What kind of camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Max, thanks for posting that link.  What gorgeous photos!  We seldom have such a clear sky and almost forget how beautiful the Milky Way is because we don't see it all that often.  That full photo with the Aurora and Milky Way is a reminder of how much we miss in our modern lives full of bright lights.

ArdraF

As for a sports camera, I have a hero 2 so my info might be a bit dated but it could NEVER replace even a point n shoot. If used for what it's designed for - action shots/video it is fantastic! I.e. Mountain biking, motorcycle, running under the car at freeway speeds to diagnose that funny sound!? But the aspect ration of the lense really makes it useless for anything 50+ yards out. Tried using it for duck hunting on a gun mount the birds look like your skyscraping when they are well within gun range and same thing with bow hunting. A 20 yard deer looks great - a 40-50 yard deer looks like he's 75.

The sound that it captures leaves much to be desired especially if you have the waterproof enclosure on it. When I do interviews I make sure to leave the enclosure off as my first ice fishing experience with it(waterproof enclosure on) I could hear everything I was saying but whoever I was talking to, five feet away, was all muffled.

I had some disappointing first experiences. Since I've learned to work within this camera's limitations I've really had a lot of fun with it and made some great videos and memories but I'd never leave my backup PNS at home.

...I have a hero 2...

Not what the OP is looking for, but I've found that the Mobius at under $100 is pretty decent for action stuff. I've had one for several years, now, and its 1920x1080 video, though wide angle, is good. And its stills are OK, too. It's very compact and various mounting devices are available for it, or I occasionally carry it in my pocket or wear it on a hat bill.

For a lot of GoPro uses the Mobius does as well, and cheaper, though underwater or poor environments are not its strong points.

For the OP, I'd say one of the "bridge cameras" with a decent zoom range may be what you want -- no need to carry extra lenses, less expensive, but still good pix for most of us. And they're often more compact than DSLRs are, too.

If you are interested in a small pocket camera that is easy to carry take a look at the Panasonic DMC-ZS50.  Besides being able to do most everything a larger size camera can do it has the following.  It has both an LCD screen and an optical view finder so whenever you move the camera up to your eye the camera turns off the LCD screen and it turns on the optical viewfinder so you can see the same image that you saw on the LCD screen.

Here is something I previously posted about this camera.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,80922.msg733136.html#msg733136

JerryF

I have several Nikon DSLR cameras and recently found a great deal on an entry level Nikon DSLR. It is the Nikon D3300 kit from Adorarama Camera. The unit is refurbished and has a 90 day warranty. The camera cost $360.00 and I bought one for my daughter for an upcoming trip to Iceland. With an ok kit lens this is a terrific deal on a surprisingly good camera. I would add a 18-200mm lens but thats an additional 700 dollars. Their web site is also a good place to buy used cameras and lens.

SeilerBird said:
I totally agree with the idea of getting a sports camera. They are rugged, can go anywhere and still take amazing photos. There is a line of accessories that allow you to attach the camera to just about anything you wish and get point of view images from any point of view you can imagine.
I have looked at some of your photos and they seem great. That being said is there a particular sport camera that you would recommend?

My two cents here. I use my cell phone for most of my pictures. I do still keep my Nikon DSLR on hand for special occasions thought.

I would add a 18-200mm lens but thats an additional 700 dollars.

You can get a Tamron 18-200 used from B & H Photo for $149.95 (a reputable, actually very good, photo store). Or, you could get the Tamron 18-270 new from B & H (roughly 29mm to 405mm equiv., about 14 to 1) for $349 (I've used this for several years -- love it!). Sigma is another very good brand of lenses. Both companies provide lenses for all the major camera brands, without paying for the brand.

I agree that B & H is an excellent company and they have very knowledgeable staff and they also sell refurbished cameras and photography equipment.  In the last six years it's been my experience that B & H always beats the price of their competitors.  Sometimes manufacturers (like Canon) won't allow them to undercut prices.  In those cases B & H usually adds additional equipment or a reward that can be used on other merchandise.  Even if their prices were slightly higher there is something to be said about the company's reliability and the expertise of their staff. 

BTW,  B & H has videos on various products, shooting, and editing techniques.  Right now it looks like they have 46 videos on point and shoot cameras.  Of course you have to bear in mind that the videos are slanted toward that particular product.  Here is a link to the point and shoot videos: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/videos/photography/point-shoot?sort=popular  We aren't point and shoot fans because we are portrait photographers who shoot for print including wall portraits.

If a person is serious about photography and is interested in having their images printed, I would encourage them to look at a DSLR.  I only started shooting 6 years ago so I understand that it can be intimidating but it can be learned.  One of my grandchildren started shooting a Canon 60d when she was seven years old.  She is now 10 and shooting for competition.  (The other 8 grandchildren could care less about photography.)

Back to B & H... Having a photography expert on the other end of the phone is an added bonus for me.  If that expert can't answer my question, he/she always finds someone who can.  Your children might want to give B & H a call to get input on a camera that would fit your needs.  If the purchase doesn't work out B & H is great about returns.  I've called them for something as simple as a media card and they treated my inquiry no different than my call regarding a $2,500 lens.

When's your birthday?  Father's Day is coming right up!

Check out dpreview.com and go to the reviews section. They have a lot of reviews by camera type. You might be able to get enough info from the reviews to hone in on what would fit your needs and even which camera. Once you decide, B&H or Amazon are both excellent places to get a camera.

Cheers

IF you have the "I gotta have a DSLR bug," (and I do) Costco has the Nikon D3300 2 lens kit with wi-fi adapter and a 3 year warranty (instead of the normal 1 year warranty) for $499.99. I just picked one up. This will be my first SLR of any kind. I forsee a HUGE learning curve ahead... 8)

BoomerD said:
Heh...thanks...now all I have to do is get out there and find something worthy of having its picture taken!!  ;D

It's all worthy of being shot. Digital pics are free. Shoot the heck out of that camera and have fun learning it. Congrats on your new kit.

BoomerD said:
Heh...thanks...now all I have to do is get out there and find something worthy of having its picture taken!!  ;D

Hey Boomer

Try Yellowstone.  8)

Jeff said:
Hey Boomer

Try Yellowstone.  8)

Ingenious! What a great idea... 8)

It was this year's Yellowstone trip that pushed me to buy a better camera. I can take mediocre pics of things close up with my little P.O.S. point&shoot camera...and decent videos with the DW's iPad, but to get truly mediocer pics of things far away...that takes  better camera and lens.  :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom