Winnebago chassis question (and more)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garry G.

I was looking at a couple of motorhomes this week. Both were in comparable condition, very nice. Both were 2005 Winnegabo Adventurers. One was a 37B 37 foot with 3 slides, workhorse chassis (I was told W22), 22.5" tires, it had opposing rear slides, 44k miles. The other was and Adventurer 35 foot with a Ford Chassis, 19" tires, 2 slides, 35k miles, I don't remember the model number. Comparing the two chassis is one appreciably better as far as durability, handling etc? We like the floor plan of both but favored the 37B. The 37B was priced 18,000 more. does that make sense? Someone just posted on this or another forum that their workhorse 8.1 just blew a hole in the top of a piston at 44 k miles. Gives me pause. I posted question on another forum then I remembered there was a dedicated Winnebago board here. Thanks!

Have you driven the two motor homes? When you do you will feel the difference in the handling. The work horse is a great chassis and you will be very happy with that.

Workhorse had some major brake caliper problems that prompted a recall but chances are that chassis had the upgrade done, other than the brake issue, I've not heard anything else negative. The larger tires of the W22 are a bonus.  I certainly wouldn't let one report of a piston blowing a hole sway a purchase decision.

Look up the brochures on both models (look in the Winnebago Resources thread at the top of this section for a link) and compare specifications and like Raylc suggested, drive both and compare.

I would give the Workhorse W22 chassis an edge in 2005. The 2005 Ford F53 chassis is actually a 2004 because Ford was redesigning the F53 in 2005 to "catch up" with the numerous improvements that Workhorse had built into their W-series chassis. The 2004 Ford used the older 2-valve V10 with 305 hp, a 4 speed transmission, and most models had the smaller 19.5" wheels. The Workhorse W22 has the far-superior 5-speed Allison 1000MH transmission, a 340 hp V8, and the larger 22.5" wheels as well as a number of suspension and steering improvements.

As John mentioned, Workhorse had a major problem with the Bosch disc brakes used in the W22 and all 2001-2005 W20 & W22 chassis were recalled. The mechanism would stick and the brakes dragged and overheated. It was severe enough that near 100% of owners got theirs fixed, but you should verify the brake recall was performed on that unit. You can get the relevant recall info from the NHTSA Recall website.

The GM 8.1L V8 is a strong engine and problems such as you read about are rare indeed. In fact, the Ford 2-valve V10 of that era had a more prevalent issue, sometimes blowing a spark plug out of a cylinder. Again, most of those were fixed long ago.

I have owned and driven both the F53 (2001) and now the W22(2004). The W22 is far superior to the F53 is handling, power, fuel economy, and 22.5" tires. The big advantage come with the transmission! My 2004 has a 5 speed Allison. The 2006 may have a 6 speed. I have not driven the newer F53 chassis's so I cannot compare.  We love the floor plan of our 37b! I do not look forward to purchasing a new gas coach because the only option is a ford chassis. However, if Winnie can out with a floor plan matching our current coach, the DW would not care if it was on a F53 chassis! :'( 

Back
Top Bottom