Don't read my signature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Albertafam

(Ok, you can read it. And I think it's ok. But if not this may be a bit of a closing the barn door after the horses left situation, so please don't think me too foolish. We got the trailer in a deal that I can still unwind or sell easily without taking a hit.)

How much travel trailer can my truck tow?  What would end up being the limiting factor in a travel trailer similar to, say... oh I don't know, the one in my signature?

Truck pillar sticker says:
GVWR 7650
Payload 1589
Front GAWR 3750
Rear GAWR 4050

Supercrew with short box, so the 145" wheelbase. It has Max Tow and 3.73 gears. I've confirmed the ratio in my paperwork and using the code on the door sticker.

After market spray in box-liner & mud flaps. not sure how much that adds. 50 lbs?  The 4 passengers and small dog going in the truck weigh 440 lbs.

The trailer's GVWR is 7675, tongue weight is 675. Dry weight is around 6000.

Can't tell from that info. You need either the trucks tow rating or its GCWR (Gross COMBINED Weight Rating).

Or give the truck year/make/model and other details and we can look it up. Or you can look it up at http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

It's a 2013 F150 FX4. 

Hmm maybe I don't understand as much as I thought I did :S
I wasn't worried about being within the tow rating and GCWR, as they're around 12k and 17k lbs respectively. I'll find the exact number and post again. I was convinced I was well within them and the limiting factor would be something else.  If anything I thought that the rear GAWR or payload could present a problem with this particular pairing, not the GCWR or tow rating.

Two conditions must be met.

Do not exceed truck CCC

Do not exceed truck GCWR

For the first,  440# passengers + 50# accessories + 80# hitch + 800# tongue wt  =  1370#  Truck CCC = 1589    PASS
Dry tongue wt is 675#, but loaded TW ready to travel will be much closer to 800#

Now, your GCW will be 7450#  (7650# GVWR - 200# excess CCC) + 7675#  TT GVWR  - 800# TW (counted in both TT GVWR and  truck GVW)  = 14,325#  IF your GCWR is greater than 14,325#, you are good.

You replied while I typed.  The published ratings for towing capacity are garbage used for advertising.  They assume a base truck with few options, a 150# driver, no cargo and minimum tongue wt.

I assume from your post that the Payload was from the yellow sticker on the driver door B pillar.  That number is for YOUR truck.  I also assume there is no other cargo in the truck.  If so, you know how the do the math. 

You are so far ahead of the curve with your estimates for accessory weights and family weights.

The GCWR is a good number for any trim.  The weight differences in trims are included in the truck GVW.

Thanks! I didn't realize that tongue weight on the sticker was unloaded.

grashley said:
Two conditions must be met.

Do not exceed truck CCC

Do not exceed truck GCWR

For the first,  440# passengers + 50# accessories + 80# hitch + 800# tongue wt  =  1370#  Truck CCC = 1589    PASS
Dry tongue wt is 675#, but loaded TW ready to travel will be much closer to 800#

Now, your GCW will be 7450#  (7650# GVWR - 200# excess CCC) + 7675#  TT GVWR  - 800# TW (counted in both TT GVWR and  truck GVW)  = 14,325#  IF your GCWR is greater than 14,325#, you are good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom