Air-Cooled VW owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool story Debra...Gotta love the VW vans!! Your poor motor was probably starving for oil because most girls hardly know how to put gas in the darn things...lol

Had a 63 that I hated from the day we bought it,  but my wife loved the thing. One of my better days was when she totalled it by rolling on Redstone Arsenal,  AL. No one hurt.

The crank stories remind me of how tough those early (over) designed engines were. I once bought a Dodge Ambulance (mash) that ran a little rough, but had these neat stickers ssying "Oklahoma Department of Mental Retardation". When I pulled the engine down, I found someone had sawed off the #6 piston rod, removed the piston and then driven it from West Texas to Dallas. No other apparent damage so I replaced the pistons, did valves and rings, and away I went. It was still running smoothly when I sold it 25 years later.

Ernie

My first new car was a 1968 with the auto shift transmission.  As I remember it was a 3 speed that could be shifted
or just put it in gear and go.  Remember lots of problems with ATF  blowing out the fill port.

MOLAKER;  Just a wag but was that picture taken on Pass Island between the two spans of Deception Pass bridge? 

Them old Dodges were pretty bullet proof too. I went through a Dart/Valiant stage in my life too. Didn't matter, slant 6 or 318, car could be a puddle of rust but it would still start. I used to commute a 125 miles a day. Found it more economical to buy a cheap beater with good bones and fix the laundry list of things the PO ignored until it was overwhelming.

Bill

Speaking of VW buses----

Attachments

• Bus in Yearbook_2.jpg
    Bus in Yearbook_2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Scott, Mary, Dave 6-76.jpg
    Scott, Mary, Dave 6-76.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 25
john owens said:
Cool story Debra...Gotta love the VW vans!! Your poor motor was probably starving for oil because most girls hardly know how to put gas in the darn things...lol

Hey there John, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here but for some reason I hadn't seen the reply.  And I just couldn't let this go!! LOL!
Actually back then I did my own oil changes, lubes, air filter replacement.  Even changed spark plugs occasionally  :) So I did know a little bit, haha!  However I don't know if I would have thought the cause of the problem would be low oil.  And too many years ago to remember now. 
Do cars still have those zerk grease fittings?  I think I've regressed, since now I just take the vehicle to the tire store for the oil change & tire rotation.
Debra

The only car my dad would drive back and forth to work was a VW Bug. Would drive it into the ground, then trade it in for a new one. Remember him buying something like 5 Bugs total. After high school in the 70's. I dated a girl who drove a Bug. My friends called her Volkswagen Cindy.

mypursuit said:
My first new car was a 1968 with the auto shift transmission.  As I remember it was a 3 speed that could be shifted
or just put it in gear and go.  Remember lots of problems with ATF  blowing out the fill port.

MOLAKER;  Just a wag but was that picture taken on Pass Island between the two spans of Deception Pass bridge?
Mypursuit: Sorry, I missed your note.  Yes, I believe that was on Pass Island.  I was stationed at NAS Whidbey Is. then.  I was attached to VAH-8.

I just returned from a rally at Lake Mead near the dam,,towing the BaJa.. On the return trip I was along side another diesel M/H towing a suburban on a trailer climbing Black Ridge pass between St. George and Cedar City when this guy took exception to me passing him. The smoke began rolling out of this guys exhaust and the race was on up the mountain.. At 80, I was comfortably ahead and realized that that BaJa was traveling faster that it had ever seen!!>>>Dan

Our daughter in law now wants one with chrome eyebrows and covered in decals but her hubby (my step son) at 6'6" can't get in it. LOL

That's unusual.  The air cooled VW bug had more headroom and legroom than most other cars of that vintage, and more than most modern cars.

Are you sure he had the seat slid back before he tried to get in?  The setting is different for a 5 ft. person vs someone who is 6' 6". :)

Lou Schneider said:
That's unusual.  The air cooled VW bug had more headroom and legroom than most other cars of that vintage, and more than most modern cars.

Are you sure he had the seat slid back before he tried to get in?  The setting is different for a 5 ft. person vs someone who is 6' 6". :)
Check out this VW TV ad that shows a 6'6" Basketball player getting in and driving an 1966 VW Beetle.

https://youtu.be/v8s4BAB5fEY

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom