As an Uber-Liberal Lefty, Would I Be Welcome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petuunia

Hi everyone,
I'm not an RVer yet, but am so drawn to the idea. One thing I worry about is that so many people seem to be politically conservative. I have one close friend who is, too, but generally, my life is about folks who are very liberal. I love people in general, believe deeply in the Golden Rule (but am agnostic), and treat others with respect and consideration. Raised right. But...out in RV land...would I be welcome? I read a lot of blogs snarking about government, our president, this or that...and cringe. I'm not afraid to share my views or listen respectfully to others' -- but I wonder if I'd wind up feeling isolated in the RV community.

Any among you who could reassure me? I seek independence but not isolation, so if you have any wisdom I would welcome it. Thank you!

In most of the RV gatherings we have been to, politics is seldom discussed.  However, the conversation is more likely end up being about black or gray tank issues.  :)

I have been RVing all my life and a full timer for ten years and never have I had an RVer want to start a political discussion.  Occasionally you will see some idiot attempt a political discussion on this forum but they are stamped out quickly since politics is not allowed to be discussed on this board.  Now the best brand of toilet paper is a hot button topic for discussion.

Hoo-boy, and I am totally ignorant about that! Thanks, Paul and Anne, for your friendly comment. Hope I'll meet you one day!

Seilerbird, I think I should ponder your slogan...that sounds like one answer to my worry! Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.  Most of us are here to share ideas and help people enjoy the RV life.  I myself am more conservative but I try to avoid political discussions due to the fallout that can occur.  My experiences at campgrounds are that the people are friendly and politics is not usually brought up.

petuunia said:
Seilerbird, I think I should ponder your slogan...that sounds like one answer to my worry! Thank you.
The opinions I am talking about are which campgrounds are the best, what is the best camera, which National Parks are best, which is better gas or diesel and things that actually get discussed here. It has nothing to do with politics. You simply can't get me into a political discussion and if you did I would lie about my opinions. I have several very good friends who I know are on the opposite side of my beliefs and we never even bother to talk political. Discussing politics is stupid. You can't change anyone's mind and no one can change yours. It is futile. There is a saying I read on Facebook. "I saved me a bunch of money on Christmas presents this year. I discussed politics with my friends of Facebook. BTW we also do not allow discussions about guns or religion here either. However gas vs diesel is fair game and has been beaten to death.

petuunia said:
The whole reason for my slogan is because several times people have attacked me and told me that the opinion I was stating was merely an opinion. Well duh.... What else would I be stating? I can't speak for anyone else.

That's one of the great things about this place. Politics is verbotten here.

As long as you keep your particular political views in the closet where they belong...no one will ever know which way you swing.

Hi petuunia and welcome aboard. As others have said, we discourage political discussions because they usually end up in the toilet. Here's the relevant paragraph from our forum rules that we all accepted when joining the forum:

Political and Religious Ranting
Political and religious rants can lead to some ugly discussions and arguments, even among otherwise polite and friendly people. Over the years, RV Forum members have expressed a desire to avoid these kinds of discussions in our forum, preferring to maintain harmony. So, please post your political and religious views elsewhere such as one of the many alternative venues that cater to such discussions.

As a general rule you are correct that senior RVrs are more conservative than liberal in their political leanings.  There are some who from time to time try to emphatically express their views into a string, often totally off topic.  The moderators do a good job of warning the offenders, then if necessary removing any offencive comments.
    Notwithstanding the above, there are a lot of "liberal" leaning RVrs too, many frequent this forum.  You quickly learn topics to stay away from, and even those whose opinions with which you disagree often provide you with excellent advice and help.  I guess what I'm saying is that there are a great group of people who frequent this Forum, and make your RVing enjoyable when travelling.

Ed

There are several RV forums and generally political discussions are discouraged.. ON one where the moderators use a somewhat heavy hand I'm currently taking a "Vacation" (And have been told I'm missed) ... We run the gauntlet from conservative to liberal.. I've occasionally enjoyed rubbing a few conservatives in the truth.  Just be sure to exit before things come to a fist fight, Trump after all has told his followers to get violent with "Protesters" (people who tell the truth) and what's more he promised, then withdrew the promise to pay their legal bills.

So I for one will welcome you..    Jump in, just as someone else said, Speak of RV issues, avoid politics.

I find theres a lot of discussion with other RV'rs at the parks we've been to on: where you from, whats your favorite parks, wheres the best food in town, wheres Walmart or Sams Club, black tank problems, other mechanical issues, tire issues, etc, etc. Never had anyone talk politics. We are friendly people and like to help and share!!!! Welcome!

I am sure you will be accepted.  We even have RV salesmen and lawyers on the forum.  ;D

ModEdit: Fixed Smiley -LS  ;)

WOW.
Well, I should say too that the OTHER impression I've gotten from RV blogs and forums (a not-even-newbie's binge-reading of a few days) is a prevailing sense of community, solidarity in adventure, and friendliness.

And y'all have just proven it in spades. Thank you, sincerely--all who responded.

This just further fuels the daydream. I'll be back if it becomes more real. And will likely be lurking and learning anyway.

Wow again. And, yay! THANK YOU!

Warmly,
Petuunia

One thing, don't get into a residential vs absorbtion refrigerator discussion. Now you're talking about a hot button item!  ;)

(I'm joking, if you don't understand now, you'll understand later  :) )

Welcome

There are a lot of campers similar to you. It's a generalization but the young one's are probably back packing and tenting. Us older tree huggers are in small RV's . Also you will find a little difference in attitudes depending on where and how you camp. You'll figure it out with experience. Don't be afraid to join the RV world. As a whole their a great bunch of folks. I think we all have a great common interest, we love nature and the outdoors. You are welcome!
Happy Camping, Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom