Copy DVD program??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Fitz

I recently read a post from someone and I can't find it to tag along.  In anticipation of FT next year, I have just finished scanning a HUGE amount of pictures, military records, etc.  That is finally done.  I read on this forum someone who downsized their life by moving their 800 DVDs to the computer hard drive (or external hard drive.)

My question.  What program did you use to do this in the best way.  I really don't want to drag along a hundred DVDs, but I don't want to spend $120 on a program to do this, and have the program tell me "your commercial DVD is copy protected."

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

(Wow, am I glad the scanning is over.  Now I can give the hard copy of the photos to the kids and say "you want em, you got em."

Jim

You didn't say what operating system you're using.

I use Win X DVD Ripper  I think they have a free version but I got their paid version. I think it was $39.95. It has done everything I've needed.

I've got a 2tb hard drive so I make an ISO file and a mp4 file of each DVD. It gives you a choice of several formats to save the ripped DVD.

I use DVDFab ($49).  I have run into only one DVD it couldn't copy, but that was fixed in a new version which came out within days.

Jim Fitz said:
Were you able to copy the DVD to your hard drive on the computer?
If you were asking me, the answer is yes.  In fact, I have over 1,000 I've copied in ISO format.  Because of the large size, I've recently switched to MP4 which writes a much smaller file (I ran out of space for more drives).  One thing I like is it is simple to copy only the main movie (no previews, extras or menu).

Jim Fitz said:
Were you able to copy the DVD to your hard drive on the computer?

Yes, I copied them to the hard drive. Now that they are on the hard drive I can watch them on the computer or stream them to our TV through our Roku. The Roku is on the same network so it can see the video files and play them.

Handbrake and VLC are both free. VLC is a good option for copy protected DVDs as it can record the audio and visual output rather than converting.

You don't need a special copy program if your DVDs are in ISO (standard file system) format. Windows standard move/copy file works fine, though maybe  a bit slow for huge numbers of files.  Stick the DVD in the drive, view in Explorer, click-select the files and drag to wherever you want them.  If it's  4+ GB of files, go have a sandwich and a beer while it copies.  ;)

Specialized DVD copy programs are usually used to copy movies and other specialized or copy-protected formats. For standard file formats, either Windows Explorer move/copy or a freebie file copy software does all you need. If you scanned photos and documents and then burned to DVD, you have standard Windows files containing JPGs, PDFs, etc.

Arch Hoagland said:
I assume everybody is backing up their hard drive after they spend countless hours coping their DVD's to it.
Yeh, right.  Where do you stick 10TB of stuff?  Naw, I can find replacements for most on Netflix if necessary.

Thank you all for you help.  I'll check it out and get working.

BTW.  How do you add the stuff below your posts about you, your rigs etc.
thanks.
Jim

Jim Fitz said:

thanks.
Jim

Being a Linux user I just copy the DVD to my hard drive raw, making an ISO image that I can then either play as if it were a physical DVD or copy it to a blank DVD for use in a DVD player.

For the signature info below the posts, in the menu above go to "profile" > "forum profile" and fill out all the stuff on that page.

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile.

Jim Fitz said:

thanks.
Jim
I load one of these with movies and music.  That way I don't fill up my laptop drive.

Molaker said:
I use DVDFab ($49).  I have run into only one DVD it couldn't copy, but that was fixed in a new version which came out within days.

I use DVDFAB too, I have been for many years.  If it is a very newly released movie then sometimes it may require an update to handle the newest encryption but it never takes more than a couple days.  It also has the ability to let you copy just the movie and leave off all the previews and special features, subtitles, etc. or if you want any of that you can pick and choose what to keep.

Given that you can get a 64 GB USB3 flash drive for around $20, filling up a hard drive need not be a worry. And flash drives in standard formats make a great media for storing those scanned records you rarely ever need to view.

Fitz mentioned only scanned info, so not sure that the advice about copying movies or other canned videos is of much value. I use DVD Cloner for making copies of shows, but if the DVE is just a file repository, that's not the sort of tool to use.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Given that you can get a 64 GB USB3 flash drive for around $20, filling up a hard drive need not be a worry. And flash drives in standard formats make a great media for storing those scanned records you rarely ever need to view.

Fitz mentioned only scanned info, so not sure that the advice about copying movies or other canned videos is of much value. I use DVD Cloner for making copies of shows, but if the DVE is just a file repository, that's not the sort of tool to use.
The OP mentioned "800 DVDs" which I doubt is just photos and records.  That's why I suggested a movie ripper like DVDFab.

Back
Top Bottom