EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: We made a dumb decision  (Read 7324 times)

winona

• ---
Re: We made a dumb decision
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 12:25:30 PM »
I agree with Frizlefrak.  The deal with the new one and your trade-in can be the difference on however any dealer wants to work it --- to get your business.  After all, if you don't buy from the original dealer, the next guy gets the sale and $$$.  The next guy has a lot to gain by telling you he can cut a better deal --- if he really can.

Go enjoy your new one.  Chalk this one up to a teachable moment.  My criteria is: "well, no one died so it must be okay." :D
Winnebago Trend
Dorothy and Bailey, my big loveable lab

Frizlefrak

• ---
  • El Paso, Texas
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2016, 01:02:39 PM »
Frizlefrak,
  I fixed it for you... ;D :P

Yes you did.  I stand very much corrected.   ;D
2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Palomino 30' TT

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2016, 07:17:46 PM »
This won't help Campfire RV, but maybe this will help others. This is why I always "Sleep On" large purchases before I sign any papers.

Frank Hurst

Exactly right.......I told our salesman that I have a firm rule NOT to buy any large purchase without sleeping on it first. His answer to that was other people were looking at it also. OK so if it is sold before I get back the I just lost out and the decision was made for me, if its still here then maybe we can talk since you had an extra day at the party to sell it and couldn't. Once they understand that you have a firm rule they become a lot more helpful......BTW we bought it the next day for an additional 20% off .

Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2016, 08:29:23 PM »

Exactly right.......I told our salesman that I have a firm rule NOT to buy any large purchase without sleeping on it first. His answer to that was other people were looking at it also. OK so if it is sold before I get back the I just lost out and the decision was made for me, if its still here then maybe we can talk since you had an extra day at the party to sell it and couldn't. Once they understand that you have a firm rule they become a lot more helpful......BTW we bought it the next day for an additional 20% off .

Hey Will, we haven't heard from Tom Seiler for a while. Is he OK?
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Campfire RV

• ---
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2016, 10:39:34 PM »
We met with a lawyer today and she said the contract we signed is just an agreement but isn't the actual sales contract. She said when we go back to the dealer to pick up the coach they will have us sign the true sales contract and that is the one we can't get out of.

I also emailed the dealer again today and they replied tonight and agreed to cancel the contract. We have to go to the dealer tomorrow to sign the mutual cancellation agreement and they will refund our deposit.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and I can honestly say it was a stressful experience and we have learned and fortunately didn't lose out this time. We will be sure to conduct more online research before going to a dealer and not let the salesman pressure us into a decision. I like the idea of going to the dealership and telling the salesman I will sleep on it tonight before making a decision, and no decision today.

Thank you everyone and we learned a very important lesson this time and I feel lucky, it won't happen again.
Josh
2012 Thor Chateau 28Z
2007 Toyota RAV4 FWD/Remco lube pump
Alpha Tow Bar/Blue Ox base plate
U.S. Navy Retired
Good Sam Life Member

Abendage

• ---
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 11:30:58 PM »
Glad it worked out well for you, but I can't believe that dealer. Apparently RV dealers aren't concerned with customer satisfaction and repeat business. I work for a heavy equipment dealership group and if we treated customers like that we wouldn't have any!  In this case we would have matched the price or got as close as we could instead of losing the business, and creating a bad name for yourself while you are at it!  I forsure wouldn't strong arm them to the point that the customer sought legal council!  Unreal!
2006 GMC 1500 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3L
2018 Rockwood 2509S

Frizlefrak

• ---
  • El Paso, Texas
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2016, 11:49:42 PM »
Glad it all worked out for you.   :)
2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Palomino 30' TT

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2016, 06:37:43 AM »
Good for you, glad it worked out. Also when you start looking again, leave your wallet and credit card at home.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

StafferTom

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 09:02:14 AM »
Thanks for the follow-up. Glad you got the outcome you wanted.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2016, 09:05:14 AM »
Well, that was a lesson about impulse buying that was learned inexpensively, if rather stress-fully.  Glad to hear the dealer ultimately came around and agreed to cancel without penalty. I suspect the boss man got involved and told the sales manager to back off.

Hope that better deal at another place works out for you.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

winona

• ---
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2016, 10:15:13 AM »
Glad it worked out well for you, but I can't believe that dealer. Apparently RV dealers aren't concerned with customer satisfaction and repeat business. ....losing the business, and creating a bad name for yourself while you are at it!  I forsure wouldn't strong arm them to the point that the customer sought legal council!  Unreal!

I echo the sentiments of Abendage.  Doesn't put the dealer in a very good light.  And I too am glad the outcome was good.   Yes, lesson learned.
Winnebago Trend
Dorothy and Bailey, my big loveable lab

ironbutt

• ---
  • It's about the journey not the destination.
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 11:13:14 AM »
I made a quick decision when I bought mine last year at a RV show. Not that I found the same thing cheaper but from researching after the fact. CW salesman was kind of pushing the store brand, I didn't realize that at the time and for about$4000 more could've had the manufacturers equivalent. Also hearing bad reports about the chain store where I bought it from. I originally wanted a Toy Hauler and had no idea that there was a Class C one made.  All in all though, I'm happy with what got, just learned a few lessons. But that's life
2015 Freedom Elite Class C
2015 Jeep Wrangler
2010 F150 4x4
2010 Electra Glide slightly modified

cj7365

• ---
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2016, 09:15:15 PM »
I am glad that it worked out for the OP, but....

on another note, the OP if he had not looked at other units like his he would of not know he paid too much....he was happy with the RV and thought the price the dealership was selling it was acceptable. 

I have always used NADA, and now its even easier, with the internet, you can use it via your smart phone as well.

I would still like to know how much "over priced" the OPs coach was
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:18:22 PM by cj7365 »
2005 Allegro Bay 37DB
Workhorse Chassis

Traveler Man

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »
Hi Campfire RV and others,

I signed the same "Retail Installment Sale Contract - Simple Finance Charge"  agreement or contract or whatever it might be.  I see that you contacted an attorney who advised it is not binding as it is an agreement and not the contract?  Can you please send me the attorney's name?  I am in a similar situation.  Made a down payment and have not taken possession. 

KandT

• ---
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2017, 08:17:10 PM »

I signed the same "Retail Installment Sale Contract - Simple Finance Charge"  agreement or contract or whatever it might be.  I see that you contacted an attorney who advised it is not binding as it is an agreement and not the contract?  Can you please send me the attorney's name?  I am in a similar situation.  Made a down payment and have not taken possession.

This is an old thread and I doubt they are still checking it.  I don't think you really need a special attorney.  In fact, probably a call stating that you received from advice from an attorney (which you did through a third party on this forum) and that the contract you signed isn't binding should give them reason to back down. 

You are firm that you do not want the coach and need your deposit back.  You need not apologize as that gives them an opening for your weakness. 

If they decide to keep the down you can say that is their decision and you will have the courts sort this mess out.

You can always resort back to the statement that you understand their position but feel that both sides would be better off to have the attorneys sort through this "mess" for both parties.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!
2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2017, 04:19:16 AM »
In case the original poster doesn't get back to you, here's a recap of some good advice presented earlier in this discussion:

Call the Bar Association for your county and ask for a referral to a lawyer dealing with these situations. You'll pay a nominal fee ($50-$100) to the association, and you'll get pro bono time with a lawyer (30 minutes to an hour).

We've done this in several counties in California, for a variety of legal issues. We've always met with experienced and knowledgeable lawyers and, in most cases, the pro bono time was sufficient to answer our questions. In a small number of cases, it required more time, and we were free to hire the same lawyer or someone else.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2017, 07:16:06 AM »
Just remember the deales have a saying:
It does  not matter where you shop FIRST'
It matters that you shop here LAST.
And they will do everything they can to insure you are the LAST dealer you shop at (the one you buy from).
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »
Indeed.  I've made impulsive decisions before....they usually didn't work out great, and if they did, it was just blind luck.

The salesman will tell you "I have 4 other people looking at this rig...the time to act is now."  Nonsense....if he did, one of them would have probably bought it.  That's an old tactic to get you to make an impulsive decision.  Go home and sleep on it.  Can save you a lot of grief.

But I digress.  I think if the OP hadn't stumbled on a "cheaper" coach, he'd be posting pics of his great new RV a week from now, and having a blast with it this summer.  The sour taste in his mouth isn't the RV, it's the deal.  And here's why that shouldn't be the case...

When trade ins, financing, and options are involved, the priced gets juggled 6 ways from Sunday.  You might have got it $5000 cheaper at another dealer....and they might have offered you $6000 less on your trade.

My advice....Go in to the dealer, finish the deal, and enjoy your new RV.  Life is too short to waste it, and I think pursuing legal recourse on this (if there indeed IS any) is a waste of your time.  If it makes you feel vindicated, you can give the dealer the middle finger salute when you're driving off.

If you are talking a few thousand dollars perhaps the hassle of legal action is not worth the big headache.  You cannot be sure the other deals were as good as they currently seem.  Perhaps you can think of this as tuition you are paying for the skills of negotiating pricing.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »
 I think it depends on how much money you were going to save if  you do get out of the contract somehow.   If it's just a few thousand dollars I think I would get the RV and enjoy it and chalk it up to lessen learned.   We paid full price for our new travel trailer because we were not smart enough to know you can negotiate the price     We had to put that behind us and just go forward and enjoy !    Good luck to you     
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
sweet home Alabama

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »

As a licensed automotive dealer here in the state of CA, I know it is a state law that it is an incomplete sales contract if you have not taken possession of the vehicle.

other states have similar laws...walk away,  there is nothing they can do about it.

(it's also the reason a dealership can not deliver a purchased vehicle. )
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 11:19:52 AM by TonyDtorch »

Traveler Man

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2017, 01:43:16 PM »
It's not about finding a better deal.  The one I bought will not work in terms of size, and I made the dealer aware of that prior to purchase. 

TonyDtorch,
Yes, that is what I understand CA law to be.  Walking away means the deposit must be refunded correct?

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2017, 09:01:52 AM »
It's not about finding a better deal.  The one I bought will not work in terms of size, and I made the dealer aware of that prior to purchase. 

TonyDtorch,
Yes, that is what I understand CA law to be.  Walking away means the deposit must be refunded correct?

yes the deposit is to be refunded

CaptainKen

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2017, 11:43:25 AM »
Another thought is when you end up with it and you have to bring it back to the dealer to fix something they should have repaired. They'll remember you and the hassles you gave them and leave you're RV sit waiting for parts while you have nothing to enjoy the great outdoors with.   A hand shake and a mans word should mean everything. you signed the paperwork,

MN Blue Skies

• ---
  • Favorite saying: "It depends."
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2017, 05:58:43 PM »
No one here who is not licensed as an attorney in your state can provide you advice. Well, except any of us could tell you to call an attorney right now! Bring all your paperwork, and see what they say.
Great advice.
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

2013 Cougar High Country 315 RES ( A 35' 5th Wheel)
"Big Blue" 2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn (Cummins Diesel 1 ton)

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2017, 06:00:23 PM »
Read your contract very closely. Usually, there is a time frame where you can back out of the deal within so many days.
Rene, in the two RV's we have purchased there has not been a time frame where we were able to back out of the deal.
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

MN Blue Skies

• ---
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2017, 06:05:40 PM »
Sorry this seems to be a discussion resurrected from 2016

Hosted by Over The Network