Pros/Cons Rockwood 232XR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Menace

First off, this is my first post on the forum. Been lurking around for a little while as I have done some research on here for the upcoming purchase. The wife and I have decided to buy a pop-up for the family which includes (1) 10 year old boy and (3) girls ranging from 2-6 years old. We are looking at a pop-up because this is a new adventure for us and we want to keep the ownership cost down for now until we determine if more expense might be worth it. Anyway I have found a 2008 Rockwood 232XR that appears to be in pretty good shape and is a fair price "I think." It has the sleeping capacity we would need as well. We will be pulling it with a Chrysler Town & Country (Tow capacity 3600lbs) I know this camper can push to around 3800lbs when fully loaded but we would just have to try and keep her a bit lighter.

Wanted to know if there are any items to look out for with this unit or pop-ups in general other then the canvass and other obvious issues like non-working items in the camper. Thanks in advance for your replies.......

If the canvas is good, the top goes up and down, and it doesn't smell musty, you are probably good. The AC, stove, heater (if equipped), and refrigerator should be easy to check. You will have to watch the weight. Remember the kids do nothing but get bigger!

It sounds like it might be a bit too big for your tow vehicle.... @ 3800#
but I'm not familiar with that model or with your van.
It seems very hard to keep weight down... at least it is/was for us.
and it would be really easy to let the tongue weight get high quick with that nice flatbed up front like that.

That being said, we liked our Rockwood popup, until we tired of the work needed to set-up and take down.  It wasn't so much the actual pulling out of the bunks and cranking the roof up and down.... it was all of the dragging stuff in and out and in again.
such as the fridge as an example.
My fridge was not accessible with the roof down. So we ended up hauling the food in a cooler in a truck, that would then get transferred at least in part to the pup once set up.  Then  anything left at the end would have to go back to the cooler and back to the truck.
It was this way with a lot of stuff since mine didn't have a lot of inside storage

but to answer your question.... yep, smell for mold, look for leaks.  (roof leaks are a sign of trouble in pups).  You can tell if its well cared for and if it's clean or not pretty easily.
The biggest variable to look for is does the floor plan fit your family?  there's a lot of gut feel and opinion there...
spend some time sitting in it with the whole family and imagine holing up in there for a rainy afternoon. is there enough seating? etc....

Back
Top Bottom