tow truck reccomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aperry

Hey guys, I'm looking for some input on tow trucks for my 32ft jayco travel trailer, it has dual slides, it is a bunkhouse, I currently use my brand new 2016 crew cab 4x4 Ford F250 6.7, now of coarse it tows it like a dream, but I'm starting to regret the 900 dollar car payment, so ive been thinking of looking at half tons. my question is will a half ton pull the camper, I only pull it maybe 8 or 9 times a year, short trips, a couple hundred miles round trip, so I kinda hate having to have such a large daily driver because of this, so fire away at what you think I should do, keep the f250 or look at half ton's, I really like the new Toyota tundras, so let the comments rip away. thanks

There are some 1/2 ton trucks that will pull your 32' TT.

A F150 HD gas with its 8200 GVWR/4800 RAWR on older models or 7750 GVWR/4800 RAWR for the newer F150 HD will have no problems with a your TT.

GM 1500 trucks come with a NHT package with the  6.2 gas engine 7600 GVWR/4400 RAWR with a 12k tow rating. The 6.2 kicks out 420 hp and 460 ft lbs.

The 1500 Ram is still stuck in the '90s era with a puny 6950 GVWR and small 3900 RAWR.

I agree with RVRAC.  The ? ton MAY pull it, but...

This is the formula to check.
Find the CCC on the yellow sticker on the driver door B pillar of the proposed truck.
Add the weight of all passengers, pets and cargo in the truck when you go camping.  Add 80# for the hitch.  Add the TT tongue wt.  You may estimate TW as 12% of the TT GVWR.  If this is greater than the truck CCC,      IT WILL NOT WORK! 
Add together the truck GVWR and the TT GVWR.  Subtract the tongue weight (counted twice)  Is this less than GCWR?

This still does not address the long TT - big sail - light truck issue.

One cost of enjoying the great outdoors is having a big enough truck to get you there.  F150 nor Tundra are big enough.

Tires.

If for no other reason, the tires on a Super duty will make a world of difference when towing.  You will hate towing with a F-150 after a 250.

We took a few trips when I had a F150 and the tractor trailers would blow us all over the road. The 250 doesn't budge in comparison.

As Friz said, you already have the right truck.  I had a 1500 Chevy with Trailer Package, etc., and was not fun pulling a 27 ft. trailer, specially on the hill country or when semis went by.  Don't believe the dealer or web tell you, on the road things are different.  You had a nice truck already.

You had a nice truck already.

Yeah, but $900 payments aren't so nice. On the other had, it's not clear that swapping it for an adequate size F150 will reduce the payment all that much. He is gonna lose a bunch of money swapping a 2016 so soon, so may still end up with a big loan to service.

I would not be thrilled about towing a 32 ft trailer with a half ton - that's a lot of tail to wag for a smallish dog! The weight of the Jayco wasn't mentioned either, but todays F150's are often capable of pulling a lot of weight. Engine size probably isn't a concern, but suspension, tires, wheelbase, etc. all play a part and most F150's come up short on all of those when it comes to heavy hauling.

Gary, I understand $900 is a lot.  Personally, I have never paid that much for any truck.  However, if he is paying $900/month for that truck it is a sign he has very little or no equity in the truck. If he turns it in, he is upside down.  If he would be able to transfer the debt into the new truck, he is going to end up with similar payments.  In addition, he will lose safety factor.  Not worth it in MHO.

Im with Friz and RVAC 32 ft is too long for any 1/2 ton i,ve seen too many in the ditch with trailers 28 ft is max length the area 10ft x32ft is too large a flat surface and will push the truck around my wife pulls a 24ft boat with her 1/2 ton which coincidently pulled our 28ft TT untill we got the 3500 and because of the shape of the boat it handles very very different than the trailer at almost the same weight

I have read so many of these threads where a 1/2 ton gets blown around pulling a TT over 28' but not with a 3/4 ton. Does the wind differentiate and pick out the 1/2 tons to mess with? So what is being said a 36' X 10' TT does not move around because it is hooked to a 3/4 or 1 ton TV. I drove Tractor Trailers for many years in my younger days up to 48' weighing up to 80,000lbs and still got blown around in high winds and also being passed by other big rigs going much faster than I.
I have a 33' TT with a 1/2 ton TV and I am well within the trucks limit loaded and ready to travel verified with weighted scales and unless there are very high winds like we had in the East this past weekend have never had a problem. If I feel it is dangerous while driving I pull over and wait for things to settle down before heading out again.
I use the trailer mode on the transmission and coming down step mountains the transmission downshifts and keeps the speed under control without excess braking.

martin2340 said:
I have read so many of these threads where a 1/2 ton gets blown around pulling a TT over 28' but not with a 3/4 ton. Does the wind differentiate and pick out the 1/2 tons to mess with? So what is being said a 36' X 10' TT does not move around because it is hooked to a 3/4 or 1 ton TV. I drove Tractor Trailers for many years in my younger days up to 48' weighing up to 80,000lbs and still got blown around in high winds and also being passed by other big rigs going much faster than I.
I have a 33' TT with a 1/2 ton TV and I am well within the trucks limit loaded and ready to travel verified with weighted scales and unless there are very high winds like we had in the East this past weekend have never had a problem. If I feel it is dangerous while driving I pull over and wait for things to settle down before heading out again.
I use the trailer mode on the transmission and coming down step mountains the transmission downshifts and keeps the speed under control without excess braking.

I think its because of the weight of the tow vehicle my 1 ton diesel weights almost twice that of a 1/2 ton that is what is stopping the trailer from pushing it around and the fact most 2500 and 3500 trucks also have a larger fuel capacity adding to truck weight, if you have 33 ft trailer being pulled by a 1/2 ton i wantto know what your cargo capacity is on your truck what year model and make your truck is along with same hitch weight is on your trailer and make and model - because i highly doubt your within legal limits - now that doesnt mean you have had issues, maybe your just a better driver than average being a pro truck driver, which is why they impose limits, most recreational driver dont drive enough with a trailer to get the proper experience needed.

As an example only not picking on you Martin
Specs for a 2010 f150 state cargo capacity of 1400 - 2400 lbs and that trailer @ 1000 lbs empty so cargo capacity on that unit with 2 adults gear and hitch can get eaten up quite quickly if you have the wrong package

My 1/2 ton with heavy duty tow package is 1750 lbs 2 adults hitch 2 dogs , firewood etc etc boom i would be over

Another way to look at it....

My truck weighs roughly as much as my trailer.  If I had a half ton, my trailer would out weigh my truck by a significant margin.  It's much harder for the trailer to move something that weighs an extra 1800 lbs.  Towing with my new truck is night and day difference in comfort than even my older F250.  It also has a beefier frame and suspension, all of which adds up to more control over the load. 

I'm not a fan of marginal setups.  And IMHO, any half ton pulling a trailer that size (regardless of weight) is marginal at best.

Steveblonde,
My truck is listed in my signature but here goes the info any way. 2010 Ford F-150 5.4L 144" WB with max trailer tow package 3:93 rear end, 38 gallon fuel tank, SuperCrew Cab, 4X4, with Max tow capability of 11,200. Equal-I-zer 1,000 lb tongue weight, 65lb approximate weight, TT hitch weight states 998 lbs.I don't know if this the same as tongue weight? I don't carry fire wood nor do I usually carry anything in truck bed, but for safety sakes say 100lbs for rubber floor mat, and plastic bed cover. Wife and I weigh about 310 combined. Dog 7lbs. Snacks 5lbs.
We carry maybe 5 gallons of water in black tank and 5-10 in fresh at most.

Truck GVWR 7675- last weigh in with hitch attached ready for travel 6490
CCC 1910 as listed on yellow tag on driver door
TT verified dry weight from manufacture listed on outside of TT 7828- GVWR 9758
Scale weights without unhitching- TV 7590- TT 7640- combined 14960
TV CGWR- 17,100

martin2340 said:
Steveblonde,
My truck is listed in my signature but here goes the info any way. 2010 Ford F-150 5.4L 144" WB with max trailer tow package 3:93 rear end, 38 gallon fuel tank, SuperCrew Cab, 4X4, with Max tow capability of 11,200. Equal-I-zer 1,000 lb tongue weight, 65lb approximate weight, TT hitch weight states 998 lbs.I don't know if this the same as tongue weight? I don't carry fire wood nor do I usually carry anything in truck bed, but for safety sakes say 100lbs for rubber floor mat, and plastic bed cover. Wife and I weigh about 310 combined. Dog 7lbs. Snacks 5lbs.
We carry maybe 5 gallons of water in black tank and 5-10 in fresh at most.

Truck GVWR 7675- last weigh in with hitch attached ready for travel 6490
CCC 1910 as listed on yellow tag on driver door
TT verified dry weight from manufacture listed on outside of TT 7828- GVWR 9758
Scale weights without unhitching- TV 7590- TT 7640- combined 14960
TV CGWR- 17,100

Thanks Martin - this is a great example of how 2 people both driving 1/2 tons pulling 2 trailers can be the same and so different at the same time, you my friend are within your limits i on the other hand would be over
Me wife and 2 dogs at 100 lbs Each me 235 wife 150 = 585 hitch 75lbs firewood 100 lbs extra water jug 50 lbs tool box and tonneau cover 200 lbs = 910
Hitch now - it says 998 dry but loaded its more like 1200- 1400 lbs
All in all that puts me over

But

Here is the kicker you start with a higher payload capacity than myself how many people actually a) read that decal, b) are honest about the weights and junk they carry and c) actually add it all up

No 2 trucks are the same regardless of brand no 2 fords or gms or rams they all come with different packages

I agree on all of your points and I usually sit back and read knowing I am within correct limits and have never had a problem to this point, knock on wood, but I know some folks are scared away from doing their research after the first thread comes back stating" You need a 3/4 or 1 ton vehicle. I have been actively searching for a newer 250-350 Ford but prices are ridiculous for the type I am driving now. 58-60K gasser 66-68K for diesel. More than what I paid for my TV and TT combo 3 years ago. Plus DW wants to bump up to a Class A within the next 3 years. Retirement here we come. ;D

I agree that a properly equipped 1/2 ton is capable of towing up to its capacity.  However, there is no doubt that a 3/4 or 1 ton, especially a diesel is a much more enjoyable driving experience.

Having said that, if a person only occasionally pulls a trailer that is within the limits of a properly equipped 1/2 ton truck, I'd pull it with the 1/2 ton in a minute.  I've done it in the past with no problems.

I actually have both a 1/2 ton and a 1 ton deisel my wife drives the 1/2 ton as a daily driver and for me its the 1 ton and im a salesperson so its my daily work truck too, we both prefer the 1 ton yes its a touch rougher ride but it sits higher and the view is great and the deisel is so smooth my wifes is a 6.2 l gasser with a ton of power but that Duramax is so sweet

Having a brand new truck with payments you don't like is a tough situation... but a different issue than the RV towing question.  A 32-foot TT with double slides, exactly what I have, might be tough on a 1/2 ton pickup.  Newer trucks have higher pulling power numbers, but that doesn't mean they will have payload needed to properly support the truck's passengers + camping cargo + tongue weight of a heavy trailer.  You would just have to do your research and know what you're getting into, when those longer camping excursions DO come up.

I dislike being a slave to any bank and am ALWAYS a fan of buying/owning vehicles in cash with no loan whatsoever.  In that light, I'd say dump the new F-250 and buy something used that you can afford in cash to do what you need to do.  There are all kinds of used 3/4 ton vehicles that will pull your trailer fine.  I have one that is 21 years old and does a great job.

What did you buy (and why are you still considering) a brand new truck in the first place?  Not criticizing, just asking to get a better idea of your position.

Back
Top Bottom