What's worse than playing a funeral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

Playing one where they haven't given you the music selections until you arrive.

When you finally get the selections you only know one of them.

Your microphone doesn't work.

Two of the hottest local guitarists you know are there, sitting right up front.

No pressure.......

Someone obviously thinks you're pretty good.  Regarding the other guys, (a) they're not there to hear you play and (b) they may think you're the hottest local guitarists. 

I doubt that Gary.  I've known both for over 30 years and they are in an entirely different league.  Seasoned professionals both.

Tom,

I already thought of that.  The deceased was also a musician who was called on to play funerals every so often.  She didn't like them either.  :)

rickst29 said:
Playing a wedding.
With Pachelbel's Cannon. (Again?  :mad:)

Funerals, weddings ... different sides of the same coin.  Personally, I love when the wedding party asks the stuff off the of "standard" wedding fare.  My $$ per hour goes thru the roof on those!  It take zero effort to prepare for - and I don't work cheap.  I have to earn my keep when the wedding party asks for some a keyboard rendition of obscure pop tune that isn't a piano (or organ) tune to begin with.  It can take a bit of effort to put together a rendition that stays true to the spirit of the song and still "fits" the venue and ambience of the occasion.  Pachelbel's Cannon can be played while sleeping!

If your doing weddings and funerals ... the only question that matters is "what does the gig pay?". 

On a different track. My wife is a vocalist, and while she often works weddings professionally,  she is usually requested for family funerals.  On one occasion I recall her grandfather's favorite song was Rock of Ages.  It was literally years before she could sing that song again. Maybe family funerals are worse?

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom