Rodent protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youracman

I just got my new-to-me 07 31C home to Denver from Long Beach, CA and need to get it into a storage lot soon.  Any info on this (or similar) model WGOs regarding openings (dime-sized or larger) that I need to plug to (try to) keep the critters out would be greatly appreciated.  I plan to try the steel wool + cotton balls with peppermint oil approach.  I haven't found any openings, but I'm sure there are some?  If you own this model (or one similar) and could tell me where they are, it would be greatly appreciated.  Matter of fact, just any info on your experience with mice entering the MH would be appreciated.............more data points in my "continuing education". 

Best............. ed s

Pic of the rat eater. The heavy wire is the trailer electrical hookup to the TV, bottom of the hitch showing.

Attachments

• 13061917_10208290274168700_5133362462017660610_n.jpg
    13061917_10208290274168700_5133362462017660610_n.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 149
Frozn in Minnesota said:
I have used Fresh Cab and dryer sheets for 10-15 years and never had any problems. We have a few farm cats around but they seem to leave a few spares running around.

I'd say the cats are way more effective than the dryer sheets.  There are many stories here of dryer sheets being shredded by mice and spread all over the rig as nesting material.

This topic comes up once every couple months.  For an RV in storage, I highly recommend making & leaving a "bucket trap" inside the rig... see this thread: Utimate Mouse Trap

Mice prevention is  so hard to prove. An action does not necessarily cause the desired outcome.

I did not brush my teeth this morning and I saw no mice. Bad breath keeps them away.

I have a dog, and have never seen a unicorn. Unicorns are afraid of dogs.

Drawing a conclusion without more information and proof can lead a person astray.

That's why I prefer causing mouse death, with bodies left behind to prove it.  Then you KNOW you accomplished something.  ;)

halfwright said:
Mice prevention is  so hard to prove. An action does not necessarily cause the desired outcome.
Drawing a conclusion without more information and proof can lead a person astray.

I have as close to proof as I'll ever need: Any vehicle parked in the same rural (gravel) driveway as my stored rig always ended up with mouse nests in the glove boxes. We had mice in the adjoining garage and even in a bat habitat box, but none, ever, in my rig or engine compartment.

But I keep telling people on this forum what to use and they keep ignoring me, preferring instead to rig up traps, go to a lot of trouble, and use stuff that someone else always said did not work for them.

I have NEVER heard anyone say that Predator Pee did not work.

herekittykitty said:
I have NEVER heard anyone say that Predator Pee did not work.

Are you saying that works?  What would the predator pee be? Interesting concept. Where do you put it?

Or am I just falling for a smart alick answer to all the above.  I have never heard this.

Jeff in Minnesota said:
Are you saying that works?  What would the predator pee be? Interesting concept. Where do you put it?

Or am I just falling for a smart alick answer to all the above.  I have never heard this.

Naw, it's a true answer  - I just get tired of everybody ignoring me every time I mention it. I did a lot of research - including reading every dang thread about vermin on this forum - about keeping mice out since I knew we had a problem and I didn't want one in my RV.

Predator Pee is the ONLY solution I found that has no detractors. Somewhere on here are at least two more of my posts just like this, but people keep posting about dryer sheets and tin foil and traps and whatnot, so I'm a little jaded and bitter, is all.  :-\

Think 30 bucks is expensive? Try paying to replace all the wiring in your motorhome's engine compartment.
There, I've said my piece.  :)

For mice in a vehicle, this is your solution: https://www.predatorpeestore.com/bobcatpeeshots-8-pack_moreinfo.html.

For the 1-1/2 years my RV sat in a mouse-infested rural yard, I had NO mouse intrusion, while our cars certainly did.

It lasts WAY longer than they predict.
I changed the 5 little plastic bottles I used only once in that time, after the end of the first year, just because.

You want "proof"? I kept the garage remote inside a wood box screwed to the outside of the garage. Mice climbed up the wood wall of the garage and ate through the box, building nests inside it over and over again. I finally got sick of it, took one of my little bottles, and sprinkled about 2 tsp of the crystals in that box. That was the end of that.

I was in the PNW, where it rains more than half the year, and the RV had no protection. To keep the open bottles out of the rain I put one bottle on the top of each of my four tires (1 on each set of duallys), for a total of 4 bottles, and then 1 bottle in the engine compartment.

I still travel with them and use them when I'm in a grassy park for 3 weeks at a time. Don't know that I need to (probably not), but I have them, so I use 'em.

Their website is ugly and in dire need of updating but this is the real deal, and they will help you.

Many thanks to all.  I did get a response (over on iRV2) re possible openings in my Outlook and I plan to ck that out.  I ordered the Fresh Cab (free shipping to my local WalMart) and will try it......but it has detractors even though most say it is effective.  Thanks, John Hilley.

Thanks for the link to the predatorpee site, Karen.  Sounds like a good way to go and I appreciate your detailed response; e.g., where to put the bottles, etc.  I plan to get the "Bobcat Juice" for sure and have it on hand (in crystalline form I believe)?

When all else fails, there's the "Utilmate" ...... trap that is.  Thanks Scott......and to Chet for his long-ago post.  Yankee ingenuity...........can't beat it.  :^)    I hope to "head 'em off at the pass" before they enter; but if unsuccessful, a Saturday night antifreeze bath will await them.  Har Har

Thanks again..........Ed S the newbie in Denver

I have been using a product called Critter Out for the past several years spray every 3 wks  its organic wont harm animals or humans. I store in a rural wooded area, it works for me.

I can tell everyone what NOT to use...used kitty litter in old tied off socks! Don't make these and scatter around the bus and in the compartments. Mice use them as their toilet!
Don't ask me how I know!!

Thanks Karen for the recommendation. I just ordered some, if they work, fantastic!  That is the least labor intensive solution I have seen!

Thanks again Karen for all the info and message answer!!!!!  I called them as I had specific questions with regard to use in low temps. (-40) and odor and they got back to me within 24 hrs. Of my e-mail.  Have passed on the info to locals here also as with the SB we have pesky deer that they also have a cure for!!!!! So at least the local vegetation can have a try at life also!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom