Switch bathroom sink from black to grey water drain tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zebra137

I have a 2011 Itasca 26QP. The kitchen sink and shower drain into the grey tank. The head and bathroom sink drain into the black tank. I want to reconfigure the bathroom drain so that it now drains into the grey tank.

Has anyone put together a detailed procedure for accomplishing this?

Zebra137 said:
I have a 2011 Itasca 26QP. The kitchen sink and shower drain into the grey tank. The head and bathroom sink drain into the black tank. I want to reconfigure the bathroom drain so that it now drains into the grey tank.

Has anyone put together a detailed procedure for accomplishing this?
Why? Most coaches all have this same plumbing set up. 

Why would you want to do that? The gray tank fills fastest as it is, that would make it fill even faster. One of the reasons it is set up that way is to ensure that sufficient water gets into the black tank to dissolve the solids and keep them in suspension.

Perhaps I'm cynical, but the more likely reason it is plumbed that way is that it is most convenient for the factory when building the RV. The bathroom is directly over the black tank (it's a gravity toilet) so the plumbing for the sink is easier that way. RV makers generally seize the easiest solution rather than the best one.

Changing it over to the gray tank is strictly a matter of being able to run a 1.5" drain line to either the gray tank or Tee into another gray waste line nearby.  You need to crawl under and around to see what is there and how hard or easy it will be to physically alter the plumbing. No magic, and no detailed procedure, since each RV model and even each floor plan are likely to be different.

the department of interior states that grey water can be dumped onto public lands when boo docking as long as long as the grey and black water are not mixed. So, by being able to regulate the amount of drainage into the black tank I can extend my boondocking stay by several additional days, by discharging direct from the grey tank through a drain hose. Finding a water supply to refill the fresh water tank on public lands is much easier than finding a dump station for black water.

I have found the plumbing diagram online. I want to put a valve in so I can switch the discharge from the bath sink to go to the grey or black tank, as required for the circumstance.

the department of interior states that grey water can be dumped onto public lands when boo docking as long as long as the grey and black water are not mixed.

A word of caution re that: I've been to more than a few places that allowed you to dump out a dishpan or pail of gray water but strictly prohibited a continuous drain line. Probably based on a notion that a continuous drain is likely to produce a higher volume of waste than the odd gallon or tow. I'll not defend it pro or con, but it's something I've run into on both state and federal lands. 

I particularly recall one Corp of Engineers park that had rock-filled dry wells on each site, described as waste water sumps. I was told in strong terms that my 5/8" drain hose into it was Not Allowed. That's not BLM, of course, but an example of the distinction that may be made. My solution for that stay was to hook up my hose every evening and drain a couple gallons of gray into the sump, then close the valve and coil up the hose back under the coach. Apparently that made it OK.  ;)

Yeah, I agree. Little trickle at a time every couple of days of sink water. The trick is to use very little amounts of soap when running the faucets, and when using soaps, use as environmentally safe as possible.

I have the nearly identical Winnebago model and I like it as it is. One advantage is that when it is time to dump the black tank, I can simply turn on the bathroom lavatory and thereby fill the black tank for more efficient dumping/cleaning. This is, in my opinion, the easiest way to assure the black tank is full before emptying.

Bill

Just dig a hole under your drain pipe. it only has to be the sixe of a gallon paint can. Then just crack open your drain valve so it just drips into the hole.  A drip every 2 or 3 seconds. 

Zebra137 said:
the department of interior states that grey water can be dumped onto public lands when boo docking as long as long as the grey and black water are not mixed. So, by being able to regulate the amount of drainage into the black tank I can extend my boondocking stay by several additional days, by discharging direct from the grey tank through a drain hose. Finding a water supply to refill the fresh water tank on public lands is much easier than finding a dump station for black water.

I have found the plumbing diagram online. I want to put a valve in so I can switch the discharge from the bath sink to go to the grey or black tank, as required for the circumstance.

A way to extend it further and not have to do any plumbing is to use a plastic bowl in the lavatory and use the wash water a second time to flush the toilet. That is what we do. We collect it in gallon containers for use when necessary.

Zebra137 said:
The head and bathroom sink drain into the black tank.
Interesting. It never occurred to me that ANY sink drain water would be directed towards the black tank. Now you have me wondering how mine is setup, will have to test it just out of curiosity. Doubt if I'd ever replumb; will just use the kitchen sink while boondocking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom