We made a dumb decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Abendage said:
Glad it worked out well for you, but I can't believe that dealer. Apparently RV dealers aren't concerned with customer satisfaction and repeat business. ....losing the business, and creating a bad name for yourself while you are at it!  I forsure wouldn't strong arm them to the point that the customer sought legal council!  Unreal!

I echo the sentiments of Abendage.  Doesn't put the dealer in a very good light.  And I too am glad the outcome was good.  Yes, lesson learned.

I made a quick decision when I bought mine last year at a RV show. Not that I found the same thing cheaper but from researching after the fact. CW salesman was kind of pushing the store brand, I didn't realize that at the time and for about$4000 more could've had the manufacturers equivalent. Also hearing bad reports about the chain store where I bought it from. I originally wanted a Toy Hauler and had no idea that there was a Class C one made.  All in all though, I'm happy with what got, just learned a few lessons. But that's life

I am glad that it worked out for the OP, but....

on another note, the OP if he had not looked at other units like his he would of not know he paid too much....he was happy with the RV and thought the price the dealership was selling it was acceptable. 

I have always used NADA, and now its even easier, with the internet, you can use it via your smart phone as well.

I would still like to know how much "over priced" the OPs coach was

Hi Campfire RV and others,

I signed the same "Retail Installment Sale Contract - Simple Finance Charge"  agreement or contract or whatever it might be.  I see that you contacted an attorney who advised it is not binding as it is an agreement and not the contract?  Can you please send me the attorney's name?  I am in a similar situation.  Made a down payment and have not taken possession. 

Traveler Man said:

I signed the same "Retail Installment Sale Contract - Simple Finance Charge"  agreement or contract or whatever it might be.  I see that you contacted an attorney who advised it is not binding as it is an agreement and not the contract?  Can you please send me the attorney's name?  I am in a similar situation.  Made a down payment and have not taken possession.

This is an old thread and I doubt they are still checking it.  I don't think you really need a special attorney.  In fact, probably a call stating that you received from advice from an attorney (which you did through a third party on this forum) and that the contract you signed isn't binding should give them reason to back down. 

You are firm that you do not want the coach and need your deposit back.  You need not apologize as that gives them an opening for your weakness. 

If they decide to keep the down you can say that is their decision and you will have the courts sort this mess out.

You can always resort back to the statement that you understand their position but feel that both sides would be better off to have the attorneys sort through this "mess" for both parties.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!

In case the original poster doesn't get back to you, here's a recap of some good advice presented earlier in this discussion:

Tom said:
Call the Bar Association for your county and ask for a referral to a lawyer dealing with these situations. You'll pay a nominal fee ($50-$100) to the association, and you'll get pro bono time with a lawyer (30 minutes to an hour).

We've done this in several counties in California, for a variety of legal issues. We've always met with experienced and knowledgeable lawyers and, in most cases, the pro bono time was sufficient to answer our questions. In a small number of cases, it required more time, and we were free to hire the same lawyer or someone else.

Just remember the deales have a saying:
It does  not matter where you shop FIRST'
It matters that you shop here LAST.
And they will do everything they can to insure you are the LAST dealer you shop at (the one you buy from).

Frizlefrak said:
Indeed.  I've made impulsive decisions before....they usually didn't work out great, and if they did, it was just blind luck.

The salesman will tell you "I have 4 other people looking at this rig...the time to act is now."  Nonsense....if he did, one of them would have probably bought it.  That's an old tactic to get you to make an impulsive decision.  Go home and sleep on it.  Can save you a lot of grief.

But I digress.  I think if the OP hadn't stumbled on a "cheaper" coach, he'd be posting pics of his great new RV a week from now, and having a blast with it this summer.  The sour taste in his mouth isn't the RV, it's the deal.  And here's why that shouldn't be the case...

When trade ins, financing, and options are involved, the priced gets juggled 6 ways from Sunday.  You might have got it $5000 cheaper at another dealer....and they might have offered you $6000 less on your trade.

My advice....Go in to the dealer, finish the deal, and enjoy your new RV.  Life is too short to waste it, and I think pursuing legal recourse on this (if there indeed IS any) is a waste of your time.  If it makes you feel vindicated, you can give the dealer the middle finger salute when you're driving off.

If you are talking a few thousand dollars perhaps the hassle of legal action is not worth the big headache.  You cannot be sure the other deals were as good as they currently seem.  Perhaps you can think of this as tuition you are paying for the skills of negotiating pricing.

I think it depends on how much money you were going to save if  you do get out of the contract somehow.  If it's just a few thousand dollars I think I would get the RV and enjoy it and chalk it up to lessen learned.  We paid full price for our new travel trailer because we were not smart enough to know you can negotiate the price    We had to put that behind us and just go forward and enjoy !    Good luck to you     

Traveler Man said:

As a licensed automotive dealer here in the state of CA, I know it is a state law that it is an incomplete sales contract if you have not taken possession of the vehicle.

other states have similar laws...walk away,  there is nothing they can do about it.

(it's also the reason a dealership can not deliver a purchased vehicle. )

It's not about finding a better deal.  The one I bought will not work in terms of size, and I made the dealer aware of that prior to purchase. 

TonyDtorch,
Yes, that is what I understand CA law to be.  Walking away means the deposit must be refunded correct?

Traveler Man said:
It's not about finding a better deal.  The one I bought will not work in terms of size, and I made the dealer aware of that prior to purchase. 

TonyDtorch,
Yes, that is what I understand CA law to be.  Walking away means the deposit must be refunded correct?

yes the deposit is to be refunded

Another thought is when you end up with it and you have to bring it back to the dealer to fix something they should have repaired. They'll remember you and the hassles you gave them and leave you're RV sit waiting for parts while you have nothing to enjoy the great outdoors with.  A hand shake and a mans word should mean everything. you signed the paperwork,

UTTransplant said:
No one here who is not licensed as an attorney in your state can provide you advice. Well, except any of us could tell you to call an attorney right now! Bring all your paperwork, and see what they say.
Great advice.

Rene T said:
Read your contract very closely. Usually, there is a time frame where you can back out of the deal within so many days.
Rene, in the two RV's we have purchased there has not been a time frame where we were able to back out of the deal.

Back
Top Bottom