SPAM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judway

I get several hundred spam messages per day on my Yahoo email account. A check shows that most of them come from a [email protected] address where the blank is related to what they are selling.

Is there a way of blocking the hitinternet.com and block most of my spam? It would greatly reduce my spam messages. TNX.

Yahoo does indeed allow filters.  I know at least for web mail users

For client mail your software should allwo you to filter those straight into the bit bucked and perhaps not even download them

Yahoo also has a decent spam filter.. Some clients allow you to ignore the "Bulk mail" folder (SPAM folder)  However Yahoo's filters are sometimes a bit over enthusatic,  which is why I scan my bullk box daily.. Sometimes they put things there they shoudl not.

I have had luck responding and asking them to stop the spam.  If the request is not returned as non-deliverable and they keep spamming I have had great luck sending 20 or so emails with Gary Kaczynski's Unabomber manifesto attached.

It's been my experience that anytime you reply to, or contact the spam sender, all you're doing is confirming that it's a valid email address...so they include yours when they sell their list of emails to the next spammer.

I tries the "block" on Yahoo and it did essentially nothing. I like to read the source of the spam messages, just in case. I will just delete the hole bunch like I have been doing.

Are these spam messages making it into your primary Inbox?  I use Gmail and its general spam filter does an outstanding job of directing all the spam into the "Junk Mail" folder.  Those messages delete themselves periodically.  I never even look in there, except on the rare occasion when I think a legitimate e-mail might have been mislabeled as junk (which is rare).

If you are using your e-mail address throughout the internet (which is what it's for, after all) you WILL get onto some spam lists.  Not much that can be done about that.  The key to those messages not impacting you is to use an e-mail service with good filters.

I use yahoo and gmail. The filters in both do an excellent job. I am particular as how I use gmail so I get very little spam. Yahoo I use most of the time and the spam amounts to several hundred a day. This is not a real problem as I delete all spam each time I check my email. I used to check my spam for messages that were filtered, but it is too many now. I noticed that a very large number of the spam was coming from one source. I am interested in blocking that sender so my spam is reduced to a lower number. I noticed that these messages were mostly ____@hitinternet. If I could block anything from that source I would do a quick check to see if I am missing something in the spam. I tied to use the block feature and it seemed to me that I might block one message source but not all from the same website. I use the spam feature to filter some websites that I might like, but do not look at every time.

The more you surf on the web, the more you'll leave cookies " http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/cookie.html " and the more you'll get SPAMS and there is no problem as long as they are placed automatictly in your "junk folder" or that you do it manually for certain undesired e-mails.

judway said:
I am interested in blocking that sender so my spam is reduced to a lower number.

Why?  (Assuming the message aren't in your Inbox where you can actually see them)

legrandnormand said:
The more you surf on the web, the more you'll leave cookies " http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/cookie.html " and the more you'll get SPAMS and there is no problem as long as they are placed automatictly in your "junk folder" or that you do it manually for certain undesired e-mails.

This is essentially what I'm getting at.  Let the system work the way it's designed to, for a lesser burden on your part.

As soon as you go through all the motions to block @hitinternet, there will be another spam domain to step in and take its place.  ;)

scottydl said:
Why?  (Assuming the message aren't in your Inbox where you can actually see them)

This is essentially what I'm getting at.  Let the system work the way it's designed to, for a lesser burden on your part.

As soon as you go through all the motions to block @hitinternet, there will be another spam domain to step in and take its place.  ;)

You are right, the more you click or open a SPAM, the more you'll get some; for incoming messages, INBOX or JUNK, if you are sure it's a "junk or spam" message, just don't open it and move it to the "JUNK" folder if necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom