2014 CRV towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamSamMom

We saw rave reviews for the Roadmaster sterling tow bar and had about decided that was what we wanted. Then we called the one place which has been highly recommended by 2 other hitch installers and he recommended the Blue Ox brand.  Any experience with either of these brands of tow bars?

He also said a braking system was .... somewhere between essential to necessary but we could do without it if we were on shorter trips- not out west (we live in GA which is fairly flat.) Any ideas?

And what will be the learning curve for towing? Where can we get driving tips about towing? When we were learning to drive the RV, having read about others experience was very helpful.

Thanks for your ideas.

Almost retired-
2015 ACE 27.1 -owned 6 months; 6 trips completed
2014 Honda CRV
2 people; 2 dogs who love to travel

I have Roadmaster tow bar and brake system, they work great, haven't had any problems. I wouldn't tow anything without a brake system, not worth it.

We have a Sterling All Terrain by Roadmaster that we bought used.  The pistons were all but frozen when we went to Quartzite last year.  Found out Roadmaster was there doing repairs so I took it to them.  A few hours later I picked up a perfectly functioning tow bar.  no charge

Having towed a CRV with and without toad brakes I can tell you that the difference in total braking is very noticeable.  It will make a big difference in a panic stop.

We've had both on different cars.  Both are reliable and both companies have good service.  Both tend to attend large rallies and provide service.  Roadmaster leaves notes on your door telling you they have serviced your tow bar!

Most of us consider auxiliary braking systems to be essential.  They provide additional braking by the car in emergency stops and might well prevent a jackknifing action of the toad.  Most states and provinces require one over a certain weight depending on the state/province.

Learning curves vary but it's not a big deal.  Jerry usually does the outside hookup and I do the inside hookup.  I can do both if necessary.  We both double-check the other during our final walkaround before driving away from the campsite.

ArdraF

Most states REQUIRE brakes on the toad if it weighs over 1500 pounds.  As others have said, they make a BIG difference. 

Are you a daredevil or would you rather be safe?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom