A tale of 4 TTs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james000222

Greetings.

I posted in the intro forum, read the majority of the pertinent articles in your excellent library, and paged through some of the resources as well.

My main concern/questions relate to towing, hitches, sway control, braking, and weight distribution systems.

To repeat: my tow vehicle is a 2013 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L I-Force V8, with towing package. It's also a 4x4. I know I don't need that to tow, and that lowers the weight I can tow, but that's OK. Would rather have it if I need it on certain terrains and in weather. This tundra has factory sway control.

After a fairly rigorous few months of research, I'm currently looking at four different used TTs for purchase.

2014 K-Z Sportsmen 241RKS
2016 Keystone Hideout 212LHS
2016 Jayco Jay-Flight SLX 264BHW
2016 Coachmen Catalina 223FB

As I said in my intro - a lot has gone into these as a potential selection. But I'm open to other suggestions!
I wanted used, but not too used.
I wanted length, but not too long.
I wanted two axles, not one.

The main purpose of this TT is vacations - hopefully several per year, short hops to the lake, and longer trips to the mountains, mostly weekends but some week to two week trips.

So some of the things I read in the library related to hitches, sway, and WD. I just bought the truck last week, it does not have a hitch per se. No ball, just a place for one to attach. And wiring ports of course.

It sounds like when I pull away from the dealer with one of those TT's, I need the right hitch, and I am guessing the dealer who sells me the trailer will be the best bet to get the right hitch?

Do any of those TT's have built in sway control? From what I've read, having it on the truck is good, having it on the TT in addition is better. One of them has a sway package as an option. Why are these things not mandatory as critical safety features, I wonder?

Do the better sway control hitches have WD built in or is that another purchase? It looks built-in but just checking.

I've seen comments about over-priced sway control systems from dealers - the nicer ones online are $250 to $450.00 (Reese dual cam) that sound about right?

It looks like I need to match the sway control to the trailer - any recs for those listed above and/or the truck above?

When I buy the TT does it come with a braking system, or is that extra and/or up to me to figure out? Are there options here that are important? There's precious little in the feature list for these models on braking other than "self-adjusting electric brakes". That doesn't tell me if I have or need a control unit in the cab (I presume yes), but not sure I need to purchase separately.

Thanks!
James

james000222 said:
Greetings.

I posted in the intro forum, read the majority of the pertinent articles in your excellent library, and paged through some of the resources as well.

My main concern/questions relate to towing, hitches, sway control, braking, and weight distribution systems.

To repeat: my tow vehicle is a 2013 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L I-Force V8, with towing package. It's also a 4x4. I know I don't need that to tow, and that lowers the weight I can tow, but that's OK. Would rather have it if I need it on certain terrains and in weather. This tundra has factory sway control.

After a fairly rigorous few months of research, I'm currently looking at four different used TTs for purchase.

2014 K-Z Sportsmen 241RKS
2016 Keystone Hideout 212LHS
2016 Jayco Jay-Flight SLX 264BHW
2016 Coachmen Catalina 223FB

As I said in my intro - a lot has gone into these as a potential selection. But I'm open to other suggestions!
I wanted used, but not too used.
I wanted length, but not too long.
I wanted two axles, not one.

The main purpose of this TT is vacations - hopefully several per year, short hops to the lake, and longer trips to the mountains, mostly weekends but some week to two week trips.

So some of the things I read in the library related to hitches, sway, and WD. I just bought the truck last week, it does not have a hitch per se. No ball, just a place for one to attach. And wiring ports of course.

You won't be pulling your TT by a ball mounted to the bumper. You'll have to have the correct class of hitch and wiring installed. (you can do the wiring yourself...IF you know what you're doing.

It sounds like when I pull away from the dealer with one of those TT's, I need the right hitch, and I am guessing the dealer who sells me the trailer will be the best bet to get the right hitch?

Not necessarily.  There should be several places in your area that can sell and install the hitch for you...USUALLY at a much better price than the RV dealer. Shop around.

Do any of those TT's have built in sway control? From what I've read, having it on the truck is good, having it on the TT in addition is better. One of them has a sway package as an option. Why are these things not mandatory as critical safety features, I wonder?

It's been a couple of decades since I pulled a TT, but as I remember, the sway bar was  part of the hitch. Attached to the hitch at the ball assembly then to a part installed on the trailer tongue. (see image linked) I'm not familiar with a "sway package" installed on a TT,  unless there's some kind of upgraded anti-sway bar or track bar installed underneath

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af34/mach8274/DSC_00042.jpg

Do the better sway control hitches have WD built in or is that another purchase? It looks built-in but just checking.

Weight distribution hitches will help (only slightly) with sway control, but are USUALLY separate components  (again, see image linked above)

I've seen comments about over-priced sway control systems from dealers - the nicer ones online are $250 to $450.00 (Reese dual cam) that sound about right?

EVERYTHING "RV" is over-priced...sway control set-ups, weight distribution hitches, receiver hitches...everything. You'll likely be into a hitch set-up well over $1000...maybe closer to $2000 before you're ready to tow. Camping World has the Reese sway bar set-ups for about $60 each...and depending on the size and weight of the trailer, you may need one...or two.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/sway-control-left/42236
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/sway-control-right/42235

http://www.campingworld.com/category/weight-distribution-hitches/1406

It looks like I need to match the sway control to the trailer - any recs for those listed above and/or the truck above?

See above

When I buy the TT does it come with a braking system, or is that extra and/or up to me to figure out? Are there options here that are important? There's precious little in the feature list for these models on braking other than "self-adjusting electric brakes". That doesn't tell me if I have or need a control unit in the cab (I presume yes), but not sure I need to purchase separately.

MOST travel trailers will have electric brakes...but you'll need to buy a brake controller and install it.

http://www.autozone.com/trailer-wiring-and-electrical/trailer-brake-control

Thanks!
James

(Please note...I linked to Camping World for convenience, not because they're always the best place to shop. Shop around...Amazon is a good place for RV parts and supplies, once you know what you need, as is PPLmotorhomes.com)

Thanks so much! That helps a lot. A few follow-up questions:

First the sway package is from Jayco: http://www.jayco.com/sway-command/

1. Does anyone have any experience with that package?

2. WRT the sway control left and right arms - I see WD/sway packages with only one sway arm. Are both better? Shipping weight is 4300-4500, tongue weight is 490-560, and gvwr is 6000-7200 across all four trailer options.

3. Do I need to worry about hitch height? My truck isn't jacked up at all, but is definitely taller than my older truck. I don't see a lot of height adjustment in the images of the hitches.

4. What wiring needs to be installed - my truck has a tow package - I thought all that would be installed as a component of that package?

Thanks!

James

james000222 said:
Thanks so much! That helps a lot. A few follow-up questions:

2. WRT the sway control left and right arms - I see WD/sway packages with only one sway arm. Are both better? Shipping weight is 4300-4500, tongue weight is 490-560, and gvwr is 6000-7200 across all four trailer options.

3. Do I need to worry about hitch height? My truck isn't jacked up at all, but is definitely taller than my older truck. I don't see a lot of height adjustment in the images of the hitches.

4. What wiring needs to be installed - my truck has a tow package - I thought all that would be installed as a component of that package?

Thanks!

James

1. I don't, but I think electronic sway control is going to become a lot more popular over the next several years.

2. Dunno

3. Most every WDH I've seen has an adjustable shank and you can order shanks with larger drops for whatever WDH you end up with (like these)

4. You'll need a 7 pole round 'RV plug' like this

It's a new product introduced in 2015 and few trailers have it installed (Jayco started in January of this year). No real user experience available yet.

One arm?  A WD hitch has two arms but they are for the weight-distributing function, not sway. However, in the better hitch designs  (Eqaul-I-Zer, Reese Dual Cam) the anchor for the WD arms also provides the friction for anti-sway. Other WD hitches use a separate adjustable friction device (basically a brake pad) mounted to a small side ball adjacent to the WD sockets on the hitch.

Yes, you want it to tow level, with both truck and trailer parallel to the road surface.  The better ball mounts are height adjustable and you need one with sufficient adjustment so your trailer can be leveled out. If in doubt, opt for a ball mount with a broad adjustment range. Besides, you might change truck or trailer in the future and want to use the ball mount with that as well.

Your truck probably has wiring for a standard 7-pin trailer plug, and pre-wiring for a brake controller (you add the controller itself, but the wiring is in place. Verify that with Toyota or a hitch shop.

And on your earlier questions:

You have it backwards. The hitch is designed to provide weight distribution, i.e. shift some of the trailer tongue weight forward to the front axle of the truck. That's a necessity for any good-sized trailer because the tongue weight exceed what the truck can carry directly on the hitch, far back behind the axle.  Better hitches have sway control in addition to the WD function. The Reese Dual Cam and the Equal-i-zer brand are two examples. The E2 is another.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Yes, you want it to tow level, with both truck and trailer parallel to the road surface.  The better ball mounts are height adjustable and you need one with sufficient adjustment so your trailer can be leveled out. If in doubt, opt for a ball mount with a broad adjustment range. Besides, you might change truck or trailer in the future and want to use the ball mount with that as well.

That's good advise right there. I am in that same situation. I have a shank that provides limited drop and have changed tow vehicles. The ball is now starting out 3 1/2" higher than it should be. With that happening, I can't get my hitch adjusted correctly. Starting so high, I can't load the spring bars enough to take advantage of the sway control effect without nose diving my truck. I pulled about 5 miles each way two weekends ago in fairly high winds (gusts 35mph). It wasn't very pleasant. Coming back, I left my gray tanks full to get more tongue weight and that helped, but still not good. Can't wait to get the longer shank here.

Thanks so much for all of the input - very very helpful!

I can't find a standard hitch height specification on any of the four trailers. Online, I've seen "there is no standard trailer hitch height", "it depends on hitch weight", and "probably about 17 inches". Guess I'll just measure carefully!  :)

Look at the directions for the hitch. They specify a certain height at the top of the ball as compared to the top of the trailer coupler when the trailer is sitting level.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom