Sierra 1500 4x4 Z71 and 6k pound TT - OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backyarddad

Hey all, Nice forum first to say, I haven't used this site much as I was in a popup but recently bought a Wildwood 28DBUD, it is 6184 pounds, with 1300 pounds cargo. 

My vehicle is rated for 7700 pounds, I have a WDH, Husky brand.

My question, will I be okay using this vehicle towing this trailer, or should I really look at getting a 2500?

Thanks.

The trailer will likely weigh close to 7500 lbs loaded and ready to camp.  If your truck is indeed rated at 7700 lbs towing, you'd be extremely marginal....and I doubt you'd like how the combo performs.

Now....should you look for a 2500?  That depends.  There are some modern 1500's that can be configured to safely tow what you're wanting to pull.  That said, moving up to a newer 2500 (especially a diesel) will enable you to tow literally any conventional travel trailer made today, and a fifth wheel up to about 12000 lbs....which leaves you room to grow should you want a bigger trailer down the road. 

Thanks, after posting that, I began reading some other articles, and it appears that I am going to be limited to what I can haul with it.

One site here:

http://bamarv.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-calculate-your-real-towing.html

Explains how to find towing capacity, 7700 for the truck - 10% = 770, - 60 for propane, - 80 for WDH, - trailer 6184 = only 606 pounds for gear etc.

Ugh.

Thing is, the closer you get to the truck's limitations, the less fun towing is.  In your case, I'd say smaller trailer or bigger truck. 

The arithmetic indicates you are stretching things, but I don't think you need a 2500 to tow that size trailer. Just a somewhat heftier configuration of a half ton. Many half tons can easily tow a 8000-9500 lbs TT. On the other hand, a 2500 is a brawny truck that will do the job well and have capacity for an upgraded  trailer in the future.

Looking at the Wildwood specs, it appears the minimum dry weight of the 28DBUD is 5895 and the cargo capacity is 1900 lbs, putting the max (GVWR) at 7795. With a few options a typical 28DBUD is probably at the 6184 you mentioned, but the GVWR doesn't change (cargo capacity is GVWR - Actual).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom