1985 Winnebago Chieftain, in-dash A/C not cold :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisamagoo

Our 85' Chieftain's dashboard A/C blows warm. For the first step, we want to try recharging the freon, but have no idea where the low-pressure valve is located. After an hour googling, I'm no closer to an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!  8)

There is a very good chance the high and low ports are on the compressor. If I remember correctly, you screw the stem of the valve out to close to hook up hoses. I always used a very small crescent wrench to turn stems. My 92 still has valves on the compressor, tho it does has a low side next to receivers/dryer. Because I have to hook hi side to the compressor, I hook the low side there also. Just as an aside, because mines r12, I use RedTek freon which will work with either r12 or r134. One can equals almost two cans of r12 when filling, don't ask me how. Can of RedTek in around here sells for about $7. I've ran it for years, no problems.

Welcome!  There's great odds that your compressor seals are gone and it will never hold Freon for very long and/or the drier/filter is plugged up.  First step though is to make sure the compressor clutch is actually engaging and turning the compressor.  If the clutch doesn't engage, you have no cold air  :-\.  Oh, the clutch is electrically operated and is most likely fused and the low/high pressure cutouts (switches) can cut power to the clutch to avoid damage if you have too low pressure or too high (IIRC.)

Thank you for the welcome! Yes the clutch is engaging. (I really appreciate the help as this is all new to me)

We still own a 1985 Lazy Daze 22 ft Class C. It is on a Chevy Chassis. The dash air was also warm. I decided to give it the hands on try knowing using R12 Freon could be a problem. I went on YouTube and watched as many clips on A/C recharging and then went on Ebay and bought what I needed to recharge the system. I bought a set of used gauges for R12 use and a couple cans of R12 Freon. I also bought a can of compresser oil and hooked things up. Bottom line is it worked and after spending around a hundred bucks I have cold air once again. Bummer is the LD just sits because we stepped up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom