Safety concerns, advice please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaMel

We have a 2014 F-150 4 x 4 Supercrew V8, not an ecoboost. 

13500 GCW Rating
7350 GVWR
5586 Curb Weight
1700 Payload capacity

We also have a Jayco Jayflight 2013 26bh.

4570 unloaded
7500 max
560 dry hitch
2930 ccc

We live in Alaska but are being stationed back down in the lower 48.  We are going to drive the TV and TT down with our small dog and two kids.  Any safety tips, suggestions, etc would be great.  We do have a standard tow package, weight distribution hitch and anti sway bars.  Is this an okay combination?  We do not plan to weigh the travel trailer down but I am concerned that we are at the top of our guidelines and I want my kids safe.  Thank you.

Hi & welcome to the RVForum.

I surely would not want that trailer loaded anywhere near its max (trailer GVWR), cause that definitely puts the truck over its safe limits. With your family onboard, and no doubt some personal gear as well, that truck is going to weigh in over 6000 lbs. That leaves you maybe 7000 lbs for the trailer and the hitch. Keep it on the light side. People usually badly underestimate how much their stuff weighs, and I'm guessing you will have a lot of stuff to move, even if most of it is shipped.

A quick perusal of the numbers tells me you're on the ragged edge.  As Gary said, keep it as light as possible and take it easy. 

Definitely make sure you are towing without any fluids in the tanks...  How are your tires? Maxing out your weight is going to be some strain on them.. make sure they ae in good shape.

Using your numbers, if you have the truck filled to capacity, including TT tongue wt, then  13,500 GCWR - 7350 truck GVWR  - 4570 dry TT = 1580# max weight added to the TT.

If you LIGHTLY load the truck, say 500# of passengers and pets, and carry 2400# in the trailer, then  5600# truck + 500# passengers + 730# tongue wt = 6830# truck wt - well below GVWR.  You may now carry 2700# in the TT.  7,300# TT  + 6,830# truck  - 730# tongue (only counts once) = 13,400 GCW.

Every  10#  added to the TT adds only 1# tongue wt to the truck.  It is a big balancing act.

NOTE:  THESE NUMBERS WORK MUCH BETTER ON SMOOTH PAVED ROADS IN THE LOWER 48.  I certainly suggest staying well below these numbers.  I hope this provides some ideas and options.

On  a separate note, I had a great uncle in the service who was transferred from Georgia to Alaska.  A few years later, he was transferred back to Georgia.  He was an officer with 27 years service.  He responded, "NO. I'm not going!"  They responded, "YES you are. The orders are cut."  He responded, "NO, I'M NOT!!"  He retired, and is still there today!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom