Refrigerator tipped over from mounting and slide failure in new moho

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMERICANRASCAL

Let me begin by saying for the most part we are big fans of Winnebago RVs. We just traded our 2014 Itasca Sunstar  for a new 2016 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q. The 38 Q has been our dream coach as it is configured exactly with what we want.  The Sunstar was near perfect and we experienced no significant problems with it in the 2 years we owned it. It had just been a bit small for us and we wanted more space, amenities and capacity- this we traded up.

But we have had some serious problems with it the first week we've owned it and its now back in the shop after our first 400 + mile trip. What I offer here is not to complain but to give information about what we experienced that may be useful to others. If this rig is repaired properly we will be  very happy  and we are so looking forward to enjoying the 38 Q. Some of you may have seen my experience on other sites but I share here just to let folks know about this so they can keep an eye on things in their own rigs.

We picked up our new 2016 Adventurer from the dealer about 9 days before this happened. Last Monday we were returning the rig to the dealer after our first short trip of about 450 miles for some repairs on a few serious issues (roof leak, engine codes, broken slide and others) that arose on that first outing. We left early Monday morning and drove interstate all the way through moderate traffic but relatively good road to get it to the shop at the dealership about 150 miles from home. As we exited the interstate and turned left we heard a rather substantial "CLUNK" somewhere mid-ship in the rig. Both of us looked and saw nothing wrong and just figured it was a cabinet door shifting or bump we hit as we observed nothing visually wrong. We drove another 500 yards to the next intersection and turned left from a dead stop at a light. As I straightened out the wheel after the turn we heard this huge crash,my wife was sitting in the passenger seat turned to see the Whirlpool double french door residential refrigerator had fallen out of its slot on the rear of the drivers side forward slide. The fridge crashed into the microwave across the coach at about a 45 degree angle.
We were pulling into the dealership/service center when the fridge fell and tipped over from its mounting slot.

There was damage to the refrigerator which seemed to be primarily on the lower freezer door which appears to be twisted and warped from the fall. Interestingly the wife had locked the doors so they would not slide before we left home. The lock also obviously failed. When it hit the microwave it marred metal on the microwave steel exterior door.

Thankfully we had emptied the fridge before taking it to the dealership.I couldn't have imagined the mess had it been full of food!

Dealer reps came out and were shocked as they said they had never seen this before (and they are a large dealer). The service manager and I observed the decorative wood face-plate had ripped from the wall over the fridge. But the mounting brackets at the top rear had very easily just pulled right out of the wall.

I'm not an engineer but the  screws and bracing brackets to secure the refrigerator to the wall at the top of the fridge behind the appliance seem very inadequate for the mass and weight involved- especially with the forces of turning in a rig of this size.

My driving is old man conservative style and I take my speeds and corners very gracefully, so I know I did nothing to contribute to an abnormal force .

In addition to leaving this with the dealer to manage I have also reported this to Winnebago.

The Power gear slide failed on the way back home on our first trip.We traveled about 250 miles south for a 4 day jaunt, extended and retracted at the CG (had to retract 2X at the CG to protect the slide toppers for severe storms in the area that were threatening hail and high winds) No problems. We decided to head home Sunday morning . All seemed well loading and retracting the slides up to this time. Each time we used the locking mechanism.

About 70 miles later I glanced out the drivers left mirror and noticed the front of the drivers side Powergear slide had crept out about 3 inches. I managed to get into a rest area and leveled the unit and went through a full open retract exercise- no luck. Still a 2-3 inch gap. During the operation we noticed it didn't quite operate as it had in the past- notably the slight elevation movement at the end of the retraction did not seem to occur in the forward part of the slide.

We also noticed that the decorative dust cover plate, which sits on the end of the arm to cover the mechanism, over the forward extension arm did not seem to be seating or retracting properly in its vertical position. It was canted at an angle instead of being perfectly vertical and initially would not fully retract, then later went too far inboard.

We pulled the operators manual out and read the drill on how to manually retract the slide using the override sequence. We did so and tried to align the unit as prescribed in the process and managed to reduce the the forward seating over extension down to about 1 inch, but the dust cover area was canted even worse.

At this point we just wanted to get the rig home and back to the dealer as this was over my head and we just wanted to get the system secure enough to get to the dealer. The slide forward edge remained about 1 inch out the rest of the trip home. Once we arrived home, I decided to remove the dust cover over the forward slide arm as I was concerned that any movement would bend and damage the decorative dust cover assembly. Four  small nuts held it in place.

We  observed that the top two bolts of 4 major connecting bolts that connected the vertical arm to the slide bracket on the face plate at the end of the arm were protruding. Clearly this was improper. We moved the slide out one more time and found that the face plate was not acting with rigid movement as the rear and did not set properly. There was a lot of play present where the rear arm face remained rigid. It was clear these bolts were not supposed to move. I attempted to tighten the bolts them but found they were stripped and they just spun in their setting- protruding about 1/2 inch beyond flush as they should have been. I could not tell if they had simply been left loose in the factory thus damaging the threads through normal vehicle movement, or if some force had pressed them and stripped them from their securing nuts. If that was so it had to have been some significant force and it seems the gearing would have been damaged before these heavy bolts would have stripped?

This all was far beyond my mechanical capabilities and its warranty work regardless so we wanted the service folks to observe exactly what  was found. We left it alone and drove it to the dealers Monday morning. We left it as we found it with the exception of the dust cover which we kept off so it would not be damaged due to the irregular movement of the slide.

The rear slide arm seemed to work perfectly through the entire period.

We offer this and hope no one else experiences a refrigerator - or any other major appliance- falling out of its mounted slot, and hope no one had or has a Power gear slide failure on their new rig. But be careful when traveling and stay under a seat belt- you never know when a bracket holding an appliance might fail and send a heavy appliance careening across your rig.

We're being positive about this( but we're a bit shaken by the experience also) and have learned much even though this is our 8th RV in 35 years. We're hoping Winnebago and the Dealer get this all squared away and our rig back to us promptly. I still am a fan of Winnebago and hope to be in the future. But this experience does have us concerned.

A residential isn't any heavier than a big RV fridge, and may even be a bit lighter. However, residentials are on wheels and designed to roll, whereas the RV fridges are designed to be built into cabinets and are actually difficult to move even after mounting screws are removed.

On this one, it may be the cabinet maker didn't realize his construction was going to be subject to a massive weight. Or maybe one of the assembly workers forgot to put down the floor feet that normally inhibit the rollers. If the fridge could shift back & forth even slightly, it can soon cause even a sturdy wood joint to fail or screws to work out.

Thanks Gary. Just to offer some more info.

It appeared the front feet of the fridge remained anchored as it fell forward across the rig. There did not seem to be movement of those front feet. The top crashed over and across the walkway (at about 45 degrees) into the microwave face on the opposite wall.  Thus if there were wheels (I didn't see any)  they seemed to be anchored. In all likelihood though as the front feet remained stationary , the foot anchors were most likely bent or destroyed  as a result of the fall

The upper anchors clearly pulled and stripped away from the wall allowing the fall to occur.

I wish I had taken pics (the dealer did take pics) so I could more easily have shown this.

Joe

I would think Winnebago would incorporate anchor plates in the wall like they do for cabinets. Maybe they didn't position them in the right place. Be interesting to see what the Winnebago fix is.

Somebody must have missed something on the production line, this isn't like Winnebago whatsoever.  Usually the problem is trying to take something apart that was secured at the factory.  Winnie has been installing big 4-door residential fridges for five or six years now so they know what needs to be engineered.

Winnebago is on top of this, parts have been shipped to the dealer and engineering is looking into the situation.  The cause is probably a production line oopsie.

Thank you John for the follow up! Much appreciated!

I really hope i can pick up the info on the finding and the corrective action. Will share if successful!
Joe

Had a good talk with Winnebago this morning. While nothing has shipped yet they advise it will be expedited later today or tomorrow. Seems that when the fridge decided to tip over forward it took all the fringe woodwork trim along with it. The replacement wood trim is being milled at another plant, then to be shipped to the Winnebago's warehouse today. There it will join a new refrigerator and microwave for an expedited shipment to Oakwood GA. Should all arrive Monday or Tuesday (fingers crossed)?

Winnebago thinks (as John mentioned earlier)  that somehow in production the tie bracket screws for the fridge missed or somehow pushed aside the strap that is in the wall for the fridge to securely connect to. While its a good assessment and very likely what occurred, its of some concern as to how they might assure they hit it and secure the brackets properly on the repair. How would they validate the connection?

The Powergear slide ram is another story. Winnebago says the service center in Oakwood will have to deal directly with the Powergear folks. Oakwood could not give me an answer on where that stands this morning maybe later? Very disconcerting that the top 2 bolts stripped out of the end of the ram. That had to have been some more kind of force to do that! Even after its repaired one has to wonder why the slide and ram were not even seating properly when retracted?

Still about 2 or three other items of concern but these are the biggies.We very much need the rig back late next week for an urgent trip. We're pretty uptight about it all but have our fingers crossed it will somehow all come together.

That's the latest

Joe

AMERICANRASCAL said:
...Winnebago thinks (as John mentioned earlier)  that somehow in production the tie bracket screws for the fridge missed or somehow pushed aside the strap that is in the wall for the fridge to securely connect to. While its a good assessment and very likely what occurred, its of some concern as to how they might assure they hit it and secure the brackets properly on the repair. How would they validate the connection?..
Hopefully it will be obvious where the fasteners should go, at least they know where they don't belong. They can probe around the area with an icepick or tiny drill bit to make sure they hit the plate.

Engineering will undoubtedly look at the production methodology to make sure this can't happen again.  Good luck with the repairs.

Winnebago shipped and the dealer installed new woodwork trim, microwave, and new refrigerator. All looks and works well.

The dealer made an error and did not order the slide ram insert mechanism, but they were able to re-tap the stripped bolts and the slide is working temporarily. Apparently the slide ram system has to be fabricated and won't be ship for  a bit. But they have the slide working  for now (fingers crossed). Will have to go back for the new ram install. Only bummer there is the 300 mile round trip traveling through Atlanta to get to the dealer- that travel terror seems to get worse each trip!

Still some other bugs with the coach, but relatively minor in comparison.

The PCM on the V-10 has to be reprogrammed. The engine and runs great, but they have been having code problems with this F-53 V-10 model. The local Ford dealer will hopefully complete a reset today.

I am very happy with Winnebago's response- but will probably always have an eye cocked to the rear watching the fridge while in transit and will worry about my slides. But we do love the rig.

Thanks John for your help!

Joe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom