Advice for non-residents choosing a state to register MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reading up on registering our rig as a full-timer, it looks like the right state depends on your situation.

I'm hoping someone can help with our particular case.

We are buying a used rv from a private seller in Ohio.  We don't live in the US though I'm a US citizen, my husband is French.  The plan is to travel across the states for about 3 months before heading south of the border, possibly selling the RV to like-minded travelers in Chili. 

Anyone can share their experience?  I've seen a few people with similar situations post questions but not what they ended up doing.

Cathy - You will need to appear in person at whatever state you decide to register it in. I think Texas would be your best bet since it is a liberal state for registration and right on you way to south America.

SeilerBird said:
Cathy - You will need to appear in person at whatever state you decide to register it in.

That's not necessarily so.  Our MH was registered to our Montana LLC without us ever having set foot in the state.  The registered agent took care of everything.  I'm not necessarily saying that this is what the OP should do, but a MT LLC could make a lot of sense.  It would avoid having to pay registration fees/taxes and those costs would almost assuredly be more than what it costs to have an MT LLC set up.  Since the OP says that she is a US citizen I don't think there would be any problem with setting up an LLC.  Furthermore, when they choose to sell, they can simply sell the LLC and its assets which makes transferring title very easy.

I wonder if I'll have trouble at border crossing with a vehicle in the name of an LLC. 

Would you mind giving me the name of your registering agent?

I wonder if I'll have trouble at border crossing with a vehicle in the name of an LLC. 

Would you mind giving me the name of your registering agent?

We've gone through the US-Canada border crossing four years in a row (in both directions) with no problems.  I always have a copy of the LLC charter showing that my wife and I are the "members" of the LLC.  No one has ever asked to see it!  ;D

Our registered agent is Action Services of Missoula MT 800-481-0013.  They aren't as well known as the Bennett Law firm which is the most heavily advertised, but we've gotten good service from them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom