Updating engines and transmissions in old classics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TallRVGuy

What are your thoughts on installing new/modern engines and transmissions in old bus classics (i.e GM 4104, 4106)? I've heard that some people have done this. I like the look of the old classics but would like the power and efficiency of modern engines and transmissions.

If you can do the work yourself, it would be worth it. I like the modernization idea.
Having to pay someone, probably wont pay off in the long run.

I'm with ya....I think it's great ambitions for a younger man..

Being an old hot rodder myself I want to take an old Divco milk truck,  build a modern rv with slides out of it, sitting on all modern diesel truck running gear.

but... my wife will kill me if I ever drag home another 2 year project  ...:(

The biggest problem is the fact that many RV parks and campgrounds do not all bus conversions on their property. Might be hard to find a place to spend the night.

There is somewhat of a vintage RV movement out here on the west coast,.... several rv parks here that have  vintage RV events,  and it's fun to get to see all the restored old stuff.

The largest (pun intended) problem with the 4104/4106 is the requirement for a CROSSWISE ENGINE THAT TURNS LEFT HANDED..
The standard engines for this series of bus uses almost exclusively the two stroke Detroit engines that are capable of left turning. The Detroit engines of this vintage where designed in 1938 and parts and mechanics are getting scarce.>>>Dan (14 year owner of a 4106) ( The only "buses" I,ve seen turned away are "schoolies")

Several years ago a friend removed the Detroit and "V" drive train from his 06 and installed a Cummins 8.3 with an Allison trans, it also required a rear end replacement to complete the job,, after ADDING 5 FEET to the rear of the body to accept the additional length he had a pretty good conversion  AND AN ODDESSY..>>>Dan

Back
Top Bottom