Installing a Battery inside my camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkaufman

What do I need to know to install a battery just for my camper inside it.  Camper does have a small converter.  Can it also be charge through trailer connection and is there anything special I would need to do?

One thing to consider is if the battery is going to be inside the living area (not in an outside, vented compartment) you need to use an AGM or gel battery. Standard flooded batteries vent dangerous fumes.

Even though you plan on using a sealed battery, you really should use a sealed and vented battery box. Like this one. You'll need to drill a hole through the sidewall with a holesaw. It should be sealed with putty and a good quality exterior sealant like OSI-Quad.

The converter probably has lugs on it for a battery connection. You should use 10 gauge stranded wire and install a 30 amp in-line fuse at the battery. Since the truck camper doesn't really have a frame to ground to, you'll have to run both hot and ground back to the converter.

As far as the charge line, you probably won't find lugs for it at the converter. I would just wire that right to the battery with a second set of ring terminals (eyelets). If it has a standard 7 way plug/wire, you'll just need to access where this enters the camper and find the black wire (hot) and white wire (ground). If it's a different plug/wire, let me know what you find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom