Has Anyone Camp Hosted at Furnace Creek Campground in Death Valley?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsetti

We have applied for a host position at Furnace Creek Campground in Death Valley and would like to hear from anyone who has previously hosted there.  Hours, tasks???  We have read the job description but would like to hear of real experiences.

Thanks.

kdbgoat said:
Just bumping. Hoping someone can give them an answer.

Thanks kdbgoat!  I was going to do the same after a week.  You beat me to it.

We did, several years ago. We hosted at Sunset. Great job. Very, very busy during 49ers Encampment. During that two weeks, all the hosts worked. The rest of the time, we split up the days with 2 other couples. We had to check tags in the morning to make sure people paid and again around 5 pm. At 9, we made a patrol to make sure there were no generators running. Mostly just be available to help visitors, answer questions, report anything wrong to the Rangers. It was great. We'd do it again.

I assume this is for the winter ??

Wendy said:
I assume this is for the winter ??

Yes, we spoke with Leah and told her we would be available from mid-Oct to mid-April.  We hosted at Seeley Lake Campground in the Lolo NF last summer Memorial Day to Labor Day and will again this summer.  There were supposed to be 2 sets of hosts last year but our companion host changed his mind at the last minute so we were alone for the summer.  We cleaned rest rooms, sites, fire rings and two beaches.  The DV assignment didn't seem like it would be over taxing and we are looking forward to spending time in the area.

We have not heard back on our application (Leah was checking our references) so we don't know if they will want us for the entire time or only part of the season.

Thanks for the information.

Wendy said:
Very, very busy during 49ers Encampment. During that two weeks, all the hosts worked.
Excuse the hijack, but I am interested in your information about th 49ers Encampment. We would love to go for a week, and we can dry camp that long. I am totally spooked about not being able to find a spot after traveling that long though. Do I have to make reservations with the concessionaire to guarantee a spot, or can I just show up and find a spot? I really want to be in the Furnace Creek area if at all possible. As you can see from our signature, we are fairly small and can fit a lot of places bigger rigs can not.

TIA for any information.

Furnace Creek Campground takes reservations and will probably sell out the day the reservations open up. Across the street is Sunset campground which is dry camping with LOTS of sites, no reservations. When we hosted at Sunset, it filled up, too, before the 49ers Encsmpment actually started. I know people who went to 49ers last year (2015) and they said Sunset never filled. 49ers Encampment is a lot of fun.

Thanks! I hoped that was true, but I worried because it is a long way to anywhere else if it filled! I don't mind being in the overflow area, and I actually prefer Sunset to the other campgrounds - those views! We will probably be there on the Saturday or Sunday before the encampment.

It's a huge gathering at Death Valley National Park - music, history, art, and more. Very crowded, very fun.
http://www.deathvalley49ers.org/encampment/

Just above Sunset Campground(parking lot) there is a nicer campground. It is ideal for smaller rigs and the tent folks love it there. There is NO generaters allowed thou. The views are outstanding. Fire rings and picnic tables at every spot...unlike Sunset(parking lot). Water, flush toileys and water available too!

john owens said:
Just above Sunset Campground(parking lot) there is a nicer campground. It is ideal for smaller rigs and the tent folks love it there. There is NO generaters allowed thou. The views are outstanding. Fire rings and picnic tables at every spot...unlike Sunset(parking lot). Water, flush toileys and water available too!
Definitely prettier, but we won't fit. The poster with the A-frame might fit, but it really is a campground specializing in tents and pickup campers. Besides, we can go without a generator for a weekend, but not for the week I want to stay in Death Valley, so Sunset it is! Besides, it seems like a lot of the activities are actually held at Sunset and it is just across the street from Furnace Creek. Also, even Sunset has some gorgeous views. We like it much better than the campgrounds at Stovepipe Wells.

Sunset Campground used to be the Furnace Creek airstrip.  Back in the 1960s you picked a spot on the graded runway and set up camp.  It's been expanded since then so the original layout is obscured.

Back then it had trailer mounted restrooms - not the permanent buildings they have now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom