04 Wrangler manual 5 speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roy

This is year 2 with my jeep towing 4 down .
When I got the jeep took it to Dodge/Jeep dealer for Service.
When I picked it up they told me to change trans fluid every 2 years when towing.
All other service can go by the owners manual.  Any one doing this ?

No!  They think they saw you coming. The transmission is completely disengaged while towing so its the same as parking the Jeep.

Ernie

Towing in gear (assuming 4 whl drive) is done to ensure the trans is not turning; e. g. as if parked. An auto trans is towed in Park.

Ernie

No jeep is 4wd  and that is why I asked the question 
"is this BS " your opinion is it is          thanks

you opinion is it is

Roy said:
Your response is rather confusing and I'm not sure what you mean by "is this BS", but if I assume your Jeep is 4WD and if you follow Jeep's towing setup recommendations outlined in the owner's manual, you should have the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in gear.  Towing in this condition will not cause transmission rotation and, therefore, no need to change "transmission fluid" because of towed miles.  Which brings up another point - a manual transmission does not have "transmission fluid", per se.  Instead it is a heavy oil or grease (not exactly sure of viscosity, again check your owner's manual).

Roy said:

A good example of proper English usage. I assume he/Roy meant to say, "No, the Jeep is 4 wd"  and not, meaning that Jeeps are not 4 wd.
Especially since MOST Jeeps are 4wd.

I am aware that the  jeep takes  gear oil.  B.S = Bull Sh--
I really didn't want to spell it out. I Will continue to service my jeep based on the owners manual sorry for all the confusion typing on your iPhone can be fun at times

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom