Rodent protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mudshark said:
I can tell everyone what NOT to use...used kitty litter in old tied off socks! Don't make these and scatter around the bus and in the compartments. Mice use them as their toilet!
Don't ask me how I know!!

;D LOL Mudshark. Surprisingly, I would have thought that would work.

Thank you, Abendage and D-n-R.
Do come back here and let us know how it worked for you (although "proof" does take some real time).

And I probably should have added that info - that Predator Pee has solutions for many unwanted animals and situations.
For most of us, deer eating the vegetation, and then keeping rabbits and/or cats out of a garden probably comes next.

Go to their website, and if you want some individual help, they're great on the phone.

herekittykitty said:
Naw, it's a true answer  - I just get tired of everybody ignoring me every time I mention it. I did a lot of research - including reading every dang thread about vermin on this forum - about keeping mice out since I knew we had a problem and I didn't want one in my RV.

Predator Pee is the ONLY solution I found that has no detractors. Somewhere on here are at least two more of my posts just like this, but people keep posting about dryer sheets and tin foil and traps and whatnot, so I'm a little jaded and bitter, is all.  :-\

Think 30 bucks is expensive? Try paying to replace all the wiring in your motorhome's engine compartment.
There, I've said my piece.  :)

For mice in a vehicle, this is your solution: https://www.predatorpeestore.com/bobcatpeeshots-8-pack_moreinfo.html.

For the 1-1/2 years my RV sat in a mouse-infested rural yard, I had NO mouse intrusion, while our cars certainly did.

It lasts WAY longer than they predict.
I changed the 5 little plastic bottles I used only once in that time, after the end of the first year, just because.

You want "proof"? I kept the garage remote inside a wood box screwed to the outside of the garage. Mice climbed up the wood wall of the garage and ate through the box, building nests inside it over and over again. I finally got sick of it, took one of my little bottles, and sprinkled about 2 tsp of the crystals in that box. That was the end of that.

I was in the PNW, where it rains more than half the year, and the RV had no protection. To keep the open bottles out of the rain I put one bottle on the top of each of my four tires (1 on each set of duallys), for a total of 4 bottles, and then 1 bottle in the engine compartment.

I still travel with them and use them when I'm in a grassy park for 3 weeks at a time. Don't know that I need to (probably not), but I have them, so I use 'em.

Their website is ugly and in dire need of updating but this is the real deal, and they will help you.

I'm replying to this so I can keep a record - I am concerned about how they collect said item though? ?

D-n-R said:
Thanks again Karen for all the info and message answer!!!!!  I called them as I had specific questions with regard to use in low temps. (-40) and odor and they got back to me within 24 hrs. Of my e-mail.  Have passed on the info to locals here also as with the SB we have pesky deer that they also have a cure for!!!!! So at least the local vegetation can have a try at life also!!!!!!
I'm curious what they said about the odor, if you don't mind sharing. Thanks.

E5Jake said:
I'm curious what they said about the odor, if you don't mind sharing. Thanks.

I don't know whether or not they say anything about the odor on the website, but that has an interesting answer.
My first batch of little bottles didn't smell like much of anything, but they sure did the job.
My second batch reeked. The difference was so surprising that I called them to ask about it. The answer was something like, it depends on how recently it was processed (essentially how fresh it is), but that there was nothing to worry about.

I can attest that even if you don't smell much, the mice do and it definitely works. And if you get a batch that smells really strong, just keep the bottles inside the plastic bag they come in. You'll be using them outside anyway.  :)

herekittykitty said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

Hi, I meant you can't have them in TT when travelling - they would spill? Only when you are parked? Thanks  :)

Will this solution work on rabbits? I have a friend that needed to replace his spark plug wires due to the rabbits eating them the Rv storage is infested with them.

Oh, no, you could use them either underway or when stationary. But underway makes no sense, really... how would a mouse get into your moving vehicle? The point is to keep them from getting in in the first place.

Here's Predator Pee's solution for rabbits: https://www.predatorpeestore.com/fox-urine-peeshots-for-indoor-use-8pack_moreinfo.html

Go to their website. A bit further down "the fold" on their home page they have a "pick your pest" selection on one side and a "pick your problem" selection on the other. That's how I found out about keeping rabbits out of vehicles for your friend.

Since rabbits are unlikely to actually get INTO an RV, just into the engine compartment, this should be a cheap (long-term) solution for him. Just tell him to put one open cannister inside the engine compartment. (I used to use 2, but then decided I'd take their "it works for 10 feet" directions seriously, and only use one now.)

It lasts a very long time (longer than they say it does) - at least it did for me with mice. Since he has to buy an 8 pack, he could replace that sucker every 6 months.  $30 should cover him for 4 years.

Your friend can also just call or email Predator Pee and describe the situation. They are quite helpful and knowledgeable; have been doing this for 30 years. 207-478-6426.

herekittykitty said:
Oh, no, you could use them either underway or when stationary. But underway makes no sense, really... how would a mouse get into your moving vehicle? The point is to keep them from getting in in the first place.

Sorry I'm obviously not being clear  :eek:  I am concerned that if we put it out and it would spill during our trip to next site the TT would be smelly or we would have to keep closing and reopening them.

More concerned that if we asked someone to store TT and we put them in, they move it and all the stuff spills and then runs out ie becomes ineffective before we were back to replace it.  Hope you get what I mean.  ;D

Anyhow sounds like I don't need to worry about spilling it. I will be getting me some of that when we get out there...

Thanks so much for the recommendation! 

You shouldn't have to worry about it spilling, but if you are, just use some Fun Tak on the bottom, which is what I do with all of my collectibles, etc. that I never want to move. Stuff is invaluable. removes cleanly from everything. You could then mount on your dashboard or any surface you want, really.

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Fun-Tak-Mounting-2-Ounce-1087306/dp/B001F57ZPW

If you're storing the RV, really you should have one little cannister on top of each tire/set of tires anyway, to prevent them from getting in, plus one in your engine compartment, so I'd hope once it's stored, nobody else is going to be moving it.

But from my experience, having the stuff spill wouldn't be a bad thing. It still works! And my first set of cannisters didn't smell that strongly (to me) anyway.

herekittykitty said:
I have as close to proof as I'll ever need: Any vehicle parked in the same rural (gravel) driveway as my stored rig always ended up with mouse nests in the glove boxes. We had mice in the adjoining garage and even in a bat habitat box, but none, ever, in my rig or engine compartment.

But I keep telling people on this forum what to use and they keep ignoring me, preferring instead to rig up traps, go to a lot of trouble, and use stuff that someone else always said did not work for them.

I have NEVER heard anyone say that Predator Pee did not work.
Karen - I found your posts today - so Thank You!  I will be trying the Predator Pee.  Not sure if I need the liquid or the granules.  I will read some more.  I want the things that you remove the tops and leave in the engine compartment.  I can't tell from the web site if those are liquid or granules.  Guess it doesn't matter.  Won't be driving with them in there anyway - Duh!  Your posts are from over a year ago and I have not seen other comments about this stuff, so I hope that you continue to have success with it.  If it works for me, I will also post here and support this product.

Back
Top Bottom