What length is too long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dustin0479

We are struggling with a decision on our camper, hitting a show this morning to hopefully nail it down.  We found a 32' trailer that suits our needs well but have concerns about the 37' overall length being too long.  It is my understanding the east coast campgrounds tend to have small spaces.  We prefer to camp in state parks with easy availability to hiking and some nature (not grassy manicured campgrounds).

For those of you pulling a 32' how restrictive has it been for both camping and generally navigating it to gas stations/wherever?

We've traveled with a 35', pulled by an F250 4-door deisel short bed. Never parked at state parks nor at manicured campgrounds.  :)  Sometimes you have to get out and review the available spots, but generally no problems. Biggest problem we have is finding out where the deisel pumps are and then getting turned around in a small gas station. Just make sure the gas stations have room to get turned around in! If it looks tight, drive to the next station! Plan/call/Google Earth ahead if in doubt.

Dustin0479 said:
We are struggling with a decision on our camper, hitting a show this morning to hopefully nail it down.  We found a 32' trailer that suits our needs well but have concerns about the 37' overall length being too long.  It is my understanding the east coast campgrounds tend to have small spaces.  We prefer to camp in state parks with easy availability to hiking and some nature (not grassy manicured campgrounds).

For those of you pulling a 32' how restrictive has it been for both camping and generally navigating it to gas stations/wherever?

first - what is the tow vehicle? length is only part of the equation - i pull a 40ft 5er no issues for me other than your restricted the the number of spots available.

The northeastern US tends to have smaller sites and narrower access roads, both because of the terrain (hilly and forested) and the age of the campgrounds. The flatter areas of the southeast and further west accommodates larger sites and better access roads. But that's just a generality - individual campgrounds vary widely. 

Obviously every extra foot of length limits your choices a bit more, but there is no simple answer to the "too long" question.

My 2 cents...

Get a handle on just what your tow vehicle can handle. Get a towable that fits your tow vehicle, your family, and your needs/wants.
Regardless of where you camp, think of what fits your family needs/wants first. Plan trips accordingly. You will be much better off. You and your family will be much happier and comfortable. Makes the whole journey fun.
The way it's suppose to be.

The OP started here with tow questions.  They have been resolved, and he is fully aware of how to verify the truck can tow the trailer.  His proposed truck can tow either.  The question here is how much difference will there be between pulling these two TT with respect to fuel and campgrounds.

Dustin0479  Please modify your profile to include your (proposed?) truck, and your TT when you decide.  My poor memory thinks you plan to get a F250 diesel??  That will help us answer questions.

Many state parks were built decades ago before mega huge RV's became the norm....and thus have smaller camp sites.  It could potentially be a limiting factor.  Newer RV parks are built to accommodate the larger rigs.  There is one state park in NM that lists it can take up to a 30' trailer...which is what we have...and I got it in there.....barely. 

So to answer the OP's question, yes, it could be an issue, at least out here.  Not sure about the East Coast, but it would behoove you to check it out on a park by park basis in areas you want to travel before signing on the dotted line.

grashley said:
The OP started here with tow questions.  They have been resolved, and he is fully aware of how to verify the truck can tow the trailer.  His proposed truck can tow either.  The question here is how much difference will there be between pulling these two TT with respect to fuel and campgrounds.

Dustin0479  Please modify your profile to include your (proposed?) truck, and your TT when you decide.  My poor memory thinks you plan to get a F250 diesel??  That will help us answer questions.

Please re-read first two posts. The OP never made any mention of tow vehicle.

denmarc said:
Please re-read first two posts. The OP never made any mention of tow vehicle.

They were in other threads.

To the OP:  Tough call.  We drive a 37' DP and, like you, prefer state parks to commercial campgrounds.  Here in the Midwest, I rarely have a problem finding a site that is a suitable length.  I also planned a trip to Maine and other northeastern stops for this summer and had no trouble finding parks that would accommodate our coach.  That said, it's a little easier to back a 37' MH into a space than a 37' TT because of the overall length of the rig.  I've watched people struggle mightily to back their trailers into a space due to other obstacles.

The good news is that the technology of the internet (state park reservation websites and satellite photos) allow you to get a pretty good feel for the layout/dimensions of a site before you ever arrive at the CG.

Dustin0479 said:

I tow a 36' TT with a supercrew cab short bed and never had a problem getting a space in either State parks, although some sites are smaller, or in Privately owned RV parks. I live on the East coast and have travelled from Florida to Maine without a problem. I do my research before departing for a trip to make sure accommodations are adequate.

Back
Top Bottom