The Maine and Eastern Seaboard Trip, Just the Facts, Maam!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
Well, here we go again! Since the last few blogs seemed to be fairly popular, I  will once again be supplying info and travel facts about the places we go, and the journey as we make our way across the country. 

As usual, my blog is about the costs, RV sites, and ups and downs of the places we stay. I leave most of the "local flavor" reporting to the DW Diane.  Her "Trip Journal" blog covers more of the local attractions, and many more pics.  Her blog can be found at http://www.mytripjournal.com/RVnChick2016

Diane has already made her first blog entry, which includes a map of our Itinerary for the most of the trip. My link at the bottom of the page will have the new link to her blog there as well.

As usual I welcome your input and suggestions. I will also try to include handicapped access info, as well as the availability of WiFi in the places we stop.  We pull out April 1st for our first stop, which will be at a Ca beach campground that we haven't stayed at before. 

You are welcome to come along for the ride!

Hey we will be following with great interest.  We too are headed out that way.  We will be leaving Tucson, AZ early May to GA then along the coast to Maine and Prince Edward Island and back to Quebec City, then Chicago and from there to Vernon, BC in Canada before returning to Tucson by the end of September.

Diane's 2016 blog is now on my Favorites list.  Looking forward to her reports on your trip.  She does an excellent job of reporting what you are seeing in your travels.  I very much enjoy and appreciate her efforts.

Margi

Sr Fox said:
Hey we will be following with great interest.  We too are headed out that way.  We will be leaving Tucson, AZ early May to GA then along the coast to Maine and Prince Edward Island and back to Quebec City, then Chicago and from there to Vernon, BC in Canada before returning to Tucson by the end of September.

Sounds like a great trip. We are staying more north to hit the Yellowstone rally on the way by. 

Tom and Margi said:
Diane's 2016 blog is now on my Favorites list.  Looking forward to her reports on your trip.  She does an excellent job of reporting what you are seeing in your travels.  I very much enjoy and appreciate her efforts.

Margi

Thanks Margi! She puts her heart and soul into all her entries and loves knowing that folks are enjoying them.

Sounds like a great trip. We will be going to Maine, with a brief stop in NYC this summer. We are fitting it into two weeks though, since we are still in the working world.

We are going to hit NYC as well. We will stay across the bay in NJ at Liberty Harbor.  Just a gravel parking lot with hook ups, but really close to the city.

We toyed with the Liberty Harbor idea, but ended up making a reservation at Croton Point State Park a little ways up the Hudson. We will take the train in and avoid NYC traffic. Hope it works out ok. It will also be our kid's first ride on the train.

Sounds like New England is the place to be this summer. We'll leave the lights on for you.

We did the North East last year. This year we are going back West/North West. I have some suggestions and tips on places to stay if you are interested. Are you going to DC?We were visiting with people camped next to us in Spokane that were from Boston that were on their way west to see grand kids. I asked what route they took. The guy said just get on the Mass turnpike and go west. Makes it sound easey.
Bill

Oh yeah, Diane has the route all planned out already, as well as many of the parks we will be staying at. At the time of year we are going we needed to secure some of the places we wanted to stay or we would have been locked out.  Prior planning!

Marty-

I see you're driving right by me on I-80 in Western Illinois and also apparently staying somewhere near here (#16).  If you're interested, we could get together for a lunch or dinner "mini-rally."

Marty,
Same here. You'll most likely be heading up I-95 going through Portsmouth NH before entering into Maine. We are located about 15 miles north of Portsmouth. So if you're looking for a place to crash for a night or 2, you're welcome. We would have water and electric. No sewer.

Hey Everyone!  I am Marty's DW, Diane (AKA RVnChick).  I am the chief planner and navigator - so Marty wanted me to chime in on the inquires involving our planned stops.  :)  I do not have his experience with the forum so bear with me ;)

jagnweiner said:
Marty-

I see you're driving right by me on I-80 in Western Illinois and also apparently staying somewhere near here (#16).  If you're interested, we could get together for a lunch or dinner "mini-rally."

Stop #16 is the border of Iowa (Davenport) and Illinois (Rock Island)in early June.  We do not have a reservation for this stop but the plan is to stay at the Rock Island/Quad Cities KOA - Unless there is a better suggestion.    ???

Rene T said:
Marty,
Same here. You'll most likely be heading up I-95 going through Portsmouth NH before entering into Maine. We are located about 15 miles north of Portsmouth. So if you're looking for a place to crash for a night or 2, you're welcome. We would have water and electric. No sewer.

We are driving from Normandy Farms RV in Foxboro, MA to Shore Hills RV in Boothbay, ME in early July.  I have already made reservations for these stops.  From past experience, I learned that if I do not plan and make reservations for our summer stops early - many of the desirable RV parks book up.  We also have stops at Smugglers Den in Southwest Harbor, ME, Wagon Wheel at Old Orchard Beach, ME and Wawaloam Campground in West Kingston, RI.    Hopefully, I made good choices with these parks....either way...it is all part of the adventure!

SargeW said:
We are going to hit NYC as well. We will stay across the bay in NJ at Liberty Harbor.  Just a gravel parking lot with hook ups, but really close to the city.

We'll be there late June for 5 days. Our trip is starting south (Big Bend NP), then FL and up the coast all the way to Eastport, ME.

ken

RVnChick said:
Stop #16 is the border of Iowa (Davenport) and Illinois (Rock Island)in early June.  We do not have a reservation for this stop but the plan is to stay at the Rock Island/Quad Cities KOA - Unless there is a better suggestion.    ???

Diane-

I work in Rock Island and live in Geneseo, about 25 miles east of there.  I am perhaps a bit biased in favor of my hometown, but I would recommend the Geneseo Campground.  http://www.fulltiming-america.com/geneseo/ .  (Odd website; for some reason you have to click on a picture of a turtle to navigate to the next page)  50A FHU for less that $30 a night (website says $26, but I'm not sure if that is 100% current).  I've never camped there because I only live two miles away, but it consistently gets excellent reviews on rvparkreviews.com.  I do go there to fill my propane tank and the staff is always very friendly and accommodating.

Is this just a one night stop and back on the road, or are you spending a few days?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.  You only have about 4700 posts to catch up with Marty.  ;-)  I suspect you might be a bit like me, enjoying the planning of the trip almost as much as the trip itself.

Diane, it's nice to be able to tell you in person just how much I enjoy reading your blog.  Keep up the good work!

Margi

RVnChick said:
We are driving from Normandy Farms RV in Foxboro, MA

We have been to Normandy Farms several times but it's been years. It is a big campground. Nice but I imagine it will be a little pricey for that time of year.

jagnweiner said:
Diane-

I work in Rock Island and live in Geneseo, about 25 miles east of there.  I am perhaps a bit biased in favor of my hometown, but I would recommend the Geneseo Campground.  http://www.fulltiming-america.com/geneseo/ .  (Odd website; for some reason you have to click on a picture of a turtle to navigate to the next page)  50A FHU for less that $30 a night (website says $26, but I'm not sure if that is 100% current).  I've never camped there because I only live two miles away, but it consistently gets excellent reviews on rvparkreviews.com.  I do go there to fill my propane tank and the staff is always very friendly and accommodating.

This campground is owned by good friends of ours, two of the nicest folks to be found anywhere on the planet.

Sounds like you've got good suggestions for #16 but just had to put in our recommendation for a stop we made there.  As soon as you cross the Iowa/Illinois border on Rt 80 there is a COE campground 1 mile south and right on the Mississippi River.  Very nice campground with 50 amp service, $20 a night or $10 with the senior pass.  Loved sitting at our site watching the river barges plying the river.  Fisherman's Corner Recreation Area is the name of the campground.  Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom