Too Busy To Push That Button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DearMissMermaid

There I was poking down the 3 lane interstate in the far right lane at 64 miles per hour in my ancient Class C with the old fashioned (but functional) manual steps tucked away when a mega Class A came up on my bumper at such a rapid rate, I could count the bugs on his windshield just before he suddenly swerved then floored it to pass me. *Cough cough cough*

I thought maybe his accelerator was stuck cause he flew past me with such force followed by another Class A hot on his tail that the windage they produced nearly sent me off into the wild blue yonder of never never land.

I managed to snap this picture cause both were zipping down the interstate with their boarding steps fully stuck out while they weaved in and out and around other vehicles. The picture captures them coming from the left lane back to the middle lane again.

I guess they were in such a big bodacious hurry, there just wasn't time to push that little button to retract those steps.

Here is a picture I managed to snap after thanking the powers to be for sparing my life. The quality isn't that great because they were so far ahead of me when I took this and cropped it down to show the steps out. They continued to whip around traffic faster than a fire truck late to a fire.

I wasn't sure whether to be impressed, relieved or awed. I was just glad they were rapidly getting far away from me cause I don't fancy a wreck over such craziness.

Attachments

• Insanity.jpg
    Insanity.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 379
There generally isn't a button.  Usually it is a switch that will turn on and off the function that makes the step open and close when the door opens and closes.  Regardless, with the ignition on and the door closed, the steps should automatically retract.  It would appear that the switch or the door sensor is broken or has a loose connection.  Mine had a bad door sensor which would cause the steps to extend and retract while going down the road.

;) Worked for the owner of a company like this! He drove about 1250 miles with speeds up to 80-MPH. When he pulled in with his 40' MH and a 32' trailer loaded with his SUV; his sons' crotch rocket; and supplies I noticed a low tire on the trailer. rated for 65 PSI; the 1st had 16#s; 2nd-35; 3rd- 40 and last 55. I asked him if he checked the tires; said no as he just bought the trailer new. After this he made sure to have someone check tire pressures on all units he drove. Didn't stop him from his 80mph speed however??
  The media tells us about how safe our vehicles are; that most don't realize just how dangerous vehicles can be!! When I was RVing and even my other vehicles get checked daily. ;D

These look like similar vehicles possibly same manufacturer but different models.  Possibly factory delivery to dealers?  Still would not explain steps.

When looking for Class A or C some had a switch to keep the steps out all the time or they would cycle everytime the door is opened. Figure the wing-man would warn his friend.  They must be Florida drivers.

Even if they forget the button the system is designed so if the IGNITION is on and the Door is closed, in they are SUPPOSED to come.

HOWEVER... Kwikee has a current sensor.. if the voltage goes down the current goes up.

So if you climb into the driver's seat, with the door closed, and turn the key, as I usually do, all the way to start.

The controller gets the "BZring 'em in" signal then it senses the current increase caused by the drop in voltage and then.......

It stops retracting.. I'd love to put a short "Delay" on that interlock line so it works when you turn to start.

Or you can turn to ON, count 10, wait for the engine computer to finish it's self diagonstics, THEN start.

Was not me, as a matter of fact, you may could have passed me

I suspect the guy following behind was trying to get the guy in front's attention to tell him his steps were out.  The OP's responsibility was to pick up speed and catch the 2nd guy to tell him HIS steps were out. :)  DearMissMermaid obviously failed in her job.  To top it off, she was using her cellphone while driving 64 MPH. :eek:

So what is more dangerous driving at high speeds or driving distracted while taking a picture? sort of the pot calling the kettle black don't ya think/

Curiosity said:
When looking for Class A or C some had a switch to keep the steps out all the time or they would cycle everytime the door is opened. Figure the wing-man would warn his friend.  They must be Florida drivers.

If they were Florida drivers I would bet they were visitors

I bet those drivers were in a hurry to get to Camping World before it closed to get their stairs fixed so they will retract properly.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

Cheap Fuel, in a hurry, 500 hp, 1200 lbs of torque, and no time to keep everything working????????????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom