The Maine and Eastern Seaboard Trip, Just the Facts, Maam!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill,
I am not sold on staying in Bath, NY but Westfield and Chautauqua are not east enough for our next stop - visiting Cooperstown.  I checked out Camp Bell's web site and it looked nice...I just wish I could find a park with pavement or at least gravel in that area.  I loathe parking on grass...your Eastern bugs eat me up something fierce. 

No stops in Canada this adventure....we have too many firearms on board.  ::)

You will have a hard time finding camp groundes like we have in the west.
"I loathe parking on grass...your Eastern bugs eat me up something fierce." What bugs? ;)  They don't have fier ants or chiggers.  :p I didn't see maney mosquitos.
I hope you take the time to visit The Corning Glass Museam it is amazing.
Just a stray thought, Camp Bell had (when I was there) cheap propane compared to local prices.
Are you going to Boston after Cooperstown? If so I can tell you how to gett a free touer.
Bill

I have an extensive background in IT and  am working on doing a better trip log.  Because I am basically lazy I only have compiled a photo log of our trip last year. You are welcome to check it out at www.srfox.net  My plans are to do a better job this year.  :)

April 1st we hit the road to start the 2016 adventure to the eastern US.  We didn't go far for the first leg of the trip,  just going from Fallbrook to Huntington  Beach, about 80 miles.  We stayed in a beach campsite that we have not been in before, Sunset Vista campground (and I use that term  loosely). This spot was convenient for several family and friend events we wanted to attend before heading out of state.

Sunset Vista is quite literally a parking lot. The city of Huntington Beach, in order to  create some off season  revenue have added hookups (water and  electric) to an  existing parking lot. The up  side of this campground is that you are mere steps from the sand and the pacific ocean. The  down side is that you are also within steps  from a major coastal roadway in back of the camping area, Pacific Coast  Highway (Highway 1).  The  campsites are all asphalt, and each one is 6  parking spaces in size.  That is that the sites are made  up of three car size parking spaces wide, and two spaces deep.  In reality, that is a fairly good size RV space, room  for your RV, tow car,and plenty of outside sitting room.  The electrical pedestal is 50 amp, and water faucets on a raised concrete pad to separate  the sites. There is a dump station on site.

The sites cost $70 per night, and reservations are made on line on the cities web site. While pricey, it is not out of line for most Ca beach campgrounds since Gov Jerry Brown doubled the cost of most state campgrounds during the recession.  There are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby in walking distance, and a walk/bike trail also right in front of the beach sand.  The Huntington Beach pier is about a 5 minute walk down the bike path. Handicapped  restroom and shower facilities are nearby, but are also public accessible. Wifi is available if you have a hot spot or air card, but the campground has no Wifi of it's own.  There are two rows of sites. The front row is angled parking for rigs 30' and below, the second row is pull through for rigs up to 40', but I did see a few rigs that pushed that limit by a few feet. 

One big downside for this location is the noise from PCH, and a nearby high rise construction project that is across PCH. Also because this site fronts a public beach, the weekends are extremely busy with lots of people and walkers and bikers packing  up the bike path. The beach also has several fire pits that usually fill up at night, and even though there is a 10 PM closing time on the beach, that time limit is stretched a bit as well. 

The cost and crowds didn't discourage the campers though, as the park was near capacity every night. However, the sunny 70 degree days and mild nights helped some too.  Even though this park served our needs nicely, I would hesitate to come back due to the noise and crowds.  It is also important to say that this is only a campground in the off season. During the summer months, it goes back to  being a regular parking lot for beach goers. I guess it is a matter of economics. They charge the RV'ers $70 a day to take up 6 of the car parking spots a day. In the busy summer months, those 6 spots bring a minimum of $90 a day, and possibly 2 or 3 times that if the same spots are sold numerous times a day.

Diane is also posting her blog tonight as well. 

Next we move on to Morro Bay and another beach campground. However, I expect the next one to not be quite as noisy as this one. 

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 41
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 37
SargeW said:
During the summer months, it goes back to  being a regular parking lot for beach goers. I guess it is a matter of economics. They charge the RV'ers $70 a day to take up 6 of the car parking spots a day. In the busy summer months, those 6 spots bring a minimum of $90 a day, and possibly 2 or 3 times that if the same spots are sold numerous times a day.

If they were smart, the city could leave the electric power on during the summer and let electric cars recharge while their owners are enjoying the beach.  For a slight surcharge, of course.  ;)

Funny you should mention that Lou! Right in back of the camping spots are 4 electric vehicle recharging stations.  Complete with credit card reader of course.......

WILDEBILL308 said:
Morro Bay is  nice I have stayed there before. There is a big coloney of  Carmarans next door.
Bill

Bill.....I have no idea what a Carmaran is!!???  I Googled it....not much help!

Ok I can't spell but I am ok with it.  :-\
Cormorant
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Double-crested_Cormorant/id
I had to go look. We stayed at The Inn at Morro Bay, There was a bird sacuarey next door. It is on State park road.
Bill

Didn't mean to criticize your spelling.  Just wanted Marty and Diane to be able to find the cormorants before they left the area if they were interested.

Morro Strand State Beach
Yerba Buena St, off Highway 1
Morro Bay, Ca 93442
We pulled out of Huntington Beach and headed up the 101 towards Morro Bay. LA traffic sucked, as usual.  Once we got through the Valley it thinned out and travel was much more enjoyable. Like last year we stopped for fuel at ?Silvas Oil Company? in Ventura. Although we didn't need much fuel, like 24 gallons, I know that the choices are slim in this part of the state for fueling large vehicles.  Silvas had a line of cars waiting to fill at the 2 or 3 pumps they have for passenger cars, but the 8 or so large vehicle lanes with diesel were about empty.  I was pleasantly surprised to see diesel was the lowest priced fuel at $2.17 a gallon.  For about anywhere in Ca that is outstanding.  86 octane was running about $2.40 a gallon.

I fooled around with my VMSpc a bit, as I am still trying to get my new Windows 10 tablet to talk consistently to the JIB that sends the information to the tablet via WiFi.  Well, no luck so it will have to wait until I get to Morro Bay and can spend some time on it.

We pulled into Morro Bay looking forward to a little peace and quiet after our rather noisy stay in Huntington Beach.  What a difference 245 miles can make! We stayed in Morro Bay during our California coastal adventure last year, but we were at a different RV park.  Last year we were at Morro Strand RV park, and this time we stayed in Morro Strand State Beach campground.  A big difference in these two parks as well. 

On the up side, about a year ago the state added many new full hook up concrete RV sites. The campground flier indicates that the full hook up sites are limited to 40' or less in length. I do think that you could fit a 40'+ rig though, as there is 8-10' of space in back of the rig after the concrete pad stops. They are back in and are wide enough for the rig and a tow vehicle. We turned the Jeep and parked in front of the rig, thus we were able to use the concrete parking pad for daily use.  The back portion of the parking area is dirt and is where the picnic table sits. We put down our rug to cut down the dirt and sand  tracked into the rig, and it did rain a bit while we were here.  The sites have 50 amp, and the water pressure is remarkable, especially for a beach location (my on board regulator was easily pegged at 60 psi). The full hook up sites are $50 a night. There are many dry camp spots available as well at $35 a night.  The beach is a short walk down a path through some areas that are being regrown with native plants. The cool part is that the sound of the surf is clearly present, and provides a calm background noise to soothe you to sleep each night.  And even though there are houses at the top of the bluff in back of the campground, the area is incredibly quiet night and day.  Unfortunately dogs are not allowed on any of the beach areas in this State Park, so Fido needs to stay in the campground.  Our Verizon air card worked really well here, but no park WiFi is available. 

One really surprising point being that this is a state park is the absence of any handicapped facilities. The campsites themselves are easily negotiable with flat smooth surfaces and small rolled curbs, but that is about it. There are two bathroom facilities, one at each end of the park, but neither is handicapped accessible.  In spite of a crude asphalt ramp, the doors into restrooms, and on the stalls themselves are not ADA compliant. There are also no shower facilities here.  The campground flier states that fact, but indicates that by showing your receipt for t this campground, you can drive 6 miles south to Morro Bay state park and use the showers there.  Not very convenient.  But if you don't need showers, or Handicapped facilities, I can highly recommend this campground.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 36
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 29
BTW, Diane's blog has been updated if you are following hers as well.  And an edit I forgot in my review above.  Most of the the dry camp spots have a length limit of 24' for your RV. There are only 2 dry camp spots that will accommodate up to a 40' rig. 

Sarge, it looks like you'll be on the I-80  for part of your trip.  Have you identified any RV parks or campgrounds between Fenley and Wells.  Fenly is about 30-40 miles East of Reno.  Wells is maybe another 275 miles.  We plan on taking US 93 from Wells to Twin Falls, ID.  We prefer State and National campgrounds to RV Parks and have identified two potentials, Humboldt State Wildlife Management area and South Fork State Recreation Area.  Any info on those or others you know of. 

Gary

garyb1st said:
Sarge, it looks like you'll be on the I-80  for part of your trip.  Have you identified any RV parks or campgrounds between Fenley and Wells.  Fenly is about 30-40 miles East of Reno.  Wells is maybe another 275 miles.  We plan on taking US 93 from Wells to Twin Falls, ID.  We prefer State and National campgrounds to RV Parks and have identified two potentials, Humboldt State Wildlife Management area and South Fork State Recreation Area.  Any info on those or others you know of. 

Gary

Gary - We are stopping in Sparks, Nevada (Reno area) and staying for a few nights at the Sparks Marina RV Park.  Then we have an overnight scheduled at Iron Horse RV Park in Elko, NV.  We have overnighted at Iron Horse in the past and it worked out perfect for us...no need to disconnect the tow.  There isn't much in that area so we don't plan to stay for more than one night.  From there we head to Salt Lake City.  I agree that State Parks and National Parks are the way to go but I am not familiar with the two parks you mentioned. 
Mrs. Sarge (Diane)

Back
Top Bottom