The Maine and Eastern Seaboard Trip, Just the Facts, Maam!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For some reason, I'm only seeing Stop #1 (Los Angeles) on the map and nothing on the Itinerary page.

I'm also going to be on the East Coast this summer, to help with sound at the Escapees Escapade in Essex Junction, VT Vermont July 24-29.  The trip will be a little faster than I'd ideally like, I'm leaving Los Angeles on June 25 and returning on September 4.

Lou, if you are looking at Diane's blog, the itinerary map is one of the pics if you click on the attached photos with the entry. 

Lot's of great info! I love getting insider info when heading to a new area.

Marty and Diane, If you are going through Ohio on I-80 there are two rest areas ( one at each end I think) with RV spots with electric for $20. There are also a dump station and a place to take on potable water.

jagnweiner said:
Diane-

I work in Rock Island and live in Geneseo, about 25 miles east of there.  I am perhaps a bit biased in favor of my hometown, but I would recommend the Geneseo Campground. 

Is this just a one night stop and back on the road, or are you spending a few days?

Thank you for the recommendation!  I checked out the web site and it looks very nice.  Unfortunately, they do not have paved sites :(  One of the first things I look for!  It will be a three night stay.  I am intrigued by vetmom's recommendation...

vetmom said:
Sounds like you've got good suggestions for #16 but just had to put in our recommendation for a stop we made there.  As soon as you cross the Iowa/Illinois border on Rt 80 there is a COE campground 1 mile south and right on the Mississippi River.  Very nice campground with 50 amp service, $20 a night or $10 with the senior pass.  Loved sitting at our site watching the river barges plying the river.  Fisherman's Corner Recreation Area is the name of the campground.  Enjoy!

I see that Fisherman's Corner COE has paved sites and views of the Mississippi!  The pictures on-line look amazing!  $20 a night for 50 amp....no water or sewer but there is a dump station and we are only there 3 nights.....This looks fantastic!

Rene T said:
We have been to Normandy Farms several times but it's been years. It is a big campground. Nice but I imagine it will be a little pricey for that time of year.
  HA!!!  It seems all commercial parks in the Northeast are very "pricey." 

Tom and Margi said:
Diane, it's nice to be able to tell you in person just how much I enjoy reading your blog.  Keep up the good work!

Margi
Thank you, Margi.  I will try to keep my blog interesting, informative and joyful!  I know how fortunate I am to be able to travel and tour our beautiful country with all the comforts of our motorhome.  There is so much to see and experience.  It is a very good life!

jagnweiner said:
Oh, and welcome to the forum.  You only have about 4700 posts to catch up with Marty.  ;-)  I suspect you might be a bit like me, enjoying the planning of the trip almost as much as the trip itself.

Yes, trip planning, navigating and adventure organizing fits right in with my OCD!  Marty is the driver, mechanic, mod master and my DH....

RVnChick said:
I see that Fisherman's Corner COE has paved sites and views of the Mississippi!  The pictures on-line look amazing!  $20 a night for 50 amp....no water or sewer but there is a dump station and we are only there 3 nights.....This looks fantastic!

I haven't stayed there, but have driven through.  It is a nice CG.  I would definitely choose it over the Rock Island KOA, but then I always choose parks over commercial campgrounds.  The only slight negative is that it is close to railroad tracks, so there is a potential for some train noise.  All the reviews say it is not excessive train noise, which makes sense because it's not a very busy route.  If you ride bikes, there is a paved bike trail that runs right by there along the Mississippi.

I'll send you and Marty a PM with my cell # and as you get closer I can offer some suggestions of things to do in the area.  I don't want to sidetrack this thread into a commercial for Quad Cities tourism.

Sorry Bill, I got lost in the shuffle.  Stop 19 is Geneva State park in Ohio.  I have a massive amount of family not far from there, and it should be a busy stop.  #20 is Hickory Hill Camping Resort in Bath, NY.  We have never been there before either so it  should be interesting. 

We are three days from pulling out, so I am scrambling a bit to take care of a zillion little things before we go. I am so excited!

Please keep in touch. An easy way is to follow me on my Facebook page. We are doing about the same trip but counter clockwise.  We may run into each other on the East coast.  :)
We plan to be in GA by about the end of May then head North by the end of June.

You can friend me on Facebook, as I stop by there and check in occasionally. I am on RV Forum much more though. I find talking about RV's way more interesting than the drama I find on FB! I can PM you my full name if you want.

I was in the neighborhood last summer. I have a sister in Erie. We stayed at the Westfield KOA and then moved to Lake Erie State park. I grew up in Westfield. Just so you know they have a farmer?s market on Saturday where the local Amish lades come to town in their horse drawn carts and sell backed goods. Best giant glazed doughnuts for a $1.00.
You are going to be crossing Lake Chautauqua. If you have time there is an interesting place to visit, Chautauqua Institution. Sundays are free. http://ciweb.org/
We stayed just down the road from Bath in Camp Bell Campground,
8700 NY-415, Campbell, NY 14821, campbellcampground.com, (607) 527-3301.
I hope you are going to visit The Corning Museum of Glass, 1 Museum Way, Corning, NY 14830, cmog.org, (607) 937-5371.
We also had to visit Ithaca and Cornell University, we have a granddaughter attending and had to see if it was a descant school.
We were traveling west so this was the first stop after returning from Canada.  Are you going to Canada?
Bill

Thanks Bill, good info. I have lots of family in the Ashtabula area in OH.  Not sure how much family time there will be, but if we have the time we will look at some of your suggestions.

We are not planning on doing Canada this trip. We originally were thinking of doing the Maritimes this year, but opted to stay in the country and revisit the east coast attractions again as we didn't get to see much on our last trip through.

Sarge your trip looks similar to the one we took last summer.  We did it in reverse.  Didn't go quite as far south and hit more Canadian cities on the return, but did some of the same areas.  We also went to Nova Scotia.  After spending a week in Nova Scotia, we traveled through Canada to Sault Set Marie Ontario stopping at Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa.  The Canadian part of the trip included some of the most memorable.  Don't know if you have time for that but it's certainly worth a look.  As an aside, I did see your new driveway.  Wow, that's a lot of concrete.  ;)

Gary 

Ok heare is an add on for the east coast. Last summer I spent some time in New England area. I drove HI way 1 from the New Hampshire state line to the most northern most eastern campground in the US in Eastport. I have been as far ?down east? as you can go.
I also spent some time in the New Found Lake area of New Hampshire. It was a good base camp for exploring the White Mountain area.
Hearer are some of the campgrounds I used.
Wild Duck Campground, 39 Dunstan Landing Rd, Scarborough, ME 04074
wildduckcampground.com ,(207) 883-4432,
Great location just south of Portland and not far from Old Orchard Beach resort area.
Don?t forget to go to Freeport Maine, home of LL Bean and is a huge outlet store area.
Look at the outlet shops around Kittery Main on the state line.  When in the area check out When Pigs Fly bakery. https://www.sendbread.com/
They have a restaurant /bakery on the north end of Kittery. they allso have a bakrey in Free Port.
This is the NH. camp ground.
Newfound RV Park, 792 Mayhew Turnpike, Bristol, NH 03222
newfoundrvpark.com ,(603) 744-3344
If you don't have reservations in the moody Beach Wells Beach area you won't get in, make reservations today.
Moody Beach RV Campground, 266 Post Rd, Wells, ME 04090, rvonthego.com , (207) 646-4586
Now going north from Portland we went to Arcadia National Park and stayed a little south at a nice rustic place on the south side of Ellsworth ME. You can try to get in to one of the RV parks near Bar Harbor but they were full when I was there.
Forest Ridge Campground, 40 Flockamoosen Way, Ellsworth, ME 04605 , forestridgecampground.com , (855) 299-6969
Then went to the most Northern and Eastern campground in the US.
Seaview Campground & Cottages, 16 Norwood Rd, Eastport, ME 04631, eastportmaine.com , (207) 853-4471
From there we drove the toad to, Roosevelt Campobello International Park, Welshpool, NB E5E 1A4, Canada , fdr.net , +1 506-752-2922
Be shure you have your Passports. Had a good day touring the Roosevelts home and the island.
Bill

If you make it to Nova Scotia, you have to hit the Cabot Trail.  Don't do it if all you have is a Class A.  Very windy and hilly.

Also if you make it to the Conway NH area, try to take the auto rode up Mount Washington  and try taking the Kangamangas Hwy. from Conway over to Lincoln. 

Sr Fox said:
Hey which mapping program did you use to make the map?  Looks great.

It is from the now defunct Microsoft Streets and Trips.  Last version made is 2013.

Attachments

• 2016route.jpg
    2016route.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Bill, lots of great info. We will still be staying state side, too many guns on board to wander into Canadian territory.  That trip will take a little more planning. 

Love the old Streets and Trips.  We crossed the USA ocean to ocean several times using that program with early GPSs

Margi

Back
Top Bottom