EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: kayak, surfboards and bike racks  (Read 940 times)

malibu06

• ---
kayak, surfboards and bike racks
« on: April 11, 2016, 12:42:49 PM »
Hi all,

New to the forum here.  We are in the process of purchasing our first RV (Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R), and planning a cross-country trip this summer for 4-5 weeks. (me and my amazing wife and kids - and possibly the dog and cat).  Yes -we are crazy!

I've been looking at flat towing our Jeep Commander, and just strapping the surfboards on top of the Jeep, and putting our trailer hitch bike rack on the back of the Jeep.... unfortunately, after more research, found that our Jeep is not fit for dinghy towing.    So, looking at other options. 

Anyone familiar with any good rack options out there that would carry some boards and bikes - maybe vertically or something?

Thanks!
Matt
-----------------------------------------
2016 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

8Muddypaws

• ---
Re: kayak, surfboards and bike racks
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 07:01:14 PM »
I made my own rooftop racks out of pipe.  Carried 2 to 4 sailboards up there several thousand miles.  But after I built them I noticed the bars they use in public restrooms for handicapped access.  Like this one : http://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Traditional-36-in-Grab-Bar-in-Brushed-Stainless-K-10544-BS/203095878

if you put boards on top it's probably a good idea to remove the fins to minimize hight.

Bikes are another issue.  If you're going to carry the jeep in a dolly you could stick with the plan to put the bike carrier on the rear of the jeep, or on the roof.  Do you have a ladder in the rear?  I've got a bike carrier that hangs on the ladder but never use it because the tires stick out too far.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:10:39 PM by 8Muddypaws »
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

HueyPilotVN

• ---
Re: kayak, surfboards and bike racks
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:50:18 PM »
Welcome to the RV Forum.

I am a  Moderator on the Jeep Commander web site and I am curious about your statement on your Jeep Commander not being fit for flat towing.  Unless you have one of the two wheel drive Commanders, you should have no problems as long as your Motorhome has enought power to tow a slightly heavy Jeep.  I have two Commanders and have flat towed one of them for thousands of miles before I got my Stacker.

Just curious.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:55:58 PM by HueyPilotVN »
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
34' Stacker Trailer, Trailer Toad
Jeep Commander
Mustang Bracket Race Car
35 years on the road

Hosted by Over The Network