6 months full timing and 10 things I learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arctic_fox

So I officially hit my 6 month mark as a full timer in the wonderful state of north dakota a couple days ago and figured I would share what I have learned for anyone else considering full timing when totally new to R.Vs, New as in never even seen one up close before starting to shop for one AND considering spending the winter in a cold (understatement) place, For both educational and humorous purposes of course.

First a little background on my trailer, Said trailer is an 18 foot echo bandit that has been gutted and totally customised front to back before I even bought it by a very handy family friend, It has a full size fridge and freezer as well as a washer/dryer combo in it ontop of the r.v fridge and a new bed and small desk installed, It had a hole drilled under the bed for a 10,000 btu heater pulled from a class a moterhome and ducted under the r.v custom, it also has custom made and fitted Kevlar skirts, Now that the required details are out of the way I'll start to share.

First thing I learned is no matter how many guides you read online NOTHING prepares you for owning your own R.V, it will ALWAYS have a unique problem you must figure out on your own.

Second thing I learned is when attaching a water hose the knob on the trailer does not need to be as tight as can be, If you over tighten this odds are apparently quite good you will break the pipe behind the wall and flood your trailer and get to figure out how to take apart your bathroom to fix it.

Third thing I learned is that it is a very bad idea to lean a shoulder against the R.V when jacking it up, they seem to like to fall sideways off said jacks and blow all 4 tires when they hit the ground.

Fourth thing I learned is rabbits can and do enjoy chewing through Kevlar and plywood to get at the apparently tasty propane hoses and wireing under the trailer, they also like to chew through wire mesh to get into the heater duct

Fifth thing I learned is that it is a very unpleasant thing to clean an electrocuted and burned rabbit out of wireing so you can fix said wireing and minor fire damage resulting from the chewed propane hose and sparks.

Sixth thing I learned is when its -50 and blowing hard outside even cracking a roof vent so you can shower results in said roof vent cracking in a way that was entirely unplanned.

Seventh thing I learned is that a heated water hose even one in insulation may keep the water in the hose fluid but it will still freeze up at both the heated park pipe where it connects AND at the point where it goes into the r.v, it will then detect this and automatically shut off apparently while you go to Walmart for a blow dryer and freeze solid.

Eighth thing I learned is 20 hand warmers stuffed into the water line insulation work better to thaw it then a blow dryer ever will even if your neighbors are falling over laughing at you.

Ninth thing I learned is if your going to get a large propane tank for your trailer that needs to be filled twice a month make sure you can lift it on your own EASILY, trying to wrestle a 100 pound tanks in and out of a pickup in the middle of a snowstorm standing on ice when it's -50 is not very fun.

Tenth thing I learned is if you go on vacation without your trailer for any reason but live in it full time make sure to clean out your fridge before you go, the smell of rotting vegetables when you open the fridge takes months to go away

Last thing I learned is full time r.ving is worth every headache that comes with it and it's going to be very hard for me to ever change lifestyles and that I'm lucky to have figured it out as young as I did, and that I'm doubly lucky my dad made sure I'm handy with tools.

Hope you guys enjoyed my experience so far with being a full timer new to the concept and got a good laugh out of it.

Probly a wise idea but I like it here :p besides have a good job driving a dump truck and aside from water line issues and rabbits it's not that bad.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25843/hasenpfeffer-rabbit-stew/

Nuff said

Arctic_fox said:
Third thing I learned is that it is a very bad idea to lean a shoulder against the R.V when jacking it up, they seem to like to fall sideways off said jacks and blow all 4 tires when they hit the ground.

How high was the trailer for all four tires to blow?

Thanks I needed a laugh. Would like to see an few pictures of this trailer. It sounds nice

Cant wait for the next 10 things you learn. 

Thanks and take care.

wow!

Attachments

• monkey.jpg
    monkey.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 72
  • monkey.jpg
    monkey.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 43
Your 10 learned lessons have just reinforced my thought that the most important thing about owning and living in an RV is a good attitude.  Sounds like you are at the top of the list.
Thanks for  a well written story.

Betty Brewer said:
Your 10 learned lessons have just reinforced my thought that the most important thing about owning and living in an RV is a good attitude.  Sounds like you are at the top of the list.
Thanks for  a well written story.

Beat me to it, my thought exactly.  Enjoyed your story, especially since we are planning to full time, though not anywhere near where it is as cold.

Thank you for some good laughs!  I had to read it to my husband when he heard me laughing about the rabbit.  No one ever said RVing was easy, but it sure helps to have a sense of humor.  Well written and I too will wait for the next 10 things you learn.  ::) ;)

ArdraF

Rene T said:
How high was the trailer for all four tires to blow?
Considering the amount of snow they get probably pretty high.  First time I was there, fortunately in the summer, I asked why they had those gates going across the on ramps.  :-\ The answer was that they have to shut down the highways because of the snow and drifting. Brrrrrr.

Nice write-up. 

"You've got to learn from the mistakes of others... GOD knows you don't have enough time to make them all yourself!"

The above statement is part of my signature here on the forum...  8)  The 11 humorus (to those of us who read them) mistakes are very informative. And true to the statement I've learned that rabbits chew through wire and like propane, something I didn't know.  :-[

One thing though, I'm pretty sure I learned early on was when it's -50... it's time to find a warmer clime!  ::)

Funny story thanx for sharing!  and stay warm...  ;D

Keith

Post 12 to post 13 went from April to August. Older thread but good stuff.

I just happened to stumble in to this thread and will join the rest that are appreciative of the insight.

As to the height of the trailer - what was the pressure in the tires?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom