EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Curiosity question for the FULL-TIMERS  (Read 6352 times)

ArdraF

• ---
Re: Curiosity question for the FULL-TIMERS
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 09:25:12 PM »
but I still can't seem to part with weird stuff, like my 8th grade report card

Not weird at all.  Your kids or grandkids might enjoy it, especially if one is a teacher.  When my mother went to the nursing home and I was getting her genealogy "stuff" ready to ship home I came across her diary from her last year of high school.  I loved reading it to see what her daily life was like!  When I told her I found it her comment was, "Oh just get rid of that; it's not worth keeping."  Maybe not to her, but priceless to me because she was dating Daddy and talked about the things they did together.  I still have it.  Keeping it for her three great grandchildren who might enjoy it too.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

JeffandTracy

• ---
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 06:51:28 AM »
Not weird at all.  Your kids or grandkids might enjoy it, especially if one is a teacher.  When my mother went to the nursing home and I was getting her genealogy "stuff" ready to ship home I came across her diary from her last year of high school.  I loved reading it to see what her daily life was like!  When I told her I found it her comment was, "Oh just get rid of that; it's not worth keeping."  Maybe not to her, but priceless to me because she was dating Daddy and talked about the things they did together.  I still have it.  Keeping it for her three great grandchildren who might enjoy it too.

ArdraF

That is the sweetest thing I have read!!! Don't know you from anyone but, that brought a tear to my eye, not gonna lie  ;)
Those are the things that mean the most, truly.
Jeff and Tracy, (mostly Tracy)

2004 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 37PCT
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD Quadra-Trac II
West Michigan

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 07:04:05 AM »
  Maybe not to her, but priceless to me because she was dating Daddy and talked about the things they did together.  I still have it.

I hope it wasn't everything they did together.   ;D
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 12:06:28 PM »
This is our first Motorhome. We haven't even taken it on a trip yet. But somehow the Hubs and I started making comments like, "I could live in this" or "that tiny house idea is cool, but movable is better", and then it kind of snowballed ;)

We won't be seriously considering an adventure like that for at least another 10 years. Still have one kid at home and we still need the Hubs' job.
It is a viable option though, if I can tear myself away from my kids, grandkids and parents. My Step-dad has Parkinson's and I need to stick around to help my mom with him, and take him to the Vietnam Memorial in D.C. before it's too hard for him to get around.
My kids are all Momma's babies, I see or talk to almost every one of them daily. The grandbabies, I've spent their whole lives convincing them that I was their favorite :)

I agree about the tools!! My father-in-law was an electrician so the Hubs has all the tools for that. He is a master wood-worker (well, maybe not a master, but pretty damn talented) plus he's pretty handy with vehicles. He has a garage loaded with tools, plus his room in the basement...I'd guesstimate about 2000+ pounds of tools..haha

Yeah, about those guns...hahaha  We have a newly built 'gun room', someday I'd like to physically count all of our guns, but I would probably throw-up. There has to be well over 50, he has a bad habit ;) In my defense only 6 are mine...1 revolver, 4 semi-auto's and an AR-15 (my step-dad is a former sniper/sharpshooter, I want him to teach me) I couldn't imagine replacing all of those, plus the old guns he's gotten over the years.

:) :) :)
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats), Sali (toy poodle)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 08:02:07 PM »
I hope it wasn't everything they did together.

Are you kidding?  Rene, Mother grew up in a strict Methodist home and she never danced or had a drop of alcohol until after they married.  As a kid visiting Grandma I wasn't even allowed to read the Sunday funnies on the Sabbath!  Nor play Parchesi.  Mother was 14 and Daddy was 16 when they met.  They got married about four or five years later.

What's so interesting about Mother's diary is what it did NOT say.  Mother wanted to be a nurse but her uncle Doctor Harold said it wasn't a proper profession and raised cain so she was sent to teacher's college.  Daddy was a military person but his dad wanted him to be a doctor so he was shipped off to pre-med school.  That was September 1928 and they eloped in October 1928, at which point they were both kicked out of college.  Did you know that in the 1920s married people were not allowed to attend school?  Jerry's parents also eloped but managed to keep it a secret for a full year before anyone found out so they got a year of college.  Married people also weren't allowed to teach.  Things have changed!

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2016, 08:31:56 PM »
Stuff that I once thought was precious to me is now just junk and stuff that costs me to store.

When we moved from the UK to California, we sold everything. But, I had a couple of boxes of "must keep" stuff. Those boxes sat in our rental home for 6 months, then in the garage of our first purchased home for 10 years, then 5+ years in our next home. I finally opened the boxes and the "stuff" was no longer needed.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2016, 01:17:36 PM »
Looks like we are getting an RV this week and will be moving into it. Ive been going through stuff for about a month now, getting rid of tons of things. I have a few boxes of "treasures", certain clowns, christmas things, family things, an anniversary clock given to me by my son... etc. Not enough to warrant renting a storage unit, but too much to haul around in the RV, not to mention too fragile. I asked my son if I could store them there, he said they didnt have room. So I said, how bout I give you your inheritance early. :D
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

itsb

• ---
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 10:08:03 PM »
If we ever get to the point where we can get rid of everything, Im going to call in all the kids and sit in the front yard in a lawn chair with a beer and when I holler START, sit back and watch the show ;D
2010 Jaco Eagle
2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

JeffandTracy

• ---
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2016, 05:59:53 PM »
If we ever get to the point where we can get rid of everything, Im going to call in all the kids and sit in the front yard in a lawn chair with a beer and when I holler START, sit back and watch the show ;D

Hahahaha.....would love to be a guest at this show...fabulous  ;D
Jeff and Tracy, (mostly Tracy)

2004 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 37PCT
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD Quadra-Trac II
West Michigan

Pro-BSer

• ---
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2016, 04:57:55 PM »
While we are not yet full-timing we fully intend to and working towards that direction along with workamping. When DW's parents passed on a few years ago we watched in dismay how the family squabbled over the tiniest things. We decided that we would not let that happen when we go. The kids can start taking things they want now, everything else gets sold or given away. We are working on the house making it more salable while at the same time dejunking the S&B. 
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2016, 11:42:32 PM »
Honestly, that was the hardest part of it all.  Wife and I are in our 40s and had a bit of stuff.  We eventually just gave almost everything to Goodwill.  We thought about a yard sale but I really don't like the prep for those so we just gave it away.  I don't miss anything.  There's never a time when I say "I wish I still had X".

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 12:45:17 PM »
We are in the process of going to fulltime.  While we are researching 5th wheels and getting our ducks in a row, we are actively selling & disposing of stuff.  Not exactly easy for me as while there is a lot I can do without and happy to get rid of, there are some personal items that have made me feel warm & fuzzy to have.  So I have changed my approach, if I have not used it, looked at or forgotten I have I get rid of it.  I have reduced such items to one decent size Rubbermaid tub and easily managed.  All photographs of importance to me, I have turned into digital files and either passed on to family or disposed of.  In the end I am keenly aware that for the most part, it is all just stuff, does not add value to my life and it is liberating to get rid of it.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

Hosted by Over The Network