radiator fluid on the ground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alleycat63

Hello my name is Dave, I'm new to this site and also a first time owner of a 1994 Winnebago Brave. I bought it last week. when I went to pick it up started right up nothing was on the driveway all clear I drove it home 2 1/2 hour drive, parked it in my driveway went out the next day nothing on my driveway then I started it up then was walking around the outside of it and noticed that there was green radiator fluid dripping on the ground. I have no idea where on this site to ask this question so any help would be great! anyway so I shut off the motorhome it stopped leaking came out the next day and started it up before I did I looked to see if the radiator was full and it was so I started it up and it ran fine left it running for about half an hour with no leak and I did the same thing this morning and still no leak, can someone tell me why this happened or what I should do before I take it out on another road trip?
thank you so much and if this is not the spot to ask can someone lead me the way?

You're going to have to check every hose for a possible loose hose clamp. That will mean laying on the ground for some of them. Where it's a 1994 you might very well have some of the original hoses and if they are, they should be replaced. Don't take the chance of one of them bursting while traveling. And if you do replace hoses, also replace the thermostat.

Three posibilities

1: you have a leak.. See above reply.

2: The dealer overfilled the overflow tank. When you first shut down an engine the heat continues to rise, causing the coolant to expand, and flow into (and if overfilled out of) the over flow tank..

3: engine overheated slightly and boiled over the overflow (Also called recovey) Tank

As the other reply suggestee, Check for evidence of a leak, also check coolant level yourself every time you drive,, If you stop for lunch, check before driving (Remember to check the HOT line)

Look above the puddle for a trail. Your 1994 probably has green antifreeze, green antifreeze leaves a trail. If the puddle is under the area of the overflow tank, the overflow tube may be directly above the puddle, If the puddle is located under the front of the engine it may be water pump, thermostat or any one of the radiator heater hoses in that area.

If you can't find anything take a ride and get it up to full operating temp. Park it in the driveway, get out a lawn chair and observe. If you have done similar repairs on cars you can do them on a motorhome.

Bill

Hey thanks everyone! I took it out this weekend it didn't over heat or leak again so maybe an over flow thing, to full or something, I took it out on the freeway got it up to about 70mph for a few miles came home parked it no leak and then started it up the next day no leak as well.. Definitely going to look at all the hoses as you guys suggested for sure!
I have one more question, This is a 31ft 1994 Winnebago Brave it came with no refrigerator and I've looked everywhere on the net to see what size this fridge might be to no avail, does anyone on here might know what size of a fridge that I need to get?

alleycat63 said:
I have one more question, This is a 31ft 1994 Winnebago Brave it came with no refrigerator and I've looked everywhere on the net to see what size this fridge might be to no avail, does anyone on here might know what size of a fridge that I need to get?
More information would help. Did it ever have a fridge? If so what are the opening size for the fridge, width, height, depth in inches. Be aware that if you get a propane fridge you will have to have a vent in the roof and access to the fridge from the outside. You will need 12 volt, 110 AC, and propane. I am sure you can find a fridge that will fit. If you go residential then you will need 110 AC only. Generator or shore power.
Mel

Back
Top Bottom