Is my kitchen going to get my RV exploded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are remodeling the RV... just about everything. It's a Wilderness Advantage of 2006 in not too good shape. We already fixed a few leaks and now are working on the doors and some window leaks. However, I intend to pull the entire kitchen out, so that we can use that wall side instead. My intention is to make a small kitchenette, since we do not cook very often, have a grill outside, keep only a small refrigerator and make it into a niche, so that behind the niche we can place a small bistro table with chairs and have the rest of the space as 'lounge room'. However, my neigbor, who is my 'do-it-yourself' hero, said that he would never touch the kitchen in an RV. All that propane could just make the thing blow up! What? I don't even use the propane, at all. Is that true? If it is that dangerous, how do I get the entire kitchen out?

Just remove the propane bottles from the trailer and turn the stove on, don't light it. Leave the door and windows open for about 1/2 hour. Danger gone. Even not doing as I said with the stove pretty much eliminates the hazards, but there may still be propane in the lines if you didn't open the system somewhere. What will you use to heat the trailer? Be aware, the water system stands a better chance of freezing if the factory furnace isn't used in freezing weather.

:D Thanks! I just have a buddy heater for the colder weather. We are staying with the RV in warm weather zones. I don't like the cold. Will go ahead now and destroy the kitchen, lol!

Gotta agree with Seilerbird on this one! 

While I always urge caution when working with propane appliances and lines, it's not rocket science. The LP distributive lines in the RV are very low pressure and easily capped off if you want to get rid of the inside stove. Or switch to an electric-only fridge model. Do get advice on the proper method of capping off whatever gas lines you no longer need, but it's not something you need to fear.  You can get fittings for capping a gas line at most any hardware store or LP gas dealer.

No worries once the propane is out of the lines. I removed my whole kitchen since I only cook outdoors on the grill or griddle.  I had a welded in tank outside (that was completely full 30 pounds worth-had to bleed that all out slowly since no propane place would purge it for me) and removed that and all the copper lines running here and there. My fridge ran on both electric and propane. Works fine and the day it dies on me I will go to Home Depot and buy a residential unit. Cheaper and more efficient. Good luck to you!

swissmisswithkids said:
However, my neigbor, who is my 'do-it-yourself' hero, said that he would never touch the kitchen in an RV. All that propane could just make the thing blow up! What?

Your neighbor should wear a hat that reads "I R Idiot !!!" Just use common sense, you'll do just fine. Enjoy your RV.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

I'm in-laws are the same way. Terrified of gas anything.  When they bought a new home.  They had me change out a perfectly good gas range, gas dryer and gas hot water heater. And replace them all with electric units.    Then had the gas turned off at the street by the ulitely company.    Apparently they never herd of an electronic fire......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom