Where to drain the antifreeze - popup - no grey water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wonderlust

A really basic question. How and where do I drain the antifreeze from the plumbing system? I don't have a grey water tank - I just keep a bucket under the drain.

Which is another question - it's hard to hand carry this bucket to wherever the dump station is. And it's messy to try to put an uncovered full bucket in the car and drive to the dump station. Any thoughts?

I bet a campground wouldn't be too happy if I just drain the antifreeze or even just my grey water right onto the campsite. Besides, in a week, I might be camped in a puddle.

So, how many buckets would I have to haul in order to complete the antifreeze draining?

Drain it on the ground - it's potable water antifreeze, right? Or drain it in a bucket, but you still have to dispose of that somewhere.

Any unhappiness you encounter will be because people just see the water draining out and figure it is waste, not fresh.

Get one of those blue tote tanks to haul your waste to the dump station. Much nicer than a bucket, and you won't have to go as often.
http://www.adventurerv.net/totealong-portable-holding-tank-gal-barker-p-415.html

Great -blue totes were the answer for another question I posted! I'll have to research blue totes! Thanks!

Just a silly question? how much antifreeze do you have to drain?
The last pop up I had that had no holding tank took less then 2 seconds to clear the plumbing using the compressed air method to clear the water lines.
Then less then a gallon of the pink stuff into the fresh water tank to keep the seals and pump from freezing.
was not really a lot to have to carry to the dump station.

but of course the blue tote will solve the issue anyway.

1275gtsport said:
Just a silly question? how much antifreeze do you have to drain?
The last pop up I had that had no holding tank took less then 2 seconds to clear the plumbing using the compressed air method to clear the water lines.
Then less then a gallon of the pink stuff into the fresh water tank to keep the seals and pump from freezing.
was not really a lot to have to carry to the dump station.

but of course the blue tote will solve the issue anyway.

I would NEVER put pink stuff in my fresh water tank. I can see where it would take a lot of flushing and dumping to clean it out.

well seeing as I can't take the rig south for the winter, and I don't want to remove the water pump for the winter, I don't have much choice.
I only put enough to fill the pump so really not that much. just have to fill above the outlet so the pump can pick it up then I pull the drain on tank and blow the lines out.

side note: I just ordered the windshields for my motorhome from Lakeland fl :)

1275gtsport said:
well seeing as I can't take the rig south for the winter, and I don't want to remove the water pump for the winter, I don't have much choice.
I only put enough to fill the pump so really not that much. just have to fill above the outlet so the pump can pick it up then I pull the drain on tank and blow the lines out.

side note: I just ordered the windshields for my motorhome from Lakeland fl :)

Do you have the ability of sucking the pink stuff out of the jug using your pump? If you don't and if you have somewhat easy access to your pump, install one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-Pump-Converter-Winterizing/dp/B0006JJ588/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459805690&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+winterizing+hose

Then there would be no reason to put pink stuff in your tank and you'll probable save on the amount of antifreeze you use.

That looks like a good idea. when I redo the plumbing in the next couple of years I will see about adding that in. the pump is in a tiny little hole in the far back under the bed. So the less I have to crawl under there the better. (the motorhome is 1977 with OEM plumbing that is just begging to crack and break soon.)

When I had my '94 Jayco pop-up, compressed air to blow the FW system worked the best. However, I did pour about a half cup of pink stuff into the FWT to protect the plastic fitting at the bottom of the tank. In case of condensation and whatever. The Spring sanitizing of the water system took care of the pink stuff.
No big deal. No trips to the dump station. All taken care of before the first camping trip.

It's safe to release the antifreeze to the ground.  To dilute it you could always top up your tank and let it all go at once.  You'll often see people in full sized rigs releasing gray water to the ground at a campground if they are staying longer than the tank can allow.  A blue tote is great in this case as well.  Sure there will be someone with a comment to make, but its not like a black tank being emptied. 

I had a old 1971 StarCraft camper.    No gray tank no holding hand.  The sink drain tube just drained out under my camper.    I ended up picking up a 6 gal water jug from wallmart.  And installed a longer drain house thatbi just stuck into the jug.    Easy to cap and take to dump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom