iPad Mini 2 Frustrations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry N.

I thought about putting this in the PCs, Communications, Electronics section, but I'm not sure it's quite appropriate there, so thought I would do it here, instead.

When one of my grandsons got an Ipad Mini 2, I thought I should pick one up (on sale at Target) to finally explore what the "Apple thing" was. Understand that my digital computing background started with some of AT&Ts stuff on the telephone network, went through the TRS-80, to a PC (why did IBM steal that term that was in general use?), to several Amigas, in addition to the Unix training and experience I got at work, then Win 95 (and up) and Linux, never caring much for what I had seen of the Apple side of things.

So, with this iPad Mini 2 I find a lot to like, and a lot to hate. It's frustrating at times, such as finally discovering that I had to download Apple software for my PC in order to buy an "app" (I hate that term) that would let me move pictures and videos between the iPad and the PC, using an odd connector (Lightning, I think it's called) that uses a proprietary cable with the other end being USB. And there's still no way (that I've found) to manipulate files on the iPad in a normal fashion (easy to do with Android). I even have trouble deleting photos, since the manual (and numerous online sources) says to (depending on IOS version) select then click DELETE, or to drag it to the trashcan, neither option being available.

There are other odd things, too. On the other hand, the display is superb, the responsiveness very crisp and immediate, and the camera is excellent. There are some excellent aviation products available with an ease of use and responsiveness and display clarity that are wonderful, better than anything I've seen for Android, and even road map stuff (OsmAnd for example) is nice to look at (though limited) and responsive (I'm using the "bad elf" plugin GPS/GLONASS receiver), but not much storage for downloaded maps (32 GB unit, most of it for other things).

But, on the minus side again, there's no way to expand storage, and everything seems proprietary, with no thought to accommodating people who actually know something about computing and want to do something that Apple hasn't thought of AND approved AND allocated resources to implement -- they actually work at preventing you from doing a lot of things.

So, now that I've been messing with this for just over three months, I'm hunting for an iPad that will allow add-on storage, have USB ports and perhaps HDMI as well, and allow at least some limited file control/manipulation -- basically I want to get rid of some of the frustrations of using it. But, given Apple's "control freak" nature, I don't expect to ever find such a beast.

Or maybe someone here knows a few things that I don't (quite likely) and can point me to one.

Sounds like what you want is a Surface.  (but foreflight won't run on it...)

The big thing to know is that an ipad isn't a computer in that sense of the word...it does some competery things but using it like a PC or Mac is just not what it's designed to do.  It's designed mostly to get you to buy apps (and it does that very well!).

I like my ipad very much (not having to lug approach plates around is worth the price of admission) and for 90% of my computing needs it handles them just fine:  look something up on the internet, read a forum, check email, etc.  It has limitations and when you accept those you'll like it.

On a tangential note...check out the stratux if you're bored and want cheap ADS-B weather in the cockpit.

Larry N. said:
But, on the minus side again, there's no way to expand storage, and everything seems proprietary, with no thought to accommodating people who actually know something about computing and want to do something that Apple hasn't thought of AND approved AND allocated resources to implement -- they actually work at preventing you from doing a lot of things.
This in a nutshell is why I don't use Apple products. If you know anything at all about computers they are pretty worthless. It is either Apples way or the highway.

I keep everything on Dropbox so don't need expanded storage but you can get a lightning to USB dongle.  see http://www.macworld.com/article/2103582/using-a-flash-drive-with-an-ipad.html

I also love siri and dictate instead of typing also on my iPhone

MMW said:
Sounds like what you want is a Surface.  (but foreflight won't run on it...)

The big thing to know is that an ipad isn't a computer in that sense of the word...it does some competery things but using it like a PC or Mac is just not what it's designed to do.  It's designed mostly to get you to buy apps (and it does that very well!).

I like my ipad very much (not having to lug approach plates around is worth the price of admission) and for 90% of my computing needs it handles them just fine:  look something up on the internet, read a forum, check email, etc.  It has limitations and when you accept those you'll like it.

On a tangential note...check out the stratux if you're bored and want cheap ADS-B weather in the cockpit.

The Surface isn't what I'm looking for -- that's a Microsoft product, and has nothing to do with Apple or iPads. I already have an ASUS Transformer (Android 10" tablet). Perhaps you should re-read what I asked. And the iPad is, indeed, a computing device, with processor, memory, etc. It's the software that is rather unlike what we usually think of as computers, but the hardware is, in fact, a computer, just as Android devices are.

SeilerBird said:
This in a nutshell is why I don't use Apple products. If you know anything at all about computers they are pretty worthless. It is either Apples way or the highway.

This is also why this is the first time in all these years that I've bought an Apple product of any kind. It's not completely worthless, but it is frustrating and ridiculously restricted.

kcjonz said:
I keep everything on Dropbox so don't need expanded storage but you can get a lightning to USB dongle.  see http://www.macworld.com/article/2103582/using-a-flash-drive-with-an-ipad.html

I also love siri and dictate instead of typing also on my iPhone

I won't keep anything important (including pictures) on the web. A Lightning to USB cord comes with the iPad, but it's useless in terms of allowing PC access into the iPad file system -- it only seems to be good to charge from USB or to facilitate add-on software to do something for you, all of which I acknowledged in my initial post.

===========================
/rant/
A question: Do people actually read and comprehend posts here? Do they check to see if their reply is actually pertinent? If they're contradicting something in the original post?

Understand that I'm not referring just to this little piece, but I see it all the time on forums (yes, plural), where people respond with their own prejudices, even when that is discounted in advance by the OP, and when the answer is, at best, marginal in relation to the OP.
/end rant/

Larry N. said:
/rant/
A question: Do people actually read and comprehend posts here? Do they check to see if their reply is actually pertinent? If they're contradicting something in the original post?

Understand that I'm not referring just to this little piece, but I see it all the time on forums (yes, plural), where people respond with their own prejudices, even when that is discounted in advance by the OP, and when the answer is, at best, marginal in relation to the OP.
/end rant/
Oh you had a question? I thought you were telling us your life story.

Larry N. said:
The Surface isn't what I'm looking for -- that's a Microsoft product, and has nothing to do with Apple or iPads. I already have an ASUS Transformer (Android 10" tablet). Perhaps you should re-read what I asked. And the iPad is, indeed, a computing device, with processor, memory, etc. It's the software that is rather unlike what we usually think of as computers, but the hardware is, in fact, a computer, just as Android devices are.

This is also why this is the first time in all these years that I've bought an Apple product of any kind. It's not completely worthless, but it is frustrating and ridiculously restricted.

I won't keep anything important (including pictures) on the web. A Lightning to USB cord comes with the iPad, but it's useless in terms of allowing PC access into the iPad file system -- it only seems to be good to charge from USB or to facilitate add-on software to do something for you, all of which I acknowledged in my initial post.

===========================
/rant/

/end rant/

Sigh.  I did in fact read what you wrote and simply pointed out that what you want isn't available in an iOS device.  It likely never will be.  Is that clear enough?

Larry:
You already seem to know the basics of the answer to your question.  "You have to download ITunes to your PC then plug your ipadmini2(see, I did read your question) into the PC.  On the Devices Menu of the ITunes display you 'should' see the Ipad Mini there.  If it is, you can drill down to its Storage Folder(s) and manipulate your files as you wish.  Delete, Copy to the PC, etc. just as if you were talking to a second computer on a network.  What I do with my IPAD Air2 which has 64 Gigs, is to move anything...docs, pictures, etc. to the PC for storage.  Then if you want to store them externally, you can write them to a flash drive or larger device for safekeeping.
You can also play direct to a TV with a dongle (Lightning to HDMI) and then display the IPad Mini to the TV.  The resolution is not great, but usable due to the processor and ram limitations of the IPads.
The ITunes software is a "flakey" piece of work, in my opinion, since it seems to be only bent on serving up music(pay for it!) and "Apps" (pay for 'em).

Let us know it that works for you.  Perhaps someone else is more familiar with the process that I am, but the above works for me.

Gord

OK, sorry, though that's an odd way to say that. And I'm a bit touchy about Microsoft, especially telling me I want a Surface, which I definitely do not, since I avoid their stuff to the extent possible, though it's better than Apple. And I figured there's probably nothing like that available from Apple -- I just wondered if anyone knew of something I'd never come across. I even said that:
But, given Apple's "control freak" nature, I don't expect to ever find such a beast. Or maybe someone here knows a few things that I don't (quite likely) and can point me to one.

Sorry my bad mood got the best of me.

But note that the "rant" wasn't just about this string, but rather about something I see on just about every forum I've been on, not just this one and not just about RVs. I guess things just came to a head, having just a few minutes before seen that in a couple of other posts on this site and in a post on another forum (not replies to me, even) which seemed to ignore the OP's statements, at least partially.

I used Renae's IPad Pro a few times in the parking lot to show some photos of the mobile Emergency Room to some of the LIcensing and Regulatory officials.  It is good for ad hoc presentations and seems to be good tool with limited functionality as a "Computer".

So I went ahead and bought one for me to use as a handy portable "presentation brochure".  I am frustrated with the hoops that you do have to go thru to load content from the PC based laptop onto the IPad Pro.

I finally found a way to transfer content from the PC to the IPad.  Transferrring from the IPad to the PC is relatively easy with the LIghting cable.

I use an App called "Anytrans".  It is not as easy as using a file transfer program or even as easy as "Explorer" but it does work on small groups of files.  You cannot directly transfer with anything like the files and folders structure that we are used to in Windows.

It also works better on transfering MUsic and does set up a resonable file structure for albums and songs.

I transferred hundreds of PDF files but so far have not been able to access them using the apple adobe app.

I just got it a couple of days ago and have been busy setting up the temporary ER here in this disaster.

As I figure it out I will post my findings

Gord, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear -- I already have done the itunes, etc. stuff, and it's part of my frustration. I was just hoping someone knew of an iPad with the added characteristics, though I didn't really expect there to be one -- wishful thinking, I guess. It's a shame to have a device that is at once so great and so sorry, both at the same time. I guess I want the best of both worlds, and it's not there.

But thanks anyhow.

Yeah, share your frustrations at times.  Sorry I misinterpreted.  I thought you had had no success with the PC transfer thing.  My bad.

On the other hand you can always go get one with 128 Gigs.  ;D

I use an App called "Anytrans".  It is not as easy as using a file transfer program or even as easy as "Explorer" but it does work on small groups of files.  You cannot directly transfer with anything like the files and folders structure that we are used to in Windows.

Thanks, Bill -- I'm using one called "Transfer" to move pix and videos back and forth, and it works fine with the Lightning to USB cable. I can't find the "Anytrans" app in the "App Store" though there seem to be dozens of "apps" for that function.

Looks as if I just have to put up with its limitations, so it can't become a device I can use seriously.

Thanks, everyone.

I just got the newly released 256 Gig model on it's first date available this past thursday.  I also am frustrated with the limitations on how I can use it and the inability to do what should be easy things like transferring entire folders and subfolders.

I am also finding that you have to be extremely carefull to not have your data usage go thru the roof if you are unaware of the ICloud backup feature.  I also did all of my file transfers using the cable because I burned thru 4 gigs of data in one day and would have used much more if I used wireless transfer.

It really is more of an entertainment, email, browsing, and limited use presentation tool and that is how I plan to use it.

I have a 32 Gig plan and if this last week is at all representative I will have to go to at least 40 Gigs a month.

Yeah, been there.  Done that.  Didn't like my first iPad much for the first few months and then I got used to not having a connector for every other device on the planet.  I got used to it and use it almost 90% of the time.  (I have so many computers and different operating systems that I lost count)

There are ways to move things from iPad to PC/android/whatever without buying anything.  Dropbox, Google drive, or simply plug it into a PC and accept the 'Trust' certificate on the iPad.  I move pictures around that way more often than not.  You don't even need iTunes if you don't want it.

It's different, but that doesn't make it bad.

I do wish the Apple ecosystem was a little more open.  It's in their DNA.

Back
Top Bottom