Our Camping In A 5th Wheel Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Greetings,

My wife and I had the chance to camp in a 5th wheel last February. As of yet we don't own an RV but we are working on buying one right now. We stayed in the Picture Rocks area which is northwest of Tucson. I usually go to the gem show when it is on during that time. We needed cost effective place to stay and rented the 5th Wheel. Tucson Motels during the gem show skyrocket to double or more during the show. Even Motel 6 can cost $100 a day with taxes. We had rented a class C over a year back and liked the experience but decided on a larger camper (class A's) to purchase. We thought the 5th wheel might give us yet another camping choice to look at. We still are focused on Class A's of yet.

Staying in the 5th wheel was a nice experience and gave us some camping experience, along with the chores of dumping tanks and dealing with cold and heat in the RV. The setting was in the middle of the Saguaro National Park but on private property, a beautiful setting with a variety of cactus and mountains. We'd just sit out by the picnic table and soak up the beauty and peace and quiet many days. It also offered a great place to do astronomy. Located on a dirt road in a rural setting but just about a mile from some stores and gas station. This is a small but very nice campground very close to Gibert Ray State Park. The cost of renting the 5th wheel was much better than 8 days of renting a class C from Cruise America. In fact it was just a couple of hundred more than the class C rental for 8 days! However the fifth wheel was confined to the campground and even fenced in.

We had three slides in the RV which gave us ample room to move around in. We enjoyed the kitchen/living room combination, along with a TV with cable. I switched over to an antenna so we could watch Johnny Carson at night. A step up from the living quarters was the bathroom/shower and sink. Just past that was the bedroom which had a great mattress for sleeping and ample closet space. Very much like a model home. I set up my computer on a table overlooking the scenic setting in the living room. There were a number of campers that came and went during our month long stay. We had time to talk and mingle with some of them. Some were very quiet and kept to themselves, which is all right in opinion. Others came out and join us for astronomy through my telescope.

We helped the owners out a bit as they made a trip to go visit grandkids for a couple of days. Kept an eye out and made sure their gate was closed at night. Driving into Tucson took about a half hour from our camp location. Hosts had Christmas lights around the perimeter of our fenced in area making it easy to see when coming in at night. Saw a lot of those at other residences as well. Nice thing is the dim lights are not overbearing. Lots of wildlife in the area during our stay. It was hard to leave but needed to get back home to address a number of things after our long stay in Tucson.

Hi Bob,

They are doing re-runs of Johnny Carson on Ant. TV. Of course that is on the air TV so those with cable are missing the re-runs. We have enjoyed seeing the past guests and humor that Carson offered. Some common names now that were just starting out. Average program is 30 to 40 years ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom