Where to stay Fulltiming in Colorado during the summer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomAndRae

Help! My husband and I are plunging into full time RV living (finally!) and we're selling our home in the Denver area. We need to stick around in the Denver/Boulder/Golden area until at least November but we're having a difficult time finding availability at any of the RV parks we call. Does anyone know of any hidden gems that we can contact and try?

Also, how far out does everyone reserve their space when you're moving from one state to the next? We're planning on taking off to NC at the beginning of November and then back to CO in February and I really want to avoid this "stress" moving forward.  :)

Thanks!

The one that comes to mind is the Flying Saucer Park on 285 (Hampden) in Littleton.
There are a couple in Aurora off Colfax,  but I would not stay there.

As for reservations, travelling at that time of year, the problem you will have is finding parks that are still open. All I recommend is, plan where you will stop for the night and call ahead. We have never made reservations. We travel during the week, not week ends or holidays.

Have you thought how cold that RV will be in Denver in February?

We started our full time journey from Littleton five years ago.

Thank you! I gave them a call and was told they wouldn't know until the day I wanted to check in.  Not super helpful if I'm trying to plan ahead but definitely will give them a try when we're ready for an adventure!

I'm not sure that there are "hidden gems" in the RV Park industry, especially around Denver during the high season.

I'd check the KOAs and the state parks, but the ones  I know best are up in the mountains and in Loveland and Ft. Collins.

How about the Jefferson County Fairgrounds, which, I think is off 6th Ave. It may have a Golden Address. Our Columbines Winnebago club has rallied there, but we missed those rallies so I don't know much about the place.

Good luck.

Most likely you will have to jump around a bit to enable staying here the entire summer. Most campgrounds are full way in advance of late spring. Colorado is surely a great vacation spot and as such draws many folks with RV's. You can stay in the National Forests free for 14 days at a time. Of course that's boondocking. RV parks are everywhere along the front range and many in the mountain towns. Best bet is to do some checking and start planing on what park has openings when. I doubt you will be able to find a single campground for the entire season.

You sound vexed by Flying Saucer's first-come first-served policy, but places like that can be mighty handy.  Once you're in, you're in, and nobody's going to be able to reserve your space out from under you.  But of course you have to get in in the first place.

Right by Flying Saucer is South Park Mobile Home Park, which has RV sites if you're at least 55 years old and don't have a dog.  I don't have any personal experience with it.

Sometimes mobile home parks have spaces available for RVs but don't advertise them.  Since you're in the area, you can check them out in person, and I'd definitely suggest that--some can be pretty awful.

Prospect RV Park in Wheat Ridge has a few monthly sites and they're open year-round.  Sites are limited to 30 amps; the 50-amp plugs have dogbones installed to limit them to 30 amps.

Dakota Ridge RV Park in Golden is open year-round and doesn't have a stay limit, but they don't offer a monthly rate in the summer and the daily/weekly rate is really going to add up.  Clear Creek RV Park in Golden is kind of a hidden gem, but they have a 14-day limit in the summer (but have monthly rates October-April).

The Jefferson County Fairgrounds doesn't have full hookup sites, which I assume you want.  Same for the fairgrounds in Longmont.  State parks have a 14-day limit.  But you might be able to stage in one of those while waiting for something at Flying Saucer.

Trivet said:
You sound vexed by Flying Saucer's first-come first-served policy, but places like that can be mighty handy.  Once you're in, you're in, and nobody's going to be able to reserve your space out from under you.  But of course you have to get in in the first place.

Right by Flying Saucer is South Park Mobile Home Park, which has RV sites if you're at least 55 years old and don't have a dog.  I don't have any personal experience with it.

Sometimes mobile home parks have spaces available for RVs but don't advertise them.  Since you're in the area, you can check them out in person, and I'd definitely suggest that--some can be pretty awful.

Prospect RV Park in Wheat Ridge has a few monthly sites and they're open year-round.  Sites are limited to 30 amps; the 50-amp plugs have dogbones installed to limit them to 30 amps.

Dakota Ridge RV Park in Golden is open year-round and doesn't have a stay limit, but they don't offer a monthly rate in the summer and the daily/weekly rate is really going to add up.  Clear Creek RV Park in Golden is kind of a hidden gem, but they have a 14-day limit in the summer (but have monthly rates October-April).

The Jefferson County Fairgrounds doesn't have full hookup sites, which I assume you want.  Same for the fairgrounds in Longmont.  State parks have a 14-day limit.  But you might be able to stage in one of those while waiting for something at Flying Saucer.

Good point!  We've gone ahead and made some reservations at state parks, JeffCo Fairgrounds and then we have a spot reserved at Cottonwood RV Park in Idaho Springs in August which will be monthly.  But I think you're right; I'll definitely be trying to see if I can get in to Flying Saucer and then cancel all the other reservations if we get in.  Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom