a couple flooring questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billy D.

I’ve read many posts on here about flooring. The factory floor in my RV is carpet with a pad over a plywood subfloor. There are about a dozen large bolt heads/washers that are proud of the plywood subfloor that attach the coach to the chassis. The carpet pad accommodates them.

The two primary candidates to replace the carpet are Allure vinyl or engineered wood (probably Millstead).

If I use Allure Ultra, I would need to put a layer of “something” about 3/8” thick over the subfloor with clearance holes for the bolt heads to create a flat surface prior to the Allure installation.

Plywood would be easy enough, but I would prefer some sort of rigid foam because it’s light weight, would be a breeze to install, and would provide additional sound/temperature insulation. Or am I asking for trouble? Would rigid foam even work for this, or would it compress and cause problems?

Another thought I had was to use 3/8” thick engineered wood flooring and putting counterbores where I’d need clearance for the bolt heads.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Your last thought is the best, thats what I did, it came out nice, I also glued the planks down.

Thanks guys for your responses.

NickB said:
The bolts stick out 3/8"?

Closer to 1/4". But I can mill counterbores and leave 1/8 of the thickness in the engineered wood, if I go that rout.

I don't know of any foam material that is thick enough yet sturdy enough to support vinyl. Or even laminate. Allure Ultra is very nice stuff (I have it in a bath in the S&B house), but it's not rigid and needs good support as well as a smooth surface. Foam board is typically designed as insulation rather than structural use. There probably is one that would work, but I'll also bet it is really pricey and hard to find. Not something that would be carried in home centers and such.

Billy D. -  I too have those bolt heads sticking up and am going to put vinyl planks in. I was thinking the same with the subfloor and putting clearance holes in - plywood or osb, which way did you end up going and how did it turn out ??

There is foam for flooring substrates, but it is normally used for tile installation or other rigid flooring. Point loads will be your enemy. High heeled shoes, chairs, umbrellas, small wheeled items, dropped knives, or heavy objects that set in one place for a spell.

Then there is heat to consider. As the coach sets idle in the summer heat, the foam will soften. Any surface load will start to sink into the foam.

JohnsManville makes a fiberglass covered foam board for tile installation. Still don't know if its rigid enough for your uses.

Back
Top Bottom