driving through NYC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan Harvey

we will travelling from Mass. to Liberty RV in Jersey City. What is the best, easiest route to take with a 5th wheel?

I84 to I684 to I287 to I 78  to Libety Park. There are other ways but I think this is the best. Stay away from I95 too much traffic. GWB and CBE George Washington Bridge and Cross Bronx Expressway.

Lived in new York  and NJ for 30 years. I agree that's the best route.  Keeps you off 95.  The dreaded cross bronks express and the out outrageous toll on the gwb.
I also recommend you top off your fuel tank in northern nj befor you hit 78 it's all NYC Suburbia after that point.
Only thing I can add to the route is 287 to rt 24 then rt 78..... take it easy and try to avoid rush hour 7am to 10am. And 3pm to 7pm Monday to Friday

robertusa123 said:
Lived in new York  and NJ for 30 years. I agree that's the best route.  Keeps you off 95.  The dreaded cross bronks express and the out outrageous toll on the gwb.

The OP is coming from Massachusetts.  There's no toll for westbound traffic on the George Washington Bridge.

Trivet said:
The OP is coming from Massachusetts.  There's no toll for westbound traffic on the George Washington Bridge.

Going north on GWB, pulling our fifth wheel with a 1 ton dually , it cost me $60.00 in tolls and the road was terrible.

Rene T said:
Going north on GWB, pulling our fifth wheel with a 1 ton dually , it cost me $60.00 in tolls and the road was terrible.
So you were going westbound?
Just want to know because I am making a trip to Maine in September and that was my route home.
Thanks Joe

jj lynn said:
So you were going westbound?
Just want to know because I am making a trip to Maine in September and that was my route home.
Thanks Joe

No like I said I was going North.  I-95 runs north and south.

TRIVET was wrong when he/she mentioned westbound traffic.

That's always confusing. Traffic on I-95 going from New York to New Jersey is technically southbound even though it's actually heading west-northwest on the bridge.

To answer your question, Joe, if you're crossing the bridge coming from Maine (or Massachusetts in the case of the OP), there won't be a toll.  We did it on a weekday afternoon and the traffic approaching the bridge was stop and go, but I don't really mind that in such congested areas because I find it less stressful than jockeying among fast-moving trucks and cars.  It's a real nightmare of transportation infrastructure around there--railroad tracks, highways, bridge supports, concrete barriers.

Since the Hudson River flows north to south, bridges span it east and west. Some of those routes are numbered as north/south, such as I-95 and I-287. Others are numbered as east/west, such as I-84 and I-90.

In any event, I wouldn't drive through NYC or take the GWB with an RV on a bet.

HappyWanderer said:
In any event, I wouldn't drive through NYC or take the GWB with an RV on a bet.

Why not?  I'm in a 40-foot motorhome with toad and it wasn't the most pleasant experience in the world, but I'd do it again, especially if I'm going in the free direction.

Trivet said:
Why not?  I'm in a 40-foot motorhome with toad and it wasn't the most pleasant experience in the world, but I'd do it again, especially if I'm going in the free direction.

The reason I don't do it anymore is the condition of the roads. I'd get a smoother ride if I toad my 5vr through the woods.

There are simply better routes without the hassle of driving on I-95 through NJ, NY and CT.

I even avoid it while on the road for work, traveling on the company's dime.

When I head south I do go over the GWB but I get off 95 at 287 towards the Tapan Zee and get on 87 South towards the city, it dumps you right at the bridge and 87 is nice smooth road not at all like the Cross Bronx. That is only going south because as Rene says the toll North is $$$.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom