Was given a 24' 1986 Fleetwood- Time to Renovate!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebbflow

Hey folks- I'm currently working on a 24' Fleetwood that was given to me. I'm fixing it up so I can stay in it during a 6-month job that is 1.5 hours north of my home in Oakland, CA.

Here is an album of the trailer: http://imgur.com/a/fyz73

The bones seem to be pretty sound. A bit rough around the edges. I'm not totally new to RV's- I've stayed in a motorhome for remote construction jobs for a month or so at a time, and I used to have a 2.0L '78 VW Bay Westy that was an everyday driver and a great camping rig. This however will be the longest stint at a time.

I am currently stripping down the inside and prepping for paint. I am also researching options for cheap exterior paint jobs. Have been considering some tractor paint, which from what I gather can be had for around $20/gallon at Tractor Supply.

Some things on my to-do list:

-Rebuild front door/latch, replace door locks
-Install solar panel/charge controller
-Install small 'volcano' wood stove. Great thing about camper is large windows, but this is a concern re: stove placement. Will have metal surround around stove.
-Install some shelves, taking into consideration weight placement.
-Build desk
-Reupholster tired cushions
-Find alternative to ugly linoleum (perhaps adhesive vinyl strips)
-Service all appliances
-Repair louvered crank-out window that doesn't open or close fully
-Find LED replacement lightbulbs
-Find black water options for long term non-rv park placement. (Saw a cool water-powered macerator online)
-Remove corrosion/repaint cabinet handles/knobs (Citric acid solution?)
-Explore internet/wifi options (I will be working remotely for other job)
-Check out security system/camera options, compatible w smart phone.

That's about it. Gonna keep me busy for the next month or three... Any advice or recommendations are totally welcome.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum. Replace the tires if they are 6 or 7 years old which I believe they will be just by looking at them.

Rene T said:
Welcome to the forum. Replace the tires if they are 6 or 7 years old which I believe they will be just by looking at them.

Agreed. Put on ST trailer tires also. Yours look to be car tires, including the spare.

Probably just me, but I would be hesitant on a wood burning stove in one myself.

Welcome to the forum!!

Looks like a good project. I would love to see it John Deere green and yellow.

Is the picture of the wood stove the one you are going to install?

The best part of a project like this is you can make it your own. Put in what you want and not worry about what the factory put in.

Have you thought about laminated wood flooring?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom