Driving to/from Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNGento

If driving up from the US, what are the rough dates where the weather will allow travel to and from Alaska? 

We left the San Francisco area on May 1st and arrived in Alaska on June 1st.  Lots to see and do along the way!  The problem was that many places were closed until June 15th.  It really depends on how hard the winter was and whether the business owners decide to open earlier or later.

ArdraF

Traveling should be fine May thru Mid to Late Sep.
This year, we had no winter so I am sure things will open up well before 15 Jun.  Honestly, 15 June seems really late--I think most places are open by 1 June--A lot even sooner than that?
Roads are clear now from what I understand.

Hello everybody, I am gong to Palmer in June from Arcadia Fl. Anybody wants to tag alone, I am going to take my time, want to enjoy the trip this will be my second time.

Well my wife and I were planning on going this summer but things change so next summer it is planned for so all of you that go this summer post about your trip so we can learn from yours.

If driving up from the US, what are the rough dates where the weather will allow travel to and from Alaska? 

The weather changes too much year-to-year to generalize, but on our last trip up, we did not leave Wyoming until the first week of August. We had no weather issues, but maybe we were just lucky. The advantage of what we did is that as we were heading north on the Alcan, everybody was heading south and it was like we had the whole place to ourselves.

It's worth thinking about.

Bill

We leave Grand Junction on Wednesday. We're picking up a daughter in Whitehorse on June 21 and will drop her off in Anchorage on July 8. We'll be in Alaska until the beginning of September.

Hi everyone we are new to this forum and to rving we are planning to drv the Alcan next year since my wife has never been to Alaska and it is the 75th aniversary of the alcan. all of ur posts are very helpful thank you

We traveled north from BC starting the 1st of July and went up the Cassiar Hwy (BC 37) to meet the Alcan just west of Watson Lake. Roads were drier by then, and at least basic repairs done on washouts.

We are in Alaska now, in Homer,  and will be starting trip home soon. Traveling with 34 ft 5th wheeler pulled by 250 GMC. . All roads open that we have been on including visits to Tok, Fairbanks, Denali, Anchirage, Seward and Homer.  Most roads in Alaska are in great shape with a few frost heaves here and there.  The worst section was the last 100 miles or so on Alaska Highway in BC, from Beaver Creek to the Alaska border.  The roads in BC up to that point were great. Just slow down and don't get in hurry when on washboard gravel or frost heave sections.  Both BC and Alaska are great at placing signs/cones letting you know you are approaching a bad section.  Several folks did tell us that the road to Top of the World was pretty rough, so we did not take that route via Chicken to Tok.  We did unload the 5ver and took the Dalton Hwy to the Arctic Circle. Don't take a trailer.  I used both lanes to dodge bad potholes but the 12 hour round trip from Fairbanks was worth it.  Amazing countryside and wildlife along the way.  I was concerned about rocks from trucks hitting windshield and grill but that was nonissue, rather just the last 70 miles was pretty rough. Had to wash my truck 3 times to get the mud off

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom