1999 Gulf Stream Voyager 8350 Water Pump Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Virgie & Fred

:-[ Hello forum members, I need help in locating the valve that allows you to winterize the holding tank water.  I traded for this model and I can't get the new pump to pressurize the system. It seems that they left the valve open. The drain valve right next to the fresh water tank is closed. Shore water is good. When I stop the shore water the pump won't pressurize the system. Any help would be appreciated. I don't have a manual;D

First, you do not want to winterize the fresh neater tank with antifreeze. No need for it. Just open the tank drain and walk away.
Next, I'm not sure what you mean when you say the valve is open. The only valve you would need to open is the valve with a hose attached to it if you have that set up. You stick this hose in a gallon jug of antifreeze and just start the pump. The pump will suck out the pink stuff and push it through your water system excluding the fresh water tank. When done, just shut that valve.
Next, if you are turning off the shore water and the System is still pressurized, the pump will not start until the pressure drops for the pump to sense that then it will start.

I hope I understood correctly with what you were asking.

Thanks for the reply Rene. I agree with you on not adding anti-freeze to the fresh water tank. Unfortunately the previous owner did it. I had the task of clearing it out.  What I was looking for is the location of the "check valve" or as you stated the valve with the hose on it. Most rvers call it a check valve; I think. I am thinking the previous owner did not shut that valve. I can't find the location of the valve on this class A. I traded my Class C for this Class A and it is totally new to me. I think if I shut that valve the system will pressure up.I talked to a MH Gulfstream person and they were no help. :)

Usually the hose for winterizing is close to the pump and is on the suction side of the pump. In other words it will be someplace between the pump and the fresh water tank.

Do you have a separate tank fill or do you fill from the city water connection? If you fill the tank from the city water port then you have to have a valve that needs to be closed, before the pump will work. Did you open a valve to fill the tank? If so that valve needs to be closed for the pump to work.

I don't think you mean a "check valve". The only one involved is on the city water inlet port and it closes only when city water pressure is not present. If there is no hose connected and the check valve did not close by itself, water will squirt out of the city inlet.

If the pump won't bring up line pressure and shut off, the usual explanation is that the city fill valve is in the "Fill" position. Change it over to "Use" (or "city" or "normal") and the pump should stop running within several seconds.

If you have antifreeze in the fresh tank, what you want to do is drain it.  Does the system have a separate fresh tank drain line? It may not have a valve - it might be just a screw-on cap on the drain line. Some system designs don't have a drain and require the pump to push the water out via a separate low-point drain for the coach water lines (mine is that way).

Thanks for the reply Gary. This rv does not have any valves that are marked like you said. It has a hookup for the shore water and an opening for the water fill. I've already drained out all the antifreeze. There is a valve by the pump that drains the water onto the ground. I'll keep trying thanks.

I would be quite surprised if any 1999 vintage coach did not offer a way to fill the fresh tank directly from the city inlet, but I'm not at all familiar with your make & model. The symptoms you describe are exactly what would happen if the control valve for the city inlet was in the wrong position. If that's it, the pump would basically be sucking water out of the tank and pumping it right back in, a continuous loop that never shuts off.

Any chance you could post a picture of your wet bay showing the area around the city inlet and whatever valves there may be?

Back
Top Bottom