/61615.pdf

Looking at the manual, it seems easy to take apart a reseal.

I'll add to my neverending project list (that I rarely ever get close to actually finishing)...!  ;D  Thanks for the link.

You probably have a leak either at the regulator or the pressure switch. Take the cover off to find out where it's leaking.

I have had a couple of different brands of compressors.
I seem that as long as I have any airline connected that will eventually lose pressure.

Well yeah, it loses air slowly just sitting with the air line connected... but that's not my problem.  Mine will not even pressurize at all past 20psi, and I can feel the air leaking out from somewhere between the pump and tank.

I bought one of those HF compressors. It was hissing from the pump head area, so I took the whole thing apart, put gasket sealer on the gaskets, put it back together, and now it will sit for weeks without losing a pound of pressure.

Back
Top Bottom