The Maine and Eastern Seaboard Trip, Just the Facts, Maam!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blazing Star RV Resort
1120 West Loop 1604 North
San Antonio, TX 78251​

This RV park bills itself as a ?Luxury RV Resort?.  Maybe at one time, but the sheen has wore off a bit through the years.  This is a very highly rated park on RV park reviews.  While it is well maintained, it could use some sprucing up. Also some of the reviews list the park as having 900 sites.  Actually it has 9 rows of sites, numbered 100 through 900. The park has 260 sites. 

The park has paved roads and cement sites with smallish patios, about the size of a picnic table.  There are many full grown well maintained oak trees in the park, which gives it a lot of shade and character.  The problem with the sites is that they were most likely put in when not a lot of RV's had slides.  The parking pads are just wide enough for the wheel base of the rig. If your rig has slides on the passenger side, you will walk through the dirt, grass, and mud when it rains to get to your RV door. 

Many of the sites have overhanging oaks, which is good for shade in the summer, but in the fall with trees dropping leaves and acorns, it can sound like a drum solo on the roof of the RV and the aluminum  picnic tables.  Fortunately Diane secured us a site that the trees only covered the slide toppers, so it was not as bad.  Ask for one of these sites if you need to get satellite reception. 

I did note that about 80% of the sites here are long term or permanent residents. Most are more towards the back of the park with the daily rentals in the front.  There is a fair amount of traffic noise here as well.  A major highway runs in front of the park and the 60 mph traffic is pretty consistent.

There is a decent size pool and a hot tub by the office in front, but sadly the hot tub was never heated while we were here, so I guess that makes it just a tub.  There are many large oaks by the pool as well and the maintenance crew spends lots of time sweeping the acorns up.  There is also a gym with some free weights and a few aerobic machines, but it is pretty small. 4 people in there make it pretty tight quarters. There is also a good size dog yard separated into a large and small dog sides.

The restrooms are in good condition and handicapped accessible doors, but the shower did have a 3? lip  to get over.  Oddly they close from 9 PM to 8 AM.  If you have to use the restroom in the middle of the night I guess you are out of luck.  They offer Wifi here, but when I looked at it, the sign in required way too much personal info, like phone#, home address, and email address.  The Verizon air card worked well enough, but it did slow down in peak times.  We were still able to stream Netflix though. 

We paid $53 a night for a premium site. I think is was premium because the grass area was larger than some of the others that were very close to the neighbors.  There are also many ?cabins? for rent, but I was not able to find the rates.  The park is a part of ?Sun RV Resorts? so when you call, you get a general reservation service instead of the park itself.  After the reservation is made, the park may try to contact you for further details. 

All in all not a bad park, but not quite the ?luxury? resort for modern standards. 

Attachments

• Blazingstar1.JPG
    Blazingstar1.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Blazingstar2.JPG
    Blazingstar2.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 26
  • blazingstar5.JPG
    blazingstar5.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 30
As  usually happens with us, when we get close to home several of the stops are over nighters. Partly to get through much of the desert area that we have been in before, and partly to make it to predetermined holiday reservations.  I will give just a quick recap to some of the over night locations. 

First was Fort Stockton RV Park, 3604 KOA Road, Fort Stockton, TX. 79735.
Good over night stop, flat gravel sites with grass and trees.  Good space between sites, mostly pull throughs. A full hook up 30 amp site was $33.75 a night. They did have a large grassy dog park. The roads were gravel, and there was some freeway noise. 

Next was Hacienda RV Resort, 740 Stern Drive, Las Cruces, New Mexico. 88005.
We were here for three nights to shop and catch up on some laundry.  We have been here before, so it was a good restocking location. Flat sandy gravel pull through's. Most are ?Jack and Jill?, so we asked for a end site to not have a neighbor too close on our drivers side. Had some noise from the freeway, and a nearby train at night. No shade to speak of. We paid $44.82 a night for a 50 amp FHU site. There is a Walmart across the freeway from the park.

Tucson/Lazydays KOA, 5151 S. Country Club Road, Tucson, AZ 85706.
Our 5 day stay at Tucson/Lazydays KOA was trimmed to 3 days to dodge an incoming storm. Normally not a big deal, but we also liked the idea of adding the days to one of the next stops. We have stayed here before, and love this park. While truly a desert campground, they have done an excellent job making this park comfortable and well appointed.  The park has installed and operates a covered RV parking section.  The cover is formed out of a huge section of solar panels that cover a section of the RV spaces.  We didn't stay under the cover, as the sun felt good on the cool fall days.

We stayed in a premium site which had a paved patio and grass, and was surrounded by a 3' hedge that gave Heidi the pooch a natural barrier to patrol. We paid $60.95 a night for a 50 amp FHU site. The pool and hot tub are good size and well maintained, and they have a huge well appointed gym. For the 3 days there I used all the amenities as often as possible.  I will be back to this park. 

Fort Beale RV park, 300 Metcalfe RD, Kingman, AZ 86401 was our next over night stop. Gravel and sand sites are mostly pull through's.  They are long and flat, great if you don't want to unhook the towed. A very clean well maintained park, and the road noise from the freeway was minimal. We paid $33.68 for a 50 amp FHU site.  Good over nighter.

Las Vegas Motorcoach Resort, 8175 Arville Street, Las Vegas, NV 89139.
We have stayed here before also, this is a Class A only resort, and I believe that there is a minimum length, but I am not sure of what it is so call and find out if you are not sure. There are owner ?built out? sites, and ?standard? sites with just pavement and some grass. We like the unimproved sites as it gives us a lot more room to spread out.  On the improved sites, many of the owners have some of the amenities covered or locked so they are not accessible to use, so why pay the extra for them. 

The location of the park is good, far enough off of the strip to not have too heavy traffic, but close enough to allow easy access to entertainment and shopping. We stayed on a week rate, plus 2 extra days. It averaged out to $73.55 a night. It is not much more than a premium site at the Oasis RV park which is the opposite side of I-15 on Blue Diamond Road.  For the different rate you get a gated, guarded community, a large club house with gym and custom showers.  There is also 4 different pools with hot tubs in the park, so getting to one is never very far away.  If I were only staying a day or two, the Oasis would be perfectly acceptable, but for a longer stay the extras are nice. We met friends here for Thanksgiving, so for places to dine there were many choices to pick from.

The last stop of this adventure was to go back to the mountains and have a family reunion of sorts for our oldest son's birthday. And that also meant getting to see the grand kids! The only choice we had due to the time of year was Big Bear Shores RV Resort, 40751 North Shore Road, Fawnskin,  Ca 92333. This was our first time here, and hopefully the last.  This is another of the owner occupied RV sites, and some are put into the rental pool.  They are in various stages of development, and have different amenities on each site as well.

At the time of year we stayed 11/29 to 12/6, the place was nearly deserted. There was only us and one other renter there most of the stay. The rates are still way expensive for what you get, we stayed in a lake front site (even though the water level was extremely low).  The drought and lack of snowfall has hit the area pretty hard.  We paid $125 a night, which was way excessive, in my opinion. Even though we made our reservations weeks before, when we arrived we almost didn't get in. It is gated, and fortunately we got the maintenance guy about 15 minutes before he was due to leave for the night. There was no paper work for us, and no one had prepared for our arrival.  He would later tell us that the owners are going through a divorce, and the couple is fighting about the park.  No one is paying any attention to the day to day business.  If we didn't already have significant plans to see family for several days, we would have left and drove home. 

The clubhouse was closed, and the gym equipment was out of order, the pool and hot tub were out of order, and little had been done to clear the roads of snow. But they still want to sell you a lake front lot for $399,000.  Sure, don't hold your breath waiting for my check...

Normally when we stay in Big Bear we stay as the Forest Service campground, Serrano, which is across the street from this park.  And the rates at Serrano are about $30 a night.  But Serrano is not open year round any more, so we had no choice.

THE WRAP UP​

After the family visit we headed home. We left on this adventure on April 1st, and returned back home on December 6th.  It was a great trip, and we stayed in 51 different campgrounds.  We covered 10,006 miles from start to finish.  We went coast to coast, and seen some new sights, revisited some previously visited places, and met up with several RV Forum members along the way. 

There were some bumps along the way, various minor repairs, and just the day to day experiences that make the Rving life so much fun and rewarding.  We have been back at the stick and brick for about 3 weeks, and the holidays are in full swing.  I have already had to jump in and handle several maintenance repairs on the the house, and even some of the vehicles that sat quietly in the garage while we were gone.  So either on the road, or at the homestead, there are chores to keep me busy.

And yes, Diane has already started planning the 2017 travel season and making reservations.  Not even a month at home and we are already looking forward to the next trip.  But for now we are happy to make contact with all the friends and family we haven't had a chance to sit down with for a while. And I am sure that I will come up with another project to tackle here at the house.  But getting the RV ready to roll is always in the back of my mind.........

Attachments

• Lazydays campsite.JPG
    Lazydays campsite.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Lazydays KOA.JPG
    Lazydays KOA.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 14
  • Lazydays clubhouse.JPG
    Lazydays clubhouse.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 16
  • LVMC resort.JPG
    LVMC resort.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 15
  • LVMC #2.JPG
    LVMC #2.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Big Bear #1.JPG
    Big Bear #1.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Big Bear #2.JPG
    Big Bear #2.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Big Bear #3.JPG
    Big Bear #3.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 22
SargeW said:
I have already had to jump in and handle several maintenance repairs on the the house, and even some of the vehicles that sat quietly in the garage while we were gone.  So either on the road, or at the homestead, there are chores to keep me busy.

And yes, Diane has already started planning the 2017 travel season and making reservations.  Not even a month at home and we are already looking forward to the next trip.  But for now we are happy to make contact with all the friends and family we haven't had a chance to sit down with for a while. And I am sure that I will come up with another project to tackle here at the house.  But getting the RV ready to roll is always in the back of my mind.........

Stick built maintenance, the down side of home ownership for extended travel RVers.  As much as I enjoy having the house, it's difficult getting back into the home ownership swing of things.  Especially when I'm constantly thinking about an RV upgrade and when we'll be back on the road and not doing the things that need to be done.  Like painting, and weed pulling, and putting new carpet in the motorhome.  It's a difficult balance.  ;) 

WILDEBILL308 said:
Glad you had a great trip. Happy New Year.
Bill
Thanks Bill, you too.

garyb1st said:

Stick built maintenance, the down side of home ownership for extended travel RVers.  ;) ]

I totally agree Gary. As soon as I start getting within 100 miles of home, my mind starts drifting to all the projects there waiting for me.  Being a fulltimer for a few years was really nice in that regard.  Nothing to worry about except what you had with you.

Back
Top Bottom